• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

Windows 11 still running fine in my laptop. The 'right-click on a file context menu' now has icons. The right icon obviously Delete, the middle icon is Rename. The nice clear taskbar auto-hides when not needed.
Screenshot (662).jpg

Microsoft upgraded my Windows 11 laptop yesterday fixing 50 issues, adding new features, and blocking the 'Printnightmare' scam which could attack all versions of Windows. Their week-long 'Bug Bash' has also started but I haven't got any for them to bash at present .... :)

Its worth everyone checking windows update because of the PrintNightmare scam. Microsoft has issued an update for Windows 10 and windows 7 too.

If you have automatic updates switched off, again its worth checking for this update.

Don't know if anyone interested or maybe already have it now, but the new issue of Computer Active out this week has a comprehensive article on the new Windows 11 giving guidance on whether your computer will run it and explains the new tools. I have it delivered but maybe in the shops now

Many years ago when 'Computer Active' started I bought the first issue. Still buy it occasionally always a good read.
There is a Windows 11 forum.
I did think of joining but they are all experts on there so I didn't. Strange thing is I don't have any of the problems with W11 they seem to have ... :)

Many years ago when 'Computer Active' started I bought the first issue. Still buy it occasionally always a good read.
There is a Windows 11 forum.
I did think of joining but they are all experts on there so I didn't. Strange thing is I don't have any of the problems with W11 they seem to have ... :)
Have you considered that perhaps "they" are not as expert as they like to think they are?

Have you considered that perhaps "they" are not as expert as they like to think they are?
Reading their posts I can see that they know a lot more about computers than I do.

I got my W11 copy by joining the 'Windows Insider' program available in Settings. I only use it in my 3 year old Dell laptop and will keep W10 in my main desktop PC until Microsoft isssues W11 for general use.

All my programs/printers/scanners run ok ... the BHF looks the same. Microsoft have streamlined how folders look etc. The 'all apps' list is still there but the 'Start' is better than W10 and actually has an icon for the Control Panel.

It gives 'oldies' like me something technical to play with ... and I first played with a computer in 1979 ... :)

Reading their posts I can see that they know a lot more about computers than I do.

I got my W11 copy by joining the 'Windows Insider' program available in Settings. I only use it in my 3 year old Dell laptop and will keep W10 in my main desktop PC until Microsoft isssues W11 for general use.

All my programs/printers/scanners run ok ... the BHF looks the same. Microsoft have streamlined how folders look etc. The 'all apps' list is still there but the 'Start' is better than W10 and actually has an icon for the Control Panel.

It gives 'oldies' like me something technical to play with ... and I first played with a computer in 1979 ... :)
oldMohawk, i first played in 1979 as well but this was at work. In 1981 I bought my first IBM PC with black and white screen and 1 160 drive & still don't know much! At least compared to my Grandson.........

oldMohawk, i first played in 1979 as well but this was at work. In 1981 I bought my first IBM PC with black and white screen and 1 160 drive & still don't know much! At least compared to my Grandson.........
Richard ..
The rest of my family are Apple devotees and look down on Windows so I can't tell them anything about Macs and they can't tell me anything useful about Windows. I do use an Apple iPad and iPhone everyday.

Richard ..
The rest of my family are Apple devotees and look down on Windows so I can't tell them anything about Macs and they can't tell me anything useful about Windows. I do use an Apple iPad and iPhone everyday.
oldMohawk, I can appreciate that! My family is the same way but I do use my iPad, phone and iPod every day. They think I’m crazy using the iPod, works for me :)

The latest W10 update seems to have decided to delete things it does not like from the desktop. Had a program (Photozoom) which enlarges a photo by increasing nom of pixels, though it does not increase detail, but useful if you want to examine a small area , This disappeared from my desktop after the update. Still on computer, but cannot find way to put on desktop, so put on taskbar, though dont often use it.

cannot find way to put on desktop
From the start menu right click on the program and select 'more > open file location'.
The program should then be highlighted - right click and select 'create shortcut'.
It should then ask if you want the shortcut placed on the desktop.

When I right click on it in the start menu all I get is
By clicking on the middle option I can then access program, but no "more". Its probably because I got it as a free extra when i puchased my photo program . But prviously it did go on desktop

ScreenHunter 2991.jpg
By clicking on the middle option I can then access program, and it works, but no "more". Its probably because I got it as a free extra when I purchased my photo program . But previously it did go on desktop, its only recently disappeared from the desktop.

When I right click on it in the start menu all I get is
By clicking on the middle option I can then access program, but no "more". Its probably because I got it as a free extra when i puchased my photo program . But prviously it did go on desktop

View attachment 159126
By clicking on the middle option I can then access program, and it works, but no "more". Its probably because I got it as a free extra when I purchased my photo program . But previously it did go on desktop, its only recently disappeared from the desktop.
I have photozoom 5 on disc which I no longer use if you would like to have it, John.

Back