• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windows 10

window 10 disk cleaner is ok i use it. i try`d cleaner and lost a lot of files,through it. also i use cookie auto del.its very good too.

Last edited:
I am far from PC wise but have always used Disc Clean-Up for removing unwanted files. Not being PC wise, would be wary of downloading things like CCleaner and prefer to use Windows own built in assists. Eric

Since update earlier this week when I first open up my laptop the photo that was originally there is now just a blur how do I change it please?

The KB4512941 update got in my desktop computer today and completely stopped the Windows Search appearing and also stopped my Start Screen with a critical error. I've managed to uninstall the update and can block it for 5 weeks. Microsoft have now noticed that there is a problem and tweeted as below.
mstweet.jpg

The KB4512941 update got in my desktop computer today and completely stopped the Windows Search appearing and also stopped my Start Screen with a critical error. I've managed to uninstall the update and can block it for 5 weeks. Microsoft have now noticed that there is a problem and tweeted as below.
View attachment 137121
Just checked on my Windows updates and found that KB4512941 is optional, so it has not installed on my machine. I think I will wait until it is sorted.

Microsoft have been nagging me lately to prove who I am. I was ignoring them but this morning they were really nagging so I responded and this appeared on my screen. Glad to say I passed ok ... :cool:
Screenshot (414).jpg

Well, if that is Microsoft's latest form of intrusion into peoples lives then I am glad I ditched them a couple of years ago and use Linux Mint.

I didn't regard it as an intrusion. I use a Microsoft account so I can use their free 5Gb cloud and a basic Outlook email comes with it.

Windows 10 is just making sure that it is me using this laptop. I now vaguely remember that last week I slid my finger across the reader instead of placing it on and the laptop had a think before it let me in. Looking back their notifications may have started from then ... :)

Microsoft have been nagging me lately to prove who I am. I was ignoring them but this morning they were really nagging so I responded and this appeared on my screen. Glad to say I passed ok ... :cool:
View attachment 137701
How do you get a fingerprint reader? Seems like it`s a good piece of security. I use a master password at the moment.

Did you know, you can fit the entire population of the world into our tiny little island. I just hope they all don`t have cars!!

When I bought the laptop (Dell 5770) I didn't know it had a fingerprint reader which is just the metal start button.
I did wonder what would happen if my finger was not available so tried logging on with my thumb!
It then just asked for my Microsoft password.

Fingerprinting is not foolproof apparently. Whilst having a respite from the sunshine yesterday afternoon we watched an old black and white programme on tv. It was about a robbery and murder, which was identified as someone recently out of jail. The police did a thorough search but eventually his body was found, decapitated and minus one hand. It was realized that he had been deal before the robbery. It transpired that his wife and others has managed to use the hand, together with a surgical glove (or similar) which placed the dead mans fingerprints at the scene of crime. ;)

How do you get a fingerprint reader? Seems like it`s a good piece of security. I use a master password at the moment.

Did you know, you can fit the entire population of the world into our tiny little island. I just hope they all don`t have cars!!
Hi Smudger,
I think you can buy USB plug-in fingerprint readers. On my Dell I can register more than one finger. I also use a fingerprint log-in on my iPad and iPhone .... it is convenient.
The fingerprints are local to the Windows 10 in your computer. Microsoft don't have copies of it.

Here is the fingerprint reader on my laptop. The interesting thing is that it is apparently not a camera. It just looks like a metal start button.
IMG_0355.jpg

Regarding the update mentioned in #1042 which caused cpu over temperature in my laptop, Microsoft offered KB4517211 update today which has updated W10 to version 18362.387. My system and security is now fully updated.
Just the Windows search on the taskbar not working but I can use 'Search this PC' to find items in my laptop.

Hi Maurice,

I had used the Win 10 feedback hub to report to Microsoft when I had the problems ref post#1042 and apparently there were others reporting. I've just installed Kb4515384 in my Acer desktop and when I clicked on the start icon there was a critical error message saying 'sign out' so I did. Then Kb4517211 appeared asking to be installed so I let it in and after that the computer is working perfectly apart from Windows Search which I can do without.

I think Windows is now such a big operating system to suit so many different computers there is a 'butterfly' effect' .... change one little thing and half a dozen other unknown things change.

Phil ... :)

Did you know that if the UK was laid out as a soccer pitch the entire built on, 'concreted over' as the environmentalists call it area, would fit into a single corner flag area.

Phil,

I think it was very poorly designed in the first place, and that is why there are so many persistent security flaws. While Linux, and even more so Unix, does require the user to be a little bit computer literate, Windows has endeavoured to take the learning curve away so that the user has to input very little and Windows tries to fill in those gaps automatically. This has made the user interface very large and left the operating system (and ultimately the user!) more vulnerable to attacks. As you say, fixes much more difficult and many more users than any other operating system, and a prime target for criminals.

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
Since the latest W10 updates, Windows Search stopped working for me. I didn't think it was much good since Microsoft put their Bing web search into it so I am now cautiously trying a free third-party searcher named 'Everything'.

Example ... typed in the word 'Albert' and it found pics with a little preview thumbnail. Even pics in a back-up of a Toshiba computer I now don't have.
everythingsearch.jpg

Phil,

That sounds as if something, maybe a crawler bot, has made an illicit copy of your old machine contents. I'm still using Firefox and it doesn't give me any problems. I don't like Bing or Safari, and prefer Firefox to Opera or Chrome. Windows 10 did some small updates this morning that necessitated a reboot, but everything still seems to be working OK :)

Maurice :cool:

Maurice

Hi Maurice,
Yes some updates came in for me and now I'm on 18362.388.

I now realised that when I gave my Toshiba laptop to my granddaughter I had copied all the data files on to the D: drive in this Dell laptop. The C: drive is a 128Gb SSD which means all the usual default folders have to go on the 1Tb hard drive. The SSD is very fast but MS have reserved 7Gb for major W10 upgrades and with the usual app and drivers on it I only have 32Gb spare.

The 'Everything' search seem ok but basic interface.

Phil :)

Back