• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windows 10

I have d/l W11 onto my laptop & the first problem i`ve noticed is, my W7 games that i imported onto W10 have disappeared. I play these games ( chess titans, hearts. etc ) & i would like to get them onto W11. Anyone got a solution?

I have a laptop that i rarely use but it is compatible for W11, so i`m now in the process of downloading it. 2 hours later & it still hasn`t finished. Patience is a virtue & she was a really nice girl. ;)
WOW Smudger, I have not heard that one in a very long time!

An SSD in an older laptop is money well spent. I was about to chuck out my 5-year-old laptop, but with a new SSD it goes like a rocket. When you copy the old HHD you may find a couple of the drivers will not work, but there is a fix for that anyway.
I have changed to SSDs now on two Win 10 laptops (one started as Win 7) and found the process straightforward. I must say I was surprised, as Microsoft has put obstacles in the way with XP etc. if you ever changed major hardware. components.

I have d/l W11 onto my laptop & the first problem i`ve noticed is, my W7 games that i imported onto W10 have disappeared. I play these games ( chess titans, hearts. etc ) & i would like to get them onto W11. Anyone got a solution?
Unfortunately Smudger you needed to have backups of them to reinstall. I did the upgrade in their 'Insider' system where I invited Microsoft to change my Win10 over to Win11 so they could see how I got on with it. This method kept all my installed apps but even so I had backups and a disk image just in case.

Have a look to see if the games are in the Microsoft Store, I've downloaded free apps from there.

Microsoft said that there would not be a Windows 11 when they launched Windows 10. It does not appear, by the post of Old Mowhawk, that there is much difference. Sales Office down on their figures maybe.;)

Eric - I am staying with Windows 10 as long as I can. I suspect it will take a new laptop with Windows 11 installed before I change. As Mort says Windows 10 is supported until 2025.
Why change what works for you unless you have to?

Eric - I am staying with Windows 10 as long as I can. I suspect it will take a new laptop with Windows 11 installed before I change. As Mort says Windows 10 is supported until 2025.
Why change what works for you unless you have to?
Janice, I feel the same way. While I am intrigued by oldMahawks writings my laptop is 6 years old and still working well. What I am doing is starting to look at laptops to decide if I need to make a change, which way do I go

Microsoft will look at everyone's computer and if it meets their Secure Boot and TPM requirement will offer Windows 11 as an update which can be accepted or declined by the user. If Windows 11 is installed this way then all existing apps will remain without change. I'm running W11 in my laptop and W10 in my desktop PC and websites look the same with either system.

I'm actually posting this from an iPad running iOS15 ... :rolleyes:

Unfortunately Smudger you needed to have backups of them to reinstall. I did the upgrade in their 'Insider' system where I invited Microsoft to change my Win10 over to Win11 so they could see how I got on with it. This method kept all my installed apps but even so I had backups and a disk image just in case.

Have a look to see if the games are in the Microsoft Store, I've downloaded free apps from there.
I do have a backup of W7 games to W10. Unfortunately it`s on a full sized usb & my laptop takes the small size (usb3.1 ? ) I will figure it out eventually, love a challenge. Am i right in thinking there is a usb with full size on one end & a small size on the other end?

Microsoft will look at everyone's computer and if it meets their Secure Boot and TPM requirement will offer Windows 11 as an update which can be accepted or declined by the user. If Windows 11 is installed this way then all existing apps will remain without change. I'm running W11 in my laptop and W10 in my desktop PC and websites look the same with either system.

I'm actually posting this from an iPad running iOS15 ... :rolleyes:
oldMohawk, I updated my iPad to OS15 last week, a little strange at first but getting used to it now!

I am perfectly happy with windows 10 so is there any point in downloading windows 11 ? Not being very PC wise I don't want to create any unnecessary problems. Eric
I do have a backup of W7 games to W10. Unfortunately it`s on a full sized usb & my laptop takes the small size (usb3.1 ? ) I will figure it out eventually, love a challenge. Am i right in thinking there is a usb with full size on one end & a small size on the other end?
Yes, in a nutshell.

I am perfectly happy with windows 10 so is there any point in downloading windows 11 ? Not being very PC wise I don't want to create any unnecessary problems. Eric
If Windows 10 works for you then stay with it. Rather than thinking about the latest operating system, think about what programme your using now, and do they work OK with your current operating system. If all is ok, then stay with what you know.

