• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windows 10

I unfortunately pressed reset in settings, and it deleted everything which now sit in a removed apps folder, on my desktop, and I don't know how to reinstate them, can anyone help please. Paul

I unfortunately pressed reset in settings, and it deleted everything which now sit in a removed apps folder, on my desktop, and I don't know how to reinstate them, can anyone help please. Paul
Hi Paul,
If you click on the Removed Apps folder or icon it should open in a browser (probably Edge) and you should see a list of apps and who published them as shown below. In my old desktop computer I did not have many apps as you can see.
Unfortunately you have to re-install the apps and in the list some of them will be blue links which if you click on them will go to the web site where the app can be downloaded from. The other apps have to be downloaded from wherever you originally got them, or from the listed publisher.

Phil
index.php

Attachments

• Captureapps.JPG
    Captureapps.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Thanks Phil, I thought as much, but am not as technically able as you, so will crack on and see what I can do. Regards Paul

Want to easily see how reliable your Win 10 computer is and what comes in daily from Microsoft ?

Make a Shortcut to the Reliability Monitor

Right click anywhere on the desktop screen.
In the small window which appears click on 'New'
In the next small window click on 'Shortcut'
A window will appear showing 'Type the location of the item'
In the box in the window type perfmon /rel
Then click 'Next'
Type a name for your shortcut such as 'Reliability Monitor'
Click 'Finish' and a nice little icon should appear on your desktop screen.

A click on the icon will show how your computer has been performing over the previous two weeks ...

Note: the space between the n of perfmon and the forward slash is important, and no space between the forward slash and the r of rel.

Last edited:
Hi Paul - did you have the space between the n of 'perfmon' and the forward slash ?
like this perfmon /rel
It can't find the file if that space is not there.
Phil

Worked for me. Not sure what it shows but has the potential of impressing the kids!
Whereas I can get onto the forum from an email notification my usual route from a saved favourite link results in "HTTP 500 error" Has this anything to do with the recent server crash.

Worked for me. Not sure what it shows but has the potential of impressing the kids!
Whereas I can get onto the forum from an email notification my usual route from a saved favourite link results in "HTTP 500 error" Has this anything to do with the recent server crash.
In my old desktop it showed me with red crosses that my graphics adaptor was clashing with Norton security and I had to install a screen fix from Norton after which all was ok.

With regard to the https 500 error it is something to do with servers but the forum is running perfectly for me at present. Perhaps you could try clearing your browser cache etc, and perhaps check exactly what the address of the links from your emails are. I read all my emails in an iPhone and just tried a link from it with no problems. I don't normally click on links in emails when I'm using Windows.

In Windows 7 I always created a restore point before I installed new software or made changes so that if it did not work or something was wrong I could go back to the earlier time. In Windows 10 you need 3 or 4 clicks to get to the create or restore procedure. Below is a 'one click' method.

Make a Windows 10 Shortcut for 'Create a Restore Point' and 'Restore to Earlier Time'

Right click anywhere on the desktop screen.
In the small window which appears click on 'New'
In the next small window click on 'Shortcut'
A window will appear showing 'Type the location of the item'
In the box in the window exactly type %windir%\System32\SystemPropertiesProtection.exe
Then click 'Next'
Type a name for your shortcut such as 'System Restore'
Click 'Finish' and a nice little icon should appear on your desktop screen.

When you click on the icon which has appeared on your desktop screen you should see the following.
The 'Create' button at the bottom creates.
The 'System Restore' button near the top restores.
SysProps.JPG

Very Interesting as the Laff in guy said. I cant get on Brum Hist on GOOGLE CHROME I have to use Internet Explorer ??? John Crump

In my old desktop it showed me with red crosses that my graphics adaptor was clashing with Norton security and I had to install a screen fix from Norton after which all was ok.

With regard to the https 500 error it is something to do with servers but the forum is running perfectly for me at present. Perhaps you could try clearing your browser cache etc, and perhaps check exactly what the address of the links from your emails are. I read all my emails in an iPhone and just tried a link from it with no problems. I don't normally click on links in emails when I'm using Windows.
Lots of red crosses.
Opened up BHF from the web site found via a google search recreated as a "favourite" and was able up to reopen without any problems

Screenshot (38a).jpg

Lots of red crosses.
Opened up BHF from the web site found via a google search recreated as a "favourite" and was able up to reopen without any problems
Looking at your reliability history you seem to be running smooth since 9 Feb. I had a load of red crosses in this laptop about the same dates as on your chart and have run smooth since the 9 Feb

Very Interesting as the Laff in guy said. I cant get on Brum Hist on GOOGLE CHROME I have to use Internet Explorer ??? John Crump
Hi John, I use Google Chrome with no problems and see the BHF ok.
Clear whatever is in the Chrome address bar then try typing the forum's web address directly in the Chrome address bar at top of screen.

