• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windows 10

oldMohawk, I have a new computer on order which should arrive in about 10 days with W11. I will be r7nning this with an existing HP printer about 11/2 years old. Would you expect something like this to happen?
Hi Richard,
I think your HP printer will work satisfactorily with Windows 11. With regard to my Canon printer Windows deleted the driver files which to the system signals the 'hardware' is not there although it was actually connected. I had no problems reinstalling the printer and it works perfectly.

I sometimes think that Microsoft create little tests to keep us 'oldies' alert and on our toes ... ;)

Last edited:
One of the best hackers of old tech ** on the internet, Fran Blanche of Fran Labs, pretty much says here what I think about Windows 10!

Not only do you have to hunt to find stuff the view can change from day to day depending on what Microsoft thinks you need to know.

** Not many people have rebuilt an Apollo computer!

i had one of them from a boot sale:) but swapped it next day for a walkman
Back in those days you increased memory (too bad I can’t do for me) buy buying the individual chips and putting them in. The other thing I remember was that the 120 drive was SO noisey! The first time I ran it I wondered if I should oil it.

For the first job I had where I had a small amount of influence, the electronics were components being soldered into veroboard. I changed that to use custom printed circuit boards (PCB), and then persuaded to company to buy me a TRS80. That was used for 'development' work on a 4 bit processor that we incorporated into the equipment. I built a parallel interface that attached to our PCB and programmed some battery backed memory that the processor subsequently executed from. Heady days.

the 120 drive was SO noisey! The first time I ran it I wondered if I should oil it.
Yes, definitely. You would have needed Citroen mineral oil so as not to contaminate the drive hydraulics :imp:.

Andrew.

For the first job I had where I had a small amount of influence, the electronics were components being soldered into veroboard. I changed that to use custom printed circuit boards (PCB), and then persuaded to company to buy me a TRS80. That was used for 'development' work on a 4 bit processor that we incorporated into the equipment. I built a parallel interface that attached to our PCB and programmed some battery backed memory that the processor subsequently executed from. Heady days.

Yes, definitely. You would have needed Citroen mineral oil so as not to contaminate the drive hydraulics :imp:.

Andrew.
:cool:

Maybe I'm the only forum member who likes Windows 11 ... :grinning:

I have the 'normal' 21H2 version in my Desktop PC and an 'insider' experimental 22H2 version in my laptop. I use both versions everyday.

Maybe I'm the only forum member who likes Windows 11 ... :grinning:

I have the 'normal' 21H2 version in my Desktop PC and an 'insider' experimental 22H2 version in my laptop. I use both versions everyday.
I all fairness, I think I am what’s known as a late adapter. My PC (home built) is still fine doing what I want it to do, although I have made it W11 ready.

Adobe creative cloud has just done a major update with the interface on Premier Pro looking completely different now. That’s a bit frustrating.

I all fairness, I think I am what’s known as a late adapter. My PC (home built) is still fine doing what I want it to do, although I have made it W11 ready.

Adobe creative cloud has just done a major update with the interface on Premier Pro looking completely different now. That’s a bit frustrating.
Last year I looked at updating to W11 but after looking around decided against getting a new computer. Mine is 2016 and I use it for amongst other things consulting work. So it has to run. I have an iPad but my skill set on that are not so good. I spoke to a couple of IT friends whom I respect and are not selling anything. They both said you will know when its time. It will start slowing down, need to reboot more frequently even after disc clean ups etc. Unless it crashes it should keep running then finally get very slow. Well, it gotten slower and slower, still works well but I am a little concerned it might stop in the middle of the wrong thing.
I stopped looking for about 6 months and made the decision to jump in. Of course I had to wait a week and a half because it was not in stock, fingers crossed!

mine has gone very slow,but me thinks it is due to having copper not fiber and a pants isp.
Pete, I think it's more than slowing, rebooting etc. Regarding your, you may be right but mine was acting up, having said that it has been great for the past week, go figure!

i have just re loaded win 10 on me laptop that is slow as well now, could it be someting to do with the latest ver?

yes often and del unwanted apps.and win old etc but still slower than it was, the movies buffer a lot now
What reading do you get when you hit the GO button on the following

I get 43.09mbps download and 8.09mbps upload.
This is not classed as fast these days but ok for me.
I have Fibre to the Cabinet with 400metres of Copper to the house.

Is it slow internet or does a particular app run slow?
since the isp is the same rubbish. since this ver 10.019044 uploaded with timeline and on this day in history it seems slower www connected or not. no fttc here yet its only 11mh max

You can easily put Linux on a pc with a DVD or stick, The simpler way, I find, is with a DVD. It is a little slower but easier to follow I find. You can get them from the Linux Shop. *just just in name in a search.

I had an old computer which struggled with the latest Windows 10/11 so I decided to put the free Linux operating system in it. I didn't really need to but I thought I would try it. I used the following website which has step by step instructions to create a bootable USB stick to install Linux Mint 20. It was much easier than I thought it would be.

A screenshot of Linux Mint 20 with Chrome running and the BHF on screen. I've had Zoom sessions on it using a Logitech Webcam. It is very secure but the Linux help forums are not user-friendly.
Screenshot from 2022-06-06 18-57-55.jpg
ps: I still prefer Windows .... ;)

Last edited:
I had an old computer which struggled with the latest Windows 10/11 so I decided to put the free Linux operating system in it. I didn't really need to but I thought I would try it. I used the following website which has step by step instructions to create a bootable USB stick to install Linux Mint 20. It was much easier than I thought it would be.

A screenshot of Linux Mint 20 with Chrome running and the BHF on screen. I've had Zoom sessions on it using a Logitech Webcam. It is very secure but the Linux help forums are not user-friendly.
View attachment 170705
ps: I still prefer Windows .... ;)
thank you OM

When Linux and Red Hat were launched they were going to be the end of Microsoft and IBM operating systems, does anyone know why this failed to materialize?
Also when IBM had Lotus Smart Sweet, even the IBMers preferred Office.
Just thinking out loud

Most of the time I simply just use my computer and don't mind Microsoft holding my hand but occasionally like to delve into the 'works'. At the moment I have Apple holding my hand as I post this from my iPad ... :grinning:

Back