• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

Internet Explorer will be retired and go out of support on June 15, 2022. I didn't think anyone still used it.
I remember using it up to 2009 and for old time's sake just tried it in Windows 11 and Microsoft got a bit puzzled :grinning:

Well I have got a new pc coming today, it is Windows 11.
I still have Linux Cinnamon on my existing pc and Laptop.
The problem with Linux is it does not support certain Ham radio procedures in a new Yauesu FT3DE hand held radio. Due to my present incapacity I wish to develop digital modes and only W11 will support this. So I have to get to grips with Windows again. I do intend to dual boot with both Windows and Linux but will await the new Linux Cinnamon, 21, due out next month.

Well I have got a new pc coming today, it is Windows 11.
I still have Linux Cinnamon on my existing pc and Laptop.
The problem with Linux is it does not support certain Ham radio procedures in a new Yauesu FT3DE hand held radio. Due to my present incapacity I wish to develop digital modes and only W11 will support this. So I have to get to grips with Windows again. I do intend to dual boot with both Windows and Linux but will await the new Linux Cinnamon, 21, due out next month.
best of luck with it om take care 73

As a Windows 11 user I was away on Sunday and used an iMac in an 'all Apple' house. I found the 'magic mouse' a bit strange ... to scroll down the content on screen I had to move my finger towards the screen and away from the screen to scroll up the content ... seemed the wrong way to me.

I suppose it was because on Windows 11 I rotate the mouse wheel 'backwards' to scroll down the content and 'forwards' to scroll up the content.

I've found that websites look the same whichever operating system is used and we all use our computers differently.

One device I never use is the touchpad on my laptop ... I disable it (in settings) and always use a wireless mouse.
:)

I picked my new Lenovo computer up yesterday, W11. The dealer was working on it for 8 days after they loaded a new version of office on it. Apparently, MS got hacked in the US and the dealers Best Buy blocked MS. Google & MS are not too friendly. The good news is everything is working well, still finding my way around it. The bad news I was BB first client with this issue, now they have lots but know how to fix!
PS: this computer has blazing speed and it already is anticipating me :cool:

As a Windows 11 user I was away on Sunday and used an iMac in an 'all Apple' house. I found the 'magic mouse' a bit strange ... to scroll down the content on screen I had to move my finger towards the screen and away from the screen to scroll up the content ... seemed the wrong way to me.

I suppose it was because on Windows 11 I rotate the mouse wheel 'backwards' to scroll down the content and 'forwards' to scroll up the content.

I've found that websites look the same whichever operating system is used and we all use our computers differently.

One device I never use is the touchpad on my laptop ... I disable it (in settings) and always use a wireless mouse.
:)
oldMohawk, I use both the wireless mouse and the touch pad. I need all the help I can get!

The new W11 pc is a 24" Lenovo 'All-in-one' that has USB ports - 2 X 2.0 and 2 x 3.0. No CD/DVD facility.
I have usually bought HP but I didn't find one suitable. I soon found it recognisable to W10 which I have used in the past. Monday and part of Tuesday saw it mainly set up with minor adjustments since.
I find it alright but suffers from the usual Microsoft habit of being somewhat too helpful.
My existing 22" HP Elite, which was installed with Linux Cinnamon is now back to W10. I still have Linux on my Sony VAIO laptop.

hi. please does anyone know how to put a pic on a desktop icom link.

We still have our Amiga 600 up in the loft. We also had a ZX spectrum for our first computing purchase, Our relatives in New Zealand were unable to get a Spectrum for some weird reason which escapes me but we sent them ours when we got the Amiga

I never got into any of that, if I couldn't put a spanner on it it didn't interest me.:)
My first computer I bought for the business, an Amstrad 1512 and a Sage accountancy programme, turned out to be a waste of time because Sage updated the software so it would only run on a hard disk which the 1512 didn't have.

I never got into any of that, if I couldn't put a spanner on it it didn't interest me.:)
My first computer I bought for the business, an Amstrad 1512 and a Sage accountancy programme, turned out to be a waste of time because Sage updated the software so it would only run on a hard disk which the 1512 didn't have.
i bought that program and i too thought it pants

Good evening all, I've not been here in a while, stupid things like having covid and other stuff has kept me busy but I'm back on track ;)

I've got a lot of 'treasure' in boxes that I'm going to sort through and get rid of including early computers/PCs/consoles. My daughter is not interested but my 6'4" baby boy has earmarked some stuff and 14 year old grandson is having other stuff (he's currently teaching himself machine code on a ZX81). Its quite a reality check when you start going through stuff and think "get shot now or it'll end up in a skip"

My new desktop has said goodbye to W11 now that Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 is out. My laptop also has Linux Cinnamon installed. However, my former desktop still has W10 in order to run some Ham programmes.
(see earlier post)

Back