• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

I right clicked the tram icon I had created and clicked 'Pin to Start' and a tile with a tram pic appeared on my Start screen as shown below. I was somewhat surprised that a pic showed on the tile but it would be nice if it filled the tile.
Start2.jpg

I just tried this ....
1) Chose the photo I wanted to use ... I chose a tram pic.
2) Loaded it into a photo editor such as Paint etc.
3) Reduced it size to 100 x 100 ... this step might not be necessary but I did it.
4) Saved it as a bmp file.
5) Renamed it by changing the extension to a ico file.
6) Created a 'shortcut' on my desktop pointing to a folder etc.
7) Selected properties for the shortcut.
8) Changed icon by selecting the ico file I created in 5) above.
9) Applied it.
I now have an shortcut icon on my desktop which is a tram pic ...see below
View attachment 136535
Ideally the ico file should go in the system directory where Win 10 stores the system ico files but I usually avoid putting files in system directories. If you move or delete the created ico file from where the shortcut is pointing to, the desktop shortcut will go blank.

I generally don't use pics on shortcuts I create, I just rename them with capital letters. I generally do the same with extra Start tiles I create.

There are 'online' websites which do all this but I personally don't trust them ...
Thanks for that. I’ll have a go.

Probably best to make a folder named Icon Files in 'Pictures' and put the Photos renamed as ico files there. I had put my test ico file on the Desktop and as soon as I moved it the pic disappeared off the shortcut.
I've since sorted it and my 'Tram' icon points to a folder where all the tram pics are on my network drive.
I can't increase the pic size on the Windows tile they appear to be system fixed.

Probably best to make a folder named Icon Files in 'Pictures' and put the Photos renamed as ico files there. I had put my test ico file on the Desktop and as soon as I moved it the pic disappeared off the shortcut.
I've since sorted it and my 'Tram' icon points to a folder where all the tram pics are on my network drive.
I can't increase the pic size on the Windows tile they appear to be system fixed.
Thanks again for that. I thought at first that I had gone wrong, so I re read your instructions. Then I looked at my desktop and there was my music folder with new icon. Cheers.

My "Start" screen has gone blank. I shall switch off and on again to see what that achieves but would be glad to receive more "scientific" advice.
View attachment 136520
Most of my Start Tile icons vanished this morning so I tried something from Microsoft's website and they all came back, even ones I had created. It clears the Start Tile Cache.
edited because the batch file I posted was interacting with forum software.

Last edited:
Microsoft dropped update KB4512941 into my laptop yesterday 1st Sept and later in the day I noticed the fan was continually running. I checked the CPU temperature and was alarmed to see it cooking at over 75/80 degrees instead of the normal 35/40 degrees. Checks showed Cortana (which I don't use) continually using 80% of the CPU and Windows search had disappeared. On the tech forums the experts were discussing it and I eventually decided to uninstall the update (first time I have done that) and my laptop is now running cool and Windows search is back.

Problem with an update. OXC1900209.Windows10 1903(12). Seems it's an old unused version of Avast Antivirus that's causing the problem. It doesn't appear in my list of Apps and features in Settings, from where I would expect to delete it, but it does appear in the list of "all apps" from the "start" screen. Any ideas please.

Regarding KB4512941, Msoft had received feedback from Insiders that there were problems but did not act on it. I received the update early because Msoft know me as a 'Seeker' having used the 'Edge Dev Channel' since April. Updates usually appear on the second Tuesday in the month and maybe they will correct it by then. I only use Win 10 'home edition' and was surprised that I could uninstall updates.

Regarding security I don't use 'paid-for' anti virus, I use Windows Defender and a weekly free Malwarebytes scan plus my natural 'old-fogey-suspicious' attitude. I think the biggest dangers are rouge links in emails, phishing, etc.

I wonder how many members start their laptops without using a password or PIN number ... basic security because if the laptop was unattended casual users could start it and alter things ... :cool:

Avast has an uninstall utility https://www.avast.com/en-gb/uninstall-utility which should get rid of the remains of Avast. Or maybe Cleaner.

Do you mean CCleaner as opposed to Cleaner?

CCleaner is a product (used to be called Crap Cleaner) that clears out unwanted files on your computer.

You can download CCleaner here:

Windows also has clean up utilities. One called "Disk Clean-Up" in Windows 7 and Windows 10

window 10 disk cleaner is ok i use it. i try`d cleaner and lost a lot of files,through it. also i use cookie auto del.its very good too.

Last edited:
I am far from PC wise but have always used Disc Clean-Up for removing unwanted files. Not being PC wise, would be wary of downloading things like CCleaner and prefer to use Windows own built in assists. Eric

Since update earlier this week when I first open up my laptop the photo that was originally there is now just a blur how do I change it please?

The KB4512941 update got in my desktop computer today and completely stopped the Windows Search appearing and also stopped my Start Screen with a critical error. I've managed to uninstall the update and can block it for 5 weeks. Microsoft have now noticed that there is a problem and tweeted as below.
mstweet.jpg

The KB4512941 update got in my desktop computer today and completely stopped the Windows Search appearing and also stopped my Start Screen with a critical error. I've managed to uninstall the update and can block it for 5 weeks. Microsoft have now noticed that there is a problem and tweeted as below.
View attachment 137121
Just checked on my Windows updates and found that KB4512941 is optional, so it has not installed on my machine. I think I will wait until it is sorted.

Microsoft have been nagging me lately to prove who I am. I was ignoring them but this morning they were really nagging so I responded and this appeared on my screen. Glad to say I passed ok ... :cool:
Screenshot (414).jpg

Back