• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

I also think Windows Defender looks adequate for general computing and in the Anniversary Update Windows Defender has something new namely a “Limited Periodic Scanning” feature. It can automatically turn itself on and scan your system occasionally, even if you have another antivirus program installed. Windows Defender gives you a second layer of protection, or a “second opinion” on whether your computer is infected. Just head to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Defender and turn on the “Limited Periodic Scanning” feature to enable this.
ps. See post #539

Last edited:
I have just tried and it wanted me to log in to my google account - I don't have one so would also assume that others can't see it either. I am about to get rid of a PC but will get it wiped first so there is no data on it.

Janice
I remember reading somewhere that simply wiping a pc will not get rid of all the data. Most scrapped pc`s end up in places like Nigeria & India where some of the data may be recovered for criminal activities. I recently scrapped my son`s pc, & i removed the casing & took out the hard drive & demolished it with a large hammer.

I also think Windows Defender looks adequate for general computing and in the Anniversary Update Windows Defender has something new namely a “Limited Periodic Scanning” feature. It can automatically turn itself on and scan your system occasionally, even if you have another antivirus program installed.
Don't use it ... I just switched it on and there is a 'Turn On' button in it which if clicked 'finds and uninstalls your existing AV program' ... what were Microsoft thinking ! .... not one of their finest actions ....:(
It is ok to use if you are not using another AV program.

Last edited:
When my old XP desktop started to give issues - I had had it for twelve years - I did the same as you did Smudger. I also dismantled the pc and took it to he local reclamation depot.
As far as the new Anniversary W10 is concerned I have not got it yet, I hope by the time it comes my way many glitches will have been rectified by Microsoft. :eek: Ac tally yesterday I was still getting updates, on both desktop and laptop, for the current version 1511.

I used the Anniversary Update Assistant to get it when I wanted it. You can get it from the link below. It loads an app into your computer which when run, gets and starts the Assistant. Takes up to an hour and half dependent on your connection speed and how busy Microsoft's servers are. Windows Defender only automatically runs if you have no AV program. The update looks good with no glitches but not a major change. The Edge browser is better than it was. I mentioned a few things in post#528.
My version is now 1607 (OS Build 14393.51)
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445

Thanks for the link. I have seen links for the Anniv. edition but I am in no hurry to update. I have read that the Anniv version can change some settings and as the weather is so great I do not want to spend time sorting out a pc. I only use Windows Defender I have no other a/v other than scanning with Malware Bytes. I did have Bitdefender Free at one time but the do not have a free version currently that supports W10. So I stick with what I have. I have never used Edge, just IE for some news however Opera is my principal browser with Firefox as stand by.

Message to oldMohawk. Thank you for your advice on the " Hobbies " thread ( post #30 ) regarding the continuous error signal coming up on my iPad whilst trying to upload photos onto the forum.
The error statement indicated " The upload file is too large ".
Cutting a long story short, I have not of late been able to upload " Camera " photos onto the forum. I have tried numerous ways to try and crack the problem.
Nothing appeared to be getting me anywhere.
Last night I remembered that way back ( couple of years ago ), my first attempts at uploading photos onto the forum resulted in my pictures appearing " upside down ".
At that time you kindly advised me to try a couple of " remedies ".
Straight away I tried one of your suggestions and it worked perfectly.
The remedy was to take the " Camera " photo and then re-take the same photo " internally " in the IPad by clicking the On/Off button and the " Home " button simultaneously.
Selecting this second photo to upload onto the forum worked a treat ( no more upside down photos ).
I've continued to use this method ever since.
Now having problems with the latest photo errors I wondered if I should try reverting back to the original method of just uploading the initial " Camera " photo onto the forum.
Tried it this morning. No errors.
The forum software ( hope I've got the right term ) accepted my photo upload without comment.
( The thread " Hobbies " , post#26, now includes my original intended photo upload ).
I pass on this information oldMohawk perchance it might be of some interest to you.
Thank you again.
Roy.

Last edited:
Hello Roy, I did see your photo in the Hobbies thread and thought 'he's solved' it. The simultaneous pressing of the iPad 'home' and 'on/off' button produces a 'screenshot' which can give large files. When I upload from my iPad I use the same method which Viv described in post#28 in the Hobbies thread. When I saw your post in this Windows thread, I thought you had gone out and bought a Windows laptop ...:D
oldmohawk

My 10 year old desktop was struggling with Windows 10 mainly graphics driver problems, and although I have a laptop and iPad I like a desktop with it's large screen connected direct to the router for internet banking, music, and dvds etc. So I bought a new computer (moderate specification) and put it in place.
'A Windows 10 Story'
As mentioned in post#532 I bought a new desktop computer and after testing it I upgraded it's Windows 10 to the latest August Anniversary