• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

Microsoft are rebuilding their Edge browser to run on Chromium, the same open-source web rendering engine that powers Google’s Chrome browser. I'm trying it and it copied all my Chrome settings and bookmarks and looks just like Chrome. OK so far and it is very fast and can use Chrome extensions.
EdgeDev.jpg

I've been running a development version of Microsoft's chromium plated Edge since Monday and gave them some feedback with a screenshot yesterday. Today I received the Microsoft email shown below.
EdgeFix.jpg

it seems o.k Mohawk the only thing that I can see that needs tweeking is that you cannot get a new tab to open with the page that you want at the moment

it seems o.k Mohawk the only thing that I can see that needs tweeking is that you cannot get a new tab to open with the page that you want at the moment
I usually click with the mouse wheel/button to put up a new tab and then click the tab. If it wasn't for the 3 dots (Settings) top right being horizontal instead of vertical as in Chrome I can hardly tell which browser I'm running. I still have Old Edge on the taskbar. There is an ABP (beta) extension for Edge Dev in the Microsoft Store and I have that as can be seen below.
Screenshot (466).jpg

I've been using Edge Dev for a week now without any problems and Microsoft have just popped the weekly update into my laptop.
Update.jpg

Just updated to Version 1903 OS build 18362.116. It has some visible changes but most are system changes for improved performance and security. Automatic troubleshooting now available. All apps running perfectly.
Edge Dev still running with no problems and it is updated weekly.

Available updates for Win 10 (1903) are now signaled with an icon showing on the taskbar. They can also now be paused for 7 days on a rolling weekly basis for up to 35 days.
Updates.jpg

I had a problem yesterday with my office programme 'Ability v8.03' it wouldn't open, spreadsheets wouldn't open and sometimes just partly opened in one corner of the screen.
Went into control panel-programs, highlighted Ability, chose 'repair' , Windows ran the install and all's back to normal, nothing lost.

Still trying to sort out why I can't get Defender to turn on. Don't have any other anti virus software which would prevent it from turning on just states that virus and threat protection managed by your organisation. I've gone in as administrator and tried to turn it on by following microft instructions but still no joy. This is with W10 pro incidentally which was an on line upgrade from W8.

I haven't had Windows now for over two years - except those I look out of :laughing: - but from memory I thought Defender was turned on by default, hence the message 'managed by your organisation'?

In another thread below I posted about my 20 year old Casio digital camera in another post here
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/film-cameras.50126/post-647879

I mentioned that I could not format the old style compact memory card. Today I borrowed a multi card reader but needed a new driver. Google search only found one of those websites which offer 'Driver Doctors' etc. I only looked at the website but decided not to proceed and certainly not download anything.

Later today I happened to look at the Win 10 Reliability Monitor and noticed a critical failure even though laptop was running perfectly. Decided to do a scan with Malwarebytes and it found and quarantined two PUPs.

Since done a CCleaner scan in registry etc and items deleted.

The old quick and easy Windows Photo Viewer was ideal for quickly browsing through a folder full of photos and it still works and can be made the default viewer even with the latest Windows 10 version 1903.
A view of it and showing behind is the folder it is browsing.
Image1.jpg

Last edited:
I was going to put some bedding plants in today but heavy rain so playing with my laptop and Windows 10 predictive text has learnt my forum user name. I typed ol and it offered 3 choices.
I also changed the pointer colour to purple ... still thinking about that !
edit ps it only works with Microsoft browsers Edge and Internet Explorer
predict.jpg

Last edited:
Still raining so still playing with my laptop ... trying the Win 10 translator ... English to German ... looks quite accurate unless someone knows better ... :)
englishgerman.jpg

Last edited:
On this chilly rainy June morning I was typing a comment in the Old Street pics thread and screen suddenly went blue and laptop shut down. Restarted and the Old Street pics thread was still on with the half typed word when it shut down.
Finished the comment and then ran good old sfc /scannow and corrupt Windows files were repaired.
Screenshot (106).jpg
Going to run DISM later and investigate.
edit comment... I use a wireless mouse with my laptop and normally have the touchpad disabled. Somehow it became enabled and the above problem occurs if my wrist touches the laptop when typing.

Last edited:
Screenshot (275).png
This has just popped up, for real or a scam? For better or for worse I went for the close down option. Was this wise?

The line in the address bar suggests it is a scam do not click that ok button. I would first run a scan using Windows Defender and if you have Malwarebytes free I would run a scan with that. If you have not got Malwarebytes I would download and install it. It usually downloads a 15 day trial which runs the full version but if you don't take up the offer the free version works just as well except you have to manually scan about once a week.

Back