• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 7

GEFF

Geff
A message " Not Responding" /the screen goes Misty and Freezes/ it also Freezes with out the Mist. Has it got a bug, I have Norton Security. GEFF.

Geff

Many be not, it seems your system is just hanging. Try doing a restart and then check for windows updates, do a disk clean up, also delete you browsing history (make sure you know your passwords to sites to sign in to first) and finally a defrag.

Its also worth making sure that Norton Security has the latest definitions loaded.

Geff

Many be not, it seems your system is just hanging. Try doing a restart and then check for windows updates, do a disk clean up, also delete you browsing history (make sure you know your passwords to sites to sign in to first) and finally a defrag.

Its also worth making sure that Norton Security has the latest definitions loaded.
Thanks Morturn for the instructions, I have no idea what it did to my PC, other than it is now working fine again. Memory loss is my problem I am 91+. GEFF

I thought an upgrade was £120. plus you will need a computer capable of running Windows 10.
What should you do with your Windows 7 PC?
Computers running Windows 7 will still function after Tuesday but they will become less and less secure.

Microsoft is urging people to move to Windows 10, a newer operating system that it sells for £120.

"Going forward, the best way for you to stay secure is on Windows 10," it said. "And the best way to experience Windows 10 is on a new PC."

It is possible to install Windows 10 on old PCs but Microsoft warns that it may not run smoothly.

In order to run Windows 10, PCs must have a 1GHz processor, 16GB of hard drive space, and 1GB of RAM memory.

Provided you are careful and also use anti virus (free) and maybe Malwarebytes (free) there is no need to be too worried. It may be time to consider buying a new Windows computer because it comes with Win 10 installed.

Useful info

How to still obtain the free Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade although it is not exactly straightforward for non technical folks.

You could always try Linux Mint. That's also free. You can have a dual boot Windows 7 and Linux option.
There are three well used versions of Mint, which you choose might depend on the age and specs of you computer.

Here’s how to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10:
Back up all of your important documents, apps, and data
Head over to Microsoft’s Windows 10 download site
In the Create Windows 10 installation media section, select “Download tool now,” and run the app
When prompted, choose “Upgrade this PC now.”
You’ll then be asked whether you want to keep your personal files or start fresh. Remember: starting fresh or keeping your files still means that all apps and settings will be deleted for the Windows 10 upgrade.
Once the upgrade is complete, you should receive a digital license for Windows 10, which can be found under Settings > Update & Security > Activation.

Simples!

My personal view of Windows 10 is; it is an operating system designed for the newer generation of processors, ideal in a new PC or laptop. An upgrade to an existing older processor computer seems to be a hit and miss affair, so I decided to wait until my PC needs replacing.

I build my own computers, so was able to future-proof the ones we use quite well, so have enjoyed nine years of reasonably trouble-free use. Mine will still render 4K video.

But times move on and in my view the biggest threat is hacking, manly done via programme weaknesses. With my laptop, I will switch of its internet connection. I only use it for presentations so that will be fine, its all up to date, and I can update Microsoft Office which is still supported.

I have just ordered the parts to upgrade our two PC’s. Both the same spec, so I will only be renewing the motherboard, processor and RAM. The hard drives and graphics cards can come across and I will dich the sound cards.

I have my copy of Windows 10 upgrade on a USB stick, so am almost good to go. If you don’t hear from me soon, my upgrade plans could have crashed.

Mort,

I used to build my own too until I moved out here, and returning some component that doesn't work is a major and expensive hassle. I then used to get them built to my spec by CCL near Leeds, but now carriage is hugely expensive so I've bought through a Greek guy I know locally. Add to that the fact that I am getting lazy and can't be bothered! :)

Maurice :cool:

Well Maurice the technology moves and develops so quickly I had to do a weeks’ worth of research to catch up again before I ordered a part. Its so easy to run into compatibility issues with computing

Too true, Mort, and this time I picked one with 250Gb of SSD and put the bulk of my data onto a 3Tb external disk. At least USB is pretty standard now.

Mort,

I used to build my own too until I moved out here, and returning some component that doesn't work is a major and expensive hassle. I then used to get them built to my spec by CCL near Leeds, but now carriage is hugely expensive so I've bought through a Greek guy I know locally. Add to that the fact that I am getting lazy and can't be bothered! :)

I am not getting lazy...,I always have been. I find it cheaper and less aggro now to buy one from pc world. living in the sticks,it costs a fortune in p&p

I've upgraded several Windows 7 computers to Windows 10 and only hit problems in the early years from 2015 (launch) to 2018. They always upgraded ok but sometimes had trouble running because of Microsoft problems. They seem to have now stabilised Win 10 and it runs very well for me. The BHF has the 'story' of Windows 10 in the long Windows 10 thread which started on 1st June 2015 .... how cautious we all were back then ... :grinning:

Windows 7 will continue to work without Microsoft support but if anyone is thinking of upgrading their existing Windows 7 computer to Windows 10 the following link has good instructions on how to do it.
They confirm in post#8 of the thread that the upgrade is still free ...:)

Back up any important photos or files to a USB or other media ... you should be doing this anyway ...;)
Read through the procedure and make notes of the important bits.
Although the procedure normally detects the windows 7 product key of your computer it may be useful to write it down in case you have to enter it. It is usually on a sticker on the device but if not a Google search tells how to find it.
If your internet connection is slow it will take time .... hour plus maybe ...

Note at Step 10 in the procedure (halfway through) you can cancel the upgrade if you want to.

Last edited:
Back