• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

I'm the same with some technological items. problem is, should I die first my wife won't be able to turn on the heating, the electric fire, open the car door, access the bank accounts, or operate the television because they are all remote control (hand sets or an app on the phone).
When I think I have less than three months to live and my wife is still here, I will have installed in my lounge a row of LARGE different coloured switches. The switches will operate whatever that is controlled now by an app or remote control now but at the 'flick of a switch'.
A friend asked me a while back if i had put together a 'death book'. What is that? I asked.
It seems a good idea to me now. Something that your partner can access after your demise, showing them where the money is kept (wink, wink) bank passwords, computer passwords, where the will, house deeds and pension info is kept etc. I'm sure there are more bits of information that need to be passed.
Happy days.
The death book sounds an excellent idea even if it is the elephant in the room. I have friend who was suddenly widowed, it took months for her to get control of things like banks accounts, utility bills etc as he had always done everything.

A friend asked me a while back if i had put together a 'death book'. What is that? I asked.
It seems a good idea to me now. Something that your partner can access after your demise, showing them where the money is kept (wink, wink) bank passwords, computer passwords, where the will, house deeds and pension info is kept etc. I'm sure there are more bits of information that need to be passed.
Happy days.
I have a 'death memory stick' stored in a safe place with a back-up stick stored in another safe place. All content on them are in password protected PDF files which can easily be read in any computer.
So plug the memory stick in any computing device, enter the master password and it's all available.

I have a 'death memory stick' stored in a safe place with a back-up stick stored in another safe place. All content on them are in password protected PDF files which can easily be read in any computer.
So plug the memory stick in any computing device, enter the master password and it's all available.
Good idea.

After the above sombre comments about books and sticks ... here is a 'happy' pic of Win 11 ... :)
Right click on a photo and the W11 context menu has icons for 'copy' - 'rename' - 'delete'. It saves scrolling down the menu as it was with W10.
Screenshot (744).jpg

What is the point ? It does not take much effort to switch on lights or draw curtains. I have a timer on my cooker anyway. This modern high tech is making everybody lazy. Maybe I live in the past. Eric
yes thats true as long as i am able then NO gimmicks to turn on my appliances, plus i dont trust these so called smart thingies anyone could be earwigging,..my router is lan not wifi:worried:

when i pop mi clogs i dont give a kippers who has me pc.

I'm the same with some technological items. problem is, should I die first my wife won't be able to turn on the heating, the electric fire, open the car door, access the bank accounts, or operate the television because they are all remote control (hand sets or an app on the phone).
When I think I have less than three months to live and my wife is still here, I will have installed in my lounge a row of LARGE different coloured switches. The switches will operate whatever that is controlled now by an app or remote control now but at the 'flick of a switch'.
Happy days.
How appropriate after last Saturday.
Bob

Looking at the screensaver on windows 11, do any of you have favourite pictures you use as screen savers here are five of mine,

Attachments

• 5A5BE9DE-FC3C-40EC-93E6-FE051C93DE76.jpeg
    5A5BE9DE-FC3C-40EC-93E6-FE051C93DE76.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 5235D91E-B9EF-4E35-B18C-71A6E96D112A.jpeg
    5235D91E-B9EF-4E35-B18C-71A6E96D112A.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DBBE724D-B967-4DC8-89CF-CBBE148D4F16.jpeg
    DBBE724D-B967-4DC8-89CF-CBBE148D4F16.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 2DF04C44-57DD-40EF-AE05-69BCC664922B.jpeg
    2DF04C44-57DD-40EF-AE05-69BCC664922B.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 5
  • E87F94EE-4BE0-4E59-90FA-EBE89F5304D0.jpeg
    E87F94EE-4BE0-4E59-90FA-EBE89F5304D0.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 5
Nice shot of Chatsworth, I think.
Yes it is a photo I took during a visit to Chatsworth in June 2001. I usually like to have a photo as my desktop background and the one below was taken at Nostell Nr Wakefield Yorks in 2018.
Screenshot (745).jpg
With W10 and W11 a right click on any pic in the computer offers the option of making it the desktop background. Set the pic on full to fill the screen.
The two part taskbar with rounded corners was created with a very experimental app from the Microsoft Store.
:)

Yes it is a photo I took during a visit to Chatsworth in June 2001. I usually like to have a photo as my desktop background and the one below was taken at Nostell Nr Wakefield Yorks in 2018.
View attachment 164418
With W10 and W11 a right click on any pic in the computer offers the option of making it the desktop background. Set the pic on full to fill the screen.
The two part taskbar with rounded corners was created with a very experimental app from the Microsoft Store.
:)
Know it well beautiful

I have been looking around at new notebooks, currently I have a Lenovo Yoga, Apple tablet & iPhone, they are all working together. The Lenovo is running windows 10 & Outlook.

What i am dismayed about is that most new note books do not have a slot for an SD card or an USB for my CD drive or an extra one for my scanner. I have a small consulting practice so the scanner & CD are very useful from time to time.

All of a sudden is not a new notebook but I have to buy all kinds of other stuff making everything else redundant. Talk about built in obsolescence. Just the principle! Sorry for the rant!

I have been looking around at new notebooks, currently I have a Lenovo Yoga, Apple tablet & iPhone, they are all working together. The Lenovo is running windows 10 & Outlook.

What i am dismayed about is that most new note books do not have a slot for an SD card or an USB for my CD drive or an extra one for my scanner. I have a small consulting practice so the scanner & CD are very useful from time to time.

All of a sudden is not a new notebook but I have to buy all kinds of other stuff making everything else redundant. Talk about built in obsolescence. Just the principle! Sorry for the rant!
Thank Apple and Microsoft. It’s their fault.

Back