• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

Windows updated mine as well and I could not see what was different, at the moment I have the networked works computer (Windows 7 Professional) piggybacked on my laptop and the line keeps going down and I also keep hitting the wrong keys so working is a game of hope the action I have just carried out is not affected buy a cut out etc. I use the works computer as my daytime BHF connection, but note that on the laptop where I had my family tree, although the programme still shows, all my family tree entries have disappeared, that occurred just after the big update.

BOB

Hi Bob,
Hopefully you had your important data files backed up to a separate drive before updating. W10 upgrade/update offers the choice of retaining all data or putting in a clean installation. Your set-up appears complicated.

You could check whether your Family Tree app is compatible with the latest W10 version. Most apps have not been affected as far as I know. I have an old app from 15 years ago in my laptop and it runs ok.

Everyone has 10 days to roll back to the previous Windows version using Recovery but first check that you definitely have Version 2004. Microsoft are not presently issuing 2004, you have to load the Upgrade Assistant and ask for it. This is what I did.

:)

Last edited:
Hi Bob,
Hopefully you had your important data files backed up to a separate drive before updating. W10 upgrade/update offers the choice of retaining all data or putting in a clean installation. Your set-up appears complicated.

You could check whether your Family Tree app is compatible with the latest W10 version. Most apps have not been affected as far as I know. I have an old app from 15 years ago in my laptop and it runs ok.

Everyone has 10 days to roll back to the previous Windows version using Recovery but first check that you definitely have Version 2004. Microsoft are not presently issuing 2004, you have to load the Upgrade Assistant and ask for it. This is what I did.

Thank You OM, we'll give it a try.

Bob

W10 upgrade/update offers the choice of retaining all data or putting in a clean installation.

I updated one of my PCs to Windows 10 build 2004 (from build 1909) a couple of days ago but was not asked about retaining all data or clean installation. I never am during a major Windows update.

It did the update but it kept all my apps and data and basically put the machine back as it was before the update.

I agree though that everyone should do a backup of ALL their personal files as a machine can easily crash during a Windows 10 update and you could lose ALL your personal files (unlikely but it could happen).

One useful new feature is that you can now re-install Windows 10 from the "cloud". See article here (though screen shots are not in English)

Last edited:
Can someone please advise me as to how to post a short video from my camera to the forum. When posting photographs I open them in Paint and reduce the size. However I don't seem to have the option with a video can someone advise?

As far as I know the forum software won't accept video files. You need to upload it to Youtube and then post a link to it. Some years ago I did it by placing the video file on my Google drive and linking to it there but special commands were needed. I also used that method to upload a music mp3 file.

As far as I know the forum software won't accept video files. You need to upload it to Youtube and then post a link to it. Some years ago I did it by placing the video file on my Google drive and linking to it there but special commands were needed. I also used that method to upload a music mp3 file.
Yes agree with oldMohawk, upload to Youtube, and post the link to it here.

Anyone else noticed that the facility to save any web site for retrieval to the "Start Screen" seems to have disappeared, now offering to pin to "Task Bar"

Anyone else noticed that the facility to save any web site for retrieval to the "Start Screen" seems to have disappeared, now offering to pin to "Task Bar"
I presume you are referring to the Edge browser. If so the way to do it now is ...
Settings
Apps
Install site as an app
Manage apps
Select 'Pin to ...'
Choose 'Pin to Start'

The method is different for Chrome but can be done ...
My current start below with the BHF just added as a test ....
Image1.jpg

Last edited:
I presume you are referring to the Edge browser. If so the way to do it now is ...
Settings
Apps
Install site as an app
Manage apps
Select 'Pin to ...'
Choose 'Pin to Start'

The method is different for Chrome but can be done ...
My current start below with the BHF just added as a test ....
View attachment 145885
Thanks Phil, yes I was referring to the Edge browser. Why would MS mess with a useful tool? I've tried your suggestion but I'm afraid I can't find the "install site as an app" step.
Screenshot (311).png
Jim.

Thanks Phil, yes I was referring to the Edge browser. Why would MS mess with a useful tool? I've tried your suggestion but I'm afraid I can't find the "install site as an app" step.
View attachment 145887
Jim.
Hi Jim,
It does seem strange that Microsoft removed the feature.
I suppose we all use our computers differently but on mine

I click the dots top right and follow sequence.
Screenshot (209).jpg

This appears after clicking 'install this site as an app'
Screenshot (210).jpg

Then in the 'All Apps List' right click the app and then 'Pin to Start'
Screenshot (211).jpg

I actually use bookmarks (favourites) in cascading folders to whizz around the BHF ... :cool:
Screenshot (212).png

Old Mohawk thank you for your informative replies Re: Windows 10

When I am about to close my computer down late at night, I often see update messages
Update and close down, update & restart - so really I have to follow one of these options
Can you please tell me how to set it so I can update it when I am ready for it?
As sometimes it is better to see if updates have problems sorted first.
I mainly use Chrome but have just looked at Edge because of your recent postings.
Regards RobT

I just click on the update and close down, never gives me a problem, at the next start up it configures the new updates and away you go.

