• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

My old iPad will not update above iOS9 and runs so slow it is like watching paint dry. It is almost as if the updates have slowed it down. You could try installing the Chrome browser app and see if searches are better when using it. My present iPad has iOS14 and I still find Safari not very good for some things so have the Chrome and Edge browsers installed. It might be worth acquiring an old Windows 10 laptop for searches ... it will always run faster than Safari ... ;)
Thanks for the advice, could not install Chrome, as the Google thing is still prominent when you switch on. The irony is my son is an Apple Executive on their banking side, so his response was to suggest a new ipad, I replaced it three years ago with a Samsung Galaxy tablet, which is fine but the battery, nowadays, does not last long after being charged. Looks like I need to consider all options and perhaps invest in something new. I have an HP Pavilion laptop which I only use for scanning postcards and family tree records, but have got lazy and found tablets much easier to use. I also have an Hudl which is very rarely used, bought for my wife who wants nothing to do with all these modern technologies (unless it is a sewing machine)

Bob

On my third iPad which runs the latest operating system. One reason the older iPads are slower is they use the old 32 bit system processor which wont upgrade past ios 10, later ipads use the 64 bit system processor and are considerably faster.

Thanks for the advice, could not install Chrome, as the Google thing is still prominent when you switch on. The irony is my son is an Apple Executive on their banking side, so his response was to suggest a new ipad, I replaced it three years ago with a Samsung Galaxy tablet, which is fine but the battery, nowadays, does not last long after being charged. Looks like I need to consider all options and perhaps invest in something new. I have an HP Pavilion laptop which I only use for scanning postcards and family tree records, but have got lazy and found tablets much easier to use. I also have an Hudl which is very rarely used, bought for my wife who wants nothing to do with all these modern technologies (unless it is a sewing machine)

Bob
I wouldn't be without a tablet they have many advantages. I have an iPhone but find it too small for serious online work. My family are completely Apple based so that is why I had an iPad.

I Zoom and Skype them from my W10 computer and when I screen share they have been surprised at how good W10 is. If my present iPad became unusable I would buy another. As previously mentioned someone I know bought a new iPad on Sunday and to transfer all their apps, data and photos, they simply put the new iPad on top of the old one and the data etc transferred ... :cool:

I wouldn't be without a tablet they have many advantages. I have an iPhone but find it too small for serious online work. My family are completely Apple based so that is why I had an iPad.

I Zoom and Skype them from my W10 computer and when I screen share they have been surprised at how good W10 is. If my present iPad became unusable I would buy another. As previously mentioned someone I know bought a new iPad on Sunday and to transfer all their apps, data and photos, they simply put the new iPad on top of the old one and the data etc transferred ... :cool:
The transfer only works with the iPhone 6s upwards with the 64 bit operating system.

Here are mine an iPad (some call them tablets) I don't. My iPhone on the left . They are very expensive.
My iPhone counts the number of steps I do in a day and how many flights of stairs and lets me know if I'm not exercising as much as I was the previous week. I can look at my cctv pics on it at any time. It is known as a smart phone.
They both interface with Windows 10 ....;)
SAM_1545 (Medium).JPG

I have a daughter and Son in law and a sister and Brother in law neither have a Computer so you can live without them. I did not have one when my Wife was alive 22 years ago, purchased my first one about 18 years ago and would not be without it now but I think you have to be careful you do not get addicted, especially when you live by yourself like me. Eric

Looking back through this thread to when Terry started it in 2015 is like reading the history of Windows 10.

Many of us upgraded to it and had a rocky ride for the first two to three years with blue screen crashes, problem updates, and the first Edge browser was a disaster. Some thought about reverting back to Win7 or Win8.

But now with the latest October update all is calm - the Edge browser compares well against Chrome - Win 10 now works with no fuss ...:)

The "left-click" button on my laptop has gone kaput. I have rummaged around and found an old plug in mouse and so back in business. So glad I never throw things away. Can anyone please advise if this is an easy repair or maybe there is a key combination that I could be using in lieu of the left-click. Thanks in anticipation.

Did it happen suddenly or was it showing signs of failure over time ? If suddenly you could try uninstalling it and then re-installing the drivers.

