• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

I have a 64gb usb stick which was only sowing as 32gb. I followed some advice from google to fix this problem & now the usb drive (f) is showing as "the directory name is invalid" I`ve tried changing the directory name but nothing happened. Have i killed this usb?
You could try this ...
Plug in the usb
Open 'This PC' to see all your drives
Make the 'This PC' window smaller on your desktop screen so you can see other files
Then drag a photo or some small file across to the usb drive
This should copy the file to the usb so then have a look and see if it is there.
If it is you could then try a 'format' on the usb drive and probably have the option to rename the drive.

You could try this ...
Plug in the usb
Open 'This PC' to see all your drives
Make the 'This PC' window smaller on your desktop screen so you can see other files
Then drag a photo or some small file across to the usb drive
This should copy the file to the usb so then have a look and see if it is there.
If it is you could then try a 'format' on the usb drive and probably have the option to rename the drive.
I`ve tried that. It simply says the directory name is invalid.

Can you right click on the usb and format it where you have the option to enter a new volume label ?
No, Windows is unable to format drive. I think i`ve exhausted all the fixes courtesy of Google & i`ve probably killed the damn thing. Message to self, don`t mess with things you don`t understand!!

I don't think the drive is wrecked it is probably some sort of partition error. What do you see when you look at it with the Disk Management tool. Does it show 'healthy' drives. Post a screen shot of it.

Try doing it from Disk Manager - right click 'start' and select Disk Management. Scroll down to your USB stick, right click on the box with the USB details on it and select Delete Volume (although this may show 'not supported!). Then select Format.

Try doing it from Disk Manager - right click 'start' and select Disk Management. Scroll down to your USB stick, right click on the box with the USB details on it and select Delete Volume (although this may show 'not supported!). Then select Format.
Thanks jukebox but right click only shows change drive letter or paths, which doesn`t work.

Smudger,

What is happening is that the software on the stick, which allows a chunk of memory to act like a disk drive and be recognised as such, is corrupted. Has the drive got a manufacturer's name? If so, contact them. If not, I suspect that it is now a dud.

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
Do you have Ccleaner?

If not download the free version, open it and go to 'tools' on the left menu, there you will find 'Disc analyser' give that a try.

Thanks jukebox but right click only shows change drive letter or paths, which doesn`t work.
The Disk Management tool is accessed by a right click on the Start icon bottom left then Disk Management.
Here is mine and I have a 15 year old usb plugged in F:
DM.jpg

The space on your usb must be allocated otherwise it will not work. I think I have posted about this before regarding how to allocate the space. I have had this on a drive which Linux had messed up and had to allocate space but can’t remember how I did it. I’m on an iphone at the moment but will come into the Windows world later on. Perhaps someone else can advise ... there is a remedy ... :)

Tried easeus free, & everything i tried they would open a new window & suggest buying. It would be cheaper buying a new usb.
I`ve enjoyed the challenge even though i lost!
Looking back I used a built-in utility called 'diskpart' which has to be run admin in a command or PowerShell window. I used PowerShell, see it working in my Dell laptop below. It is very potent so you need to read up as much as you can about 'diskpart' if you try it. Perhaps as a first test just take it as far as the 'list disk' command and then close it'

It will rescue your usb. The usb disk must be selected which was Disk 2 in my example. After 'clean' the usb has to be formatted and partitioned before it is useable.
Image2.jpg

I am surprised about Easeus ... I have often used the free version.

Last edited:
Back