If that does not work try clearing the Chrome cache. You can do that by clicking the menu (3 lines top right), then 'more tools', then 'clear browsing data' and then try the BHF site.

Or perhaps you could uninstall Chrome then stop and restart your computer, then download Chrome from Google, install it and then type the forum's address directly into the top address bar.

The forum website address is https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/forum.php
oldmohawk

Looking at your reliability history you seem to be running smooth since 9 Feb. I had a load of red crosses in this laptop about the same dates as on your chart and have run smooth since the 9 Feb
Had browser "serviced" by ISP just about then. Any relevance?

I put that into Google - interesting answers which I did not understand - I'm not sure how an ISP can service a browser but so long as your device is running smooth it's ok.

John. I remember him...the German looking through the green foliage. However I will be surprised if any of the younger folk on the BHF remember him!!!

Cheers

Eddie

Hi Paul -to enable the 'hibernation' function in your laptop try the following ...

Hold the 'Windows' key down and press X this opens the Power Menu

In the Power Menu click on Command Prompt (Admin) this brings up the command window.

In the command window, type powercfg/h on and press enter
note the space between the h and on is important.

Now when you click the start button (bottom left) and then click on Power you should see the 'Hibernate' option has been added as below .
power.jpg

Perhaps as a first check click on 'Hibernate' and check that the computer hibernates.

After this 'Power Options' can be set up such as 'what the computer should if you don't use it for say 30 mins'

To access the 'Power Options'

Hold the 'Windows' key down and press X this opens the Power Menu

In the Power Menu click on 'Power Options'

In the Window which appears you can select quite a few options such as 'Change plan settings' etc.

The advantage of 'hibernate' is it saves what you are doing and then shuts down the computer.
The computer then starts up very fast exactly where it was hibernated.
If necessary you can safely switch off at the mains when the computer is hibernated.

Hi Paul - when I upgraded last year I found 'hibernate' was not in Win 10 in my laptop so had to use the method I had described.
It keeps our old brains active ....
Phil

Last edited:
Having used Windows 10 since July 2015 I thought 'what don't I like about it' and could only think of three features.

The Edge browser.
Why should I find my way round a new browser when I have Chrome which I know inside out and which syncs across my devices. I use about 50 or more bookmarks in Chrome and when I tried importing them into Edge it could not organise them in a sensible way.
As an alternative browser I do occasionally use Internet Explorer but Microsoft hid it away in Windows 10 ... although it can be found !
Edge is integrated in the system and seems to be doing things even if you don't use it.

Compulsory Updates in the 'home' version.
I have not had any major problems with updates but I would like the same control over them as in Windows 7.

Cortana
'He' or 'She' got kicked out in the first half hour of my use of Win 10.

Everything else I like !

I would like to have my date as in my English culture, 2/3/16, rather than 3/2/16, but cannot change it, I also think that W10, is more controlling than W7, but quicker.Paul

On Windows7 i spend a fair bit of time playing chess, hearts, solitaire & mahjong. Are these available on windows 10? I`m quite happy with win7, but if these games are available on w10, then i may give it a try.

Hi Smudger - I had a look in my Win 10 for games.

Solitaire appeared to be built in ...
Solitaire.jpg

Mahjong was in the Windows Store it says it is free
Screenshot (3).jpg

Chess was in the Windows Store it says it is free
Screenshot (4).jpg

Note: sometimes 'free' on the internet does not always mean free, there is often a catch somewhere !
If you do upgrade choose the 'keep existing apps and files option'.
If you don't like Win 10 or it won't run properly you have 30 days to recover back to Win 7.

If you are happy with Win 7 and have no real need to upgrade, stay with it.

Can you help me please? I keep getting a flash message when I log in: Cannot sign in to windows standard users unable to log in. I haven't got a clue what to do about this as I am computer ignorant apart from the basics, this has happened before after windows update but seemed to right itself after a while. If you can help please keep it as basic as possible Thank you

Back