You can if you wish, run the Windows 11 utility that will tell you if you can install Windows 11 safely at a later date. My computer will need the BIOS change to enable TPM, which I can do, but I am quite happy with Windows 10 for the time being.

The first thing I did with my Windows 10 machine was to install the freebie Windows 7 lookalike front end. Whether that same front end will work with Windows 11 I know not, nor do I care. I'll stick with Windows 10.

Maurice :cool:

Updated my main desktop PC to Win 11 yesterday. Took about 40 minutes and all my apps where there when retarted. Win 11 is basically Win 10 with slicker user interface. I think MS have done it to get people talking about Windows and maybe sell more computers ... ;)
Screenshot (116).jpg
Still has the taskbar like most versions and the pinned items on Start can be scrolled through

I usually go straight for it when offered an update, checked the 'will it work' test yesterday, neither my desktop or laptop both with Intel i5 processers are up to the job so it's stick with Win 10 for me.

i liked using win 3.11 work group. at least you could tinker with win.ini and sys.ini. to get it as you liked it and xtree gold to mod it a bit more on a 8088 with 640 ram. and a large 10m hard drive the size of a brick:grinning:these new ver are a bit complicated now for me.:(
iu

i liked using win 3.11 work group. at least you could tinker with win.ini and sys.ini. to get it as you liked it and xtree gold to mod it a bit more on a 8088 with 640 ram. and a large 10m hard drive the size of a brick:grinning:these new ver are a bit complicated now for me.:(
iu
Pete, I remember buying my first copy of MS office directly from Microsoft? Mid 90’s. The box arrived arrived, there must have been 35 or so of the 3 1/4 floppy’s In there, weighed a ton. I think we are better off today although I still like to have the disc in case I screw it up!

I use quite a few legacy programs too, Phil, and that's why I won't even bother taking the test!

I use quite a few legacy programs too, Phil, and that's why I won't even bother taking the test!

Maurice, I was very impressed with the 'Go Back' button everything was just as it was and in place. They apparently put a copy of 'Windows Old' on the C: drive which stays for 10 days so there is a time limit.
Phil

Maurice, I was very impressed with the 'Go Back' button everything was just as it was and in place. They apparently put a copy of 'Windows Old' on the C: drive which stays for 10 days so there is a time limit.
Phil
oldMohawk, it’s encouraging that the “go back” button works so well, usually with me its the opposite :) .

Hi Richard,
I was amazed that the Go Back button worked because if it had not I would have had to use Recovery to get Win 10 back with loss of my apps. Win 11 had removed the radio panels in my Flight Sim and airplanes can't be flown without radios. Needed some serious delving in the files to get the radios back.
Good brain exercise ... feel satisfied ... :)

Win 11 runs perfectly in my laptop but in my Desktop PC Microsoft's Flight Simulator would not even start. This was unacceptable so I clicked the 'Go Back' button in Settings and gone back to Win 10 ..... :grinning:
Gone back to Windows 11.
A security feature 'Software Restriction Policy' was blocking the flight simulator. I eventually sorted it and now I'm all Windows 11, it's running well and I like it .... :)

Just had a regular update on my Windows10 laptop and it's comeback SO different.
I have been a user of the "Start" screen since day 1 and a whole group of my logos/apps have disappeared and the appearance of what's left has altered.

If you try to open an attachment to an email(Outlook) you get 7/8ths of what you want with no facility to scroll up and down.
Will MS never learn that if it's not broke don't fix it.

Just had a regular update on my Windows10 laptop and it's comeback SO different.
I have been a user of the "Start" screen since day 1 and a whole group of my logos/apps have disappeared and the appearance of what's left has altered.

If you try to open an attachment to an email(Outlook) you get 7/8ths of what you want with no facility to scroll up and down.
Will MS never learn that if it's not broke don't fix it.
I don't think Microsoft ever got the Windows 10 Start screen right. With regard to parts of items not visible perhaps the update has changed your screen resolution/size etc.

Hi Phil, e-mail that notifies me of your reply, but the BHF image sits above email and does not have facility to scroll etc.
Until this recent update I would have opened to a full page from BHF.
Jim

Attachments

• Screenshot (415).png
    Screenshot (415).png
    171.5 KB · Views: 20
Back