• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windows 8.1 pro

Chris B

master brummie
Hi All.
I have been using Windows 8.1pro for some time now, at first the stupid "Metro Opening" was a bit of a pest when you are not used to it, and as I am using it on a desk top not a touch screen lap top is was of no value whatsoever. Now I found this site https://www.classicshell.net/ where this nice man had devised this classic shell that after installing this small programme Windows 8.1 desktop looks like Windows 7 or the classic look if you prefer that one. So now I must say that I am quite happy to continue using the operating system because it loads up in seconds, especially on my SSD and it is very quick to respond to programmes and tasks when you ask for them, especially when editing DVD etc, all in all I must say I am quite impressed. So if you are stuck with Windows 8 on your lap top or desktop install this classic shell and your screen will look like it always has since the good old days of XP, and you will have the benefits of a nippy little operating system, and I have not found many updates coming down the line of late either.

Nice compromise Chris. I read a letter recently from someone in his early 80' who had changed to 8.1 Pro and said it took about a fortnight to get used to it and he now enjoys using it.

I read on a Windows forum that win 8 never actually shuts down even when you power off as it just hibernates, that's why it starts much faster than previous operating systems. Not sure on the terminology but it's something like that :)

you can use the start button which is in its usual place with the Win7/Classic shell (btm L/H corner toolbar) and select shutdown.
I have a shortcut which I have put on my desktop by selecting right click on blank part of desktop screen, select new then shortcut then type in the box shutdown -s -t 0 then click next then finish and you will have a icon appear on your desktop named shutdown.exe. when you click on this your computer will shutdown immediately. Change the icon if you like to something more appropriate right click on properties select change icon click ok on the pop up and select a new icon from the selection given. When my computer has closed down I switch mine off at the mains so there is no way it is hibernating and it still boots up in seconds.

I also have Windows 8.1 and have noticed over the last week - no junk mail at all. Is this only on 8.1 or on all other programmes?

I don't know if 8.1 pro is different to my 8.1 version, but my spam has been the same as usual

I would suggest that it is either Norton or the settings on your e-mail client. I don't think Windows 8.1 (any version) is anything to do with it. If you use Outlook.com e-mail that is not specifically Windows 8.1; it is part of Windows Internet Explorer I understand. Never used it myself as it seemed to be frequently compromised some years ago

I noticed the last post was almost a year old, but having just bought a lap top with windows 8.1 I would like to know your thoughts on 8.1 now that you’ve been using it for some time.

Nick

Window 8.1 users will be offered a free upgrade to Windows 10 later this year, just make sure you register with Microsoft. I use 8.1 but preferred XP so hopefully Win 10 should be more user friendly without have to resort to using add on start up software.

Its like everything in life its getting used to something new. I have just upgraded to an HTC mobile and dont find it as user friendly as the Nokia, everything has its ups and downs. I have to agree about XP though because I used it at work and found it great. Windows 8.1 is good the only thing I am not keen on is google chrome. But if I have a problem I find people on here are very good. I look forward to Windows 10.

I use Windows8.1 and like it and did not find it much different to Windows7 which I have in my 10 year old desktop. Most of my internet use is with Apple's iOS8.3 but I'm always happy with good old Windows which I've used since Windows3.1 ...
smile-new.png

Thanks for the replies, I used XP, and Vista and agree 8.1 is so different, have to get used to ’new’ things I suppose

Nick

Windows 8.1 is good the only thing I am not keen on is google chrome.
Hi Carolina - I'm just wondering whether you are you running Chrome in Windows 8 mode or in Desktop mode ?

If you click on the 3 lines in the top right hand corner a dialogue box comes up and if the 6th line says 'Relaunch Chrome in Windows 8 mode' this means you are running Chrome on the desktop. Stay with the desktop mode.

If when you click the lines the 6th line says 'Relaunch Chrome on the desktop' this means you are running Chrome in Windows 8 mode. You might want to try desktop mode.

Whichever you use, Chrome will always remember the mode you are using.

I found Chrome in Windows 8 mode did not suit me and if it was the only version available I would not use it.

Some fourteen years ago when I got my first XP desktop I read about the issues frequently found by users of IE (IE4 I believe at the time) and Outlook Express. Consequently I have rarely used IE - just for the news and Microsoft announcements and never the email Outlook or its sucessors. I used Firefox for many years as Default on the XP but have Opera now on both this desktop (W8.1) and laptop W.7. Firefox is available but as it never stays at an enlarged setting, it has to be enlarged for every web site you visit. I prefer Opera. Opera always stays at a 125% enlargement unless altered.

I have tried Chrome - and the Comodo Dragon version of Chrome - on XP and both present computers; they never really was a good browsers in my opinion and on the desktop Chrome certainly loads slower than Opera or Firefox, despite what Google says about it. I have removed it from both pcs.

XP was a great o/s, but like it or not we have to move on. W8.1 is fine as far as I am concerned and so is W7. However W8 certainly would not have been a good choice for me not wanting the 'touch screen' option.

I await W10. and I believe that those with W7 and W8 versions have already received updates for the conversion (even if they are unaware of it). Some folks, the techy guys, have not installed these updates but as I am not clever enough to know which they were I have installed all sent to me. Yesterday say 39 on W8.1 and something like 19 on W7.

At least it keeps us oldies on our toes and maybe is helpful for memory retention - despite recent studies to say we are equal to goldfish!

Yes I am still using Windows 8.1 pro and it has not given me any trouble, as I said in my original post I installed the classic shell and it all works fine, no complaints as far as I'm concerned.

have Opera now on both this desktop (W8.1) and laptop W.7.
I had not used Opera for years but seeing your post I decided to install it and fiddled with it's settings to make it look almost like Chrome with a bookmarks bar and various extensions which I use in Chrome. It was a bit cheeky when it became my default browser without asking but was nice when it automatically imported all my Chrome bookmarks. The little wheel spins fast when it loads a web page .... I'll see how it goes ...
encouragement.png

I received an email from Microsoft, it's the first in a series showing how to find your way around windows 8.1.
Seems to have some good advice, so I’m looking forward to receiving the others.
Nick

I'm watching AVFC on BTsport at the moment so this is coming from iOS 8 but one amusing thing with Opera, I accessed my Gmail from it and then received an email from Google saying that someone was accessing my account and if it wasn't me change the password. Then I accessed my iCloud mail and Apple sent we a similar email. So I probably need Chrome to read emails.

I have three AOL mail addresses and a GMail one. I have used Thunderbird (a sister product to Firefox) for some years for mail sending and reading. It allows you to read and send from ONE place saving the need to look in two or more places. It has always been reliable.

The onlyproblem I’ve found with windows 8.1 is when I’ve had to update anything andhave to close down, the restart seems to freeze at about 30% and goes into aloop, anyone experienced this, and is there a quick fix?

Nick
When I update often it goes to 30%, and then closes, and when it restarts starts at about 30% and goes to 100

In my case it closes itself, but you can have to wait a bit with "30% installed" on the screen for a while before it does so

Last Sunday just gone I went out and purchased a new computer. It came pre-installed with Windows 8.1. By Monday afternoon I had it up and running with Windows 10 installed, so I have still never tried W8.1 and so I can't pass any comment on it. I am still in the process of transferring everything from my old computer, nearly there though.

Back