• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

windows 7 home

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
My OS is windows 7 home. The other day I dowloaded service pack 1, I did'nt have any problems with it so I decided to download Internet Explorer 9 thats just came out. Everything seemed ok till I came on the forum,and I started to read some threads, but when I clicked on a picture to enlarge it, explorer crashes. After a while I got fed up of it so I reverted back to IE8. Is anyone else trying IE9 and Windows7 and is everything ok?.

Terry

I've recently given up completely on IE. When the net runs slowly, as it frequently does over here, IE8 completely locks up whilst trying to load from the various advertisement sites and you can't terminate it without resorting to the Task Manager.

I've now made the latest version of Firebox my default browser. It doesn't hang up when trying to load from slow sites and it displays the URLs of sites it is actually loading from. Much better.

As for IE9, it won't run on XP, the version of Windows that 60% of machines are still using, and I have no intention of upgrading from XP until it is forced on me. Not a very smart move by Microsoft again!

My other half was persuaded to upgrade to Windows 7 and she absolutely hates it! :(

Maurice :cool:

I have Windows Vista Home Premium since changing my PC nearly 4 years ago, later adding SP1 and SP 2did not like it at first, but now prefer it to my old Windows XP, now after only a short time they have brought out Windows 7 what is superior about Windows 7 and is it worth changing, I've only just sussed out Vista, I'm considering changing my PC later this year so I suppose I will have to have Windows 7 as the OS. I know one thing it will be another Tower PC, cannot stand Lap Tops. I also changed to IE9 but it was missing one or two items, so I reverted to IE8. Eric

Last edited:
Yes, Eric, I hate laptops too, though I have to use one sometimes. You can make Windows 7 look somewhat more like XP by installing this free XP Classic Shell:-

https://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/

but the underlying file structures of Windows 7 are somewhat different to those of XP. Be aware also that Outlook Express no longer exists under Windows 7 and and the earlier versions of Outlook do not work satisfactorily either. Whilst you will have basic printer drivers already installed as part of Windows 7, these are in many cases unidirectional. Whilst they will print fine, some printers are unable to return information about the status of inks running out, etc. without loading a supplementary driver from the printer's manufacturer.

So what has the average home user gained by upgrading to Vista or Windows 7 from XP? In my humble opinion, very little! Sure Windows 7 initially loads slightly faster and comes with a network already installed if you are connecting to other computers running Windows 7, but that is about it. If the other machines are running a different version of Windows, you've still got a fair bit of tweaking to do. Is the frustrating learning curve worth it? I don't think so.

If I can get used to Windows 7 anybody can lol I like it because it automatically helps you with any problems, great for me as you might guess

I am happy with 'Windows 7' Hate 'Dell' but getting on OK with 'IE9'.

My OS is windows 7 home. The other day I dowloaded service pack 1, I did'nt have any problems with it so I decided to download Internet Explorer 9 thats just came out. Everything seemed ok till I came on the forum,and I started to read some threads, but when I clicked on a picture to enlarge it, explorer crashes. After a while I got fed up of it so I reverted back to IE8. Is anyone else trying IE9 and Windows7 and is everything ok?.

Terry
Have installed IE9 on a Windows 7 & Vista Home premium OS with no problems at all. Funny though I tried twice to install Windows 7 sp1 and each time it failed, finally after disabling Windows Firewall it installed - obviously doesn't recognize one of it's own!!
IE8 v IE9 - at present prefer IE8, but like to keep pc's up to date with the latest!

Downloaded IE9 a couple of weeks ago, had to revert to IE8 as BT Yahoo would not work. I've used Windows 7 since it was introduced (free upgrade from Vista) and find it as easy to use as XP on my other PC, make sure that automatic update is turned on as new security updates have been issued following the release of service pack 1.

I never upgraded to Vista, that happened to be the OS on the PC when I bought it nearly 4 years ago, no doubt when I change my Pc again, which I am considering doing it will have Windows 7 as its OS (unless some later system comes out) . sospiri, I dont use Outlook Express, am with BT Openworld and use BT Mail for my emails. I find when you do change your OS it can affect your hard ware, I had to change my printer/scanner because it was only partly compatable to Vista, tried updating drivers but no difference, gave to my sister because she had my old XP PC, but she has bought a new PC with Windows 7 OS and now she had to purchase a new printer/scanner. Eric

Ha ha, they get you one way or another, Eric! :)

But printers are dirt cheap these days and there's a new model from people like Epson every three or four months. A few years ago the hardware was much more expensive than the software. Now the reverse is frequently true., but if you look around there are many freeware and shareware packages that perform as well, if not better, than the more expensive stuff, Open Office, Irfanview, VLC, & Avast to name just four.

I'm still on XP and, from what I've gathered, will remain with it for the foreseeable future. Did Windows peak with this operating system I wonder. If all goes well and I've got enough in the piggy bank I'd like my next move to be to a Mac.

Can someone tell me how to get a "Cannon" Scanner on to Windows 7, I am fed up with trying and I do miss using it for Photo`s, I found XP easy to use, Windows 7 is to technical for me. Geff

Geff:

It's possible that, if an old scanner, there are no Windows 7 drivers for it. However, before we can help you further, we need to iknow the model number of the scanner.

I just took Sospiri's advice and downloaded Firefox to try instead of IE8, which just jams when trying to open websites with ads attached - I use several internet business-directories all with ads and have been driven nuts with them jamming. So far, Firefox is much better. Thanks Maurice.

Big Gee

Hi Big Gee,

Yes, it takes a bit of getting used to on the navigation side, but I could never get the search to work on IE8. It would open the search box, but wouldn't allow you to type anything into it, so that was another bonus for me. :)

Hallo Sospiri, Thanks for the offer of help, my scanner is a flatbed Cannon LiDE 25 --LiDe 60. I have tried to find a driver but with no luck. I still have the XP and I am thinking I might set it up again with the Cannon Scanner for photos, I can then put them on a disk and transfer them to the windows 7 when needed. Geff

I run on Windows 7 which has been ok. Tried to upload IE 9 and found that my e mail with sky wouldn't work. Didn't particularly like the browser either. Anyway, being a bit of a novice, it took me all night to remove IE9 and then found an undate that had been downloaded extra and until I had uninstalled that wasn't able to read my e mails.:sweat: Thank goodness am back to how it was before.The trouble is that by the time something like that happens again I will have forgotten how I did it. :confused2:
Lynda:)

Back