When I am about to close my computer down late at night, I often see update messages
Update and close down, update & restart - so really I have to follow one of these options
Can you please tell me how to set it so I can update it when I am ready for it?
Regards RobT
Hi Rob,
The problem with Windows we can all run things slightly differently so what works for one does not work the same for someone else.

My number 1 browser is Chrome but now Edge has changed to the same Chromium system it is so like Chrome I run it in dark mode to remind me which browser I'm using. It easily imports bookmarks from Chrome and actually uses Google Chrome extensions.

I generally use the 'Hibernation' close down on my computers. On my Dell laptop I simply close the lid and on my Acer desktop I click 'Start' - 'Power' - 'Hibernation'. This method saves everything I am doing, keeps Apps loaded, and then switches off the computer. Start-up from 'hibernation' is quick and everything I was doing is there just as it was when the computers hibernated.

Windows updates can download but generally can't install with hibernation and need a restart or proper shutdown. In Settings - Update & Security- Avanced options, I set it to put a notification icon bottom right which when clicked offers the update and if don't want it I can delay it for 7 days on a rolling basis for up to 35 days.

Win 10 now offers the option to uninstall the updates and I once did this because an update in Sept 2019 (post#1042) started to seriously overheat my laptop !

oldmohawk

Note the option to delay updates varies between different versions of Windows 10.

Windows 10 Home (which I guess most of us run) has limited ability to stop or delay updates.

Windows 10 Pro (for "Professionals") has more ability to stop or delay updates

Windows 10 Enterprise (for large companies) has a lot of capability to stop updates. Large companies want to control updates until they have done testing to make sure all their applications and programs work.

Generally Microsoft roll out updates on a gradual basis, they don't offer them to everyone in one go.

They first offer them to "testers" and "early adopters".

They then offer them to PCs they are pretty sure will have no problems, then gradually to everyone, but this may be over many weeks or even months.

I know there have been problems in the past but by the time Microsoft offer it to you you can hope that most problems have been fixed.

Also note that often after a "large" update (such as we are having now to Windows 10 level 2004) there will be a small update that will fix some of the known problems (this takes you to level 2004 19041.329)

Anyone can check which Windows 10 level they are on by going to Settings (right click on the Windows icon in bottom left), then choose "System", then choose the About option. At the bottom of the window, in the "Windows specifications" area it shows your OS version and build.

This web site below is a useful one to see what the latest "pubilic" build for Windows 10 is:

Anyone can check which Windows 10 level they are on by going to Settings (right click on the Windows icon in bottom left), then choose "System", then choose the About option. At the bottom of the window, in the "Windows specifications" area it shows your OS version and build.

Or press Windows Key + R and type winver

Hi Rob,
The problem with Windows we can all run things slightly differently so what works for one does not work the same for someone else.

My number 1 browser is Chrome but now Edge has changed to the same Chromium system it is so like Chrome I run it in dark mode to remind me which browser I'm using. It easily imports bookmarks from Chrome and actually uses Google Chrome extensions.

I generally use the 'Hibernation' close down on my computers. On my Dell laptop I simply close the lid and on my Acer desktop I click 'Start' - 'Power' - 'Hibernation'. This method saves everything I am doing, keeps Apps loaded, and then switches off the computer. Start-up from 'hibernation' is quick and everything I was doing is there just as it was when the computers hibernated.

Windows updates can download but generally can't install with hibernation and need a restart or proper shutdown. In Settings - Update & Security- Avanced options, I set it to put a notification icon bottom right which when clicked offers the update and if don't want it I can delay it for 7 days on a rolling basis for up to 35 days.

Win 10 now offers the option to uninstall the updates and I once did this because an update in Sept 2019 (post#1042) started to seriously overheat my laptop !

oldmohawk
oldmohawk, I changed over to Edge about a month and a half ago.....Held my breath a bit because I an not patient with this stuff. So far I am very pleased and the more I use it the more I like it!

oldmohawk, I changed over to Edge about a month and a half ago.....Held my breath a bit because I an not patient with this stuff. So far I am very pleased and the more I use it the more I like it!
Hi Richard, yes it seems Edge is now a very usable browser and it's Settings page is very well laid out and easy to use but I suppose most of us simply use the browser which works for them.

One Windows 10 feature I do use in Settings - Display - Scale and Layout is having system text set to 150% to make it more readable on my 1920 x 1080 screen resolution. I generally run Edge/Chrome browser zoom at 125% when looking at the BHF.

I have a 64gb usb stick which was only sowing as 32gb. I followed some advice from google to fix this problem & now the usb drive (f) is showing as "the directory name is invalid" I`ve tried changing the directory name but nothing happened. Have i killed this usb?

Back