Regarding touchpads - I never use them. I always use a wireless mouse (Logitech) and disable the touchpad so it does not inadvertently add characters if my wrists touch it when typing. The small receiver for my wireless mouse is permanently plugged into a usb port. The mouse battery lasts about 6 months.

Did it happen suddenly or was it showing signs of failure over time ? If suddenly you could try uninstalling it and then re-installing the drivers.

Regarding touchpads - I never use them. I always use a wireless mouse (Logitech) and disable the touchpad so it does not inadvertently add characters if my wrists touch it when typing. The small receiver for my wireless mouse is permanently plugged into a usb port. The mouse battery lasts about 6 months.
I guess with hindsight it has been showing signs of a gradual failure.

I had a Logitech wireless mouse for about 5 years then all of a sudden was going through a lot of batteries (primarily because I forgot to turn it off) but also the buttons became erratic whenever they worked. I purchased a new mouse from Amazon $10 US overnight with Prime that shuts down automatically if you don’t move the mouse for 2 mins. Was skeptical at first but two years in and am very pleased!

The "left-click" button on my laptop has gone kaput. I have rummaged around and found an old plug in mouse and so back in business. So glad I never throw things away. Can anyone please advise if this is an easy repair or maybe there is a key combination that I could be using in lieu of the left-click. Thanks in anticipation.

The problem could either be the switch (usually a very small button on the motherboard) or debris which is preventing the left click lever from going down far enough (e.g. dust, biscuit crumbs, red wine residue - in a past life maintaining staff laptops at a school I've seen them all!!). Sometimes it's fairly easy to take the front cover off the laptop to investigate, sometimes not! You should be able to find instructions on Google if you need to. If the switch itself is the problem a drop of switch cleaner might help. There are a few articles on using the keyboard for a left click if you Google the problem but on a quick check on my laptop none of them seemed to work!

Unusual use of a Windows 10 computer in lockdown conditions ... :rolleyes:

After the first lockdown started in March my hair round the back was approaching collar-length in June so I had a go with my late wife's hair clippers which have number settings - what could go wrong!

Looking in mirrors my hands moved in opposite directions to what I could see and I found it very difficult. Afterwards my hair was shorter but did not look at all good. Lockdown then lifted and a visit to the barbers in July gave me a decent haircut.

Another lockdown is now in force with visits to barbers not allowed and my hair was again approaching collar-length so something new was needed.

I have a detachable webcam on my Win 10 desktop computer and set it up on a stand so that when I looked at my 24" screen I had a perfect view of the back of my head. I set the numbers on the clippers and had a go. It was easy, my hands moved in the right directions and with careful moves gave myself a very presentable trim round the back.

I then repositioned the stand and webcam to side views and carefully trimmed as required. The webcam took a video of the entire process.

I was well pleased with the results ...:grinning:

Unusual use of a Windows 10 computer in lockdown conditions ... :rolleyes:

After the first lockdown started in March my hair round the back was approaching collar-length in June so I had a go with my late wife's hair clippers which have number settings - what could go wrong!

Looking in mirrors my hands moved in opposite directions to what I could see and I found it very difficult. Afterwards my hair was shorter but did not look at all good. Lockdown then lifted and a visit to the barbers in July gave me a decent haircut.

Another lockdown is now in force with visits to barbers not allowed and my hair was again approaching collar-length so something new was needed.

I have a detachable webcam on my Win 10 desktop computer and set it up on a stand so that when I looked at my 24" screen I had a perfect view of the back of my head. I set the numbers on the clippers and had a go. It was easy, my hands moved in the right directions and with careful moves gave myself a very presentable trim round the back.

I then repositioned the stand and webcam to side views and carefully trimmed as required. The webcam took a video of the entire process.

I was well pleased with the results ...:grinning:
Necessity is the spirit of invention! Well done!!!

You're a braver man than I am, Phil! :)

Maurice :)
Hi Maurice,

I tried out a better stand for my detatchable webcam this morning and could see a few bits I had missed so carried out a minor hair-trim update.

It won't put barbers and hairdressers out of business but it is much better than using mirrors.

Phil ... ;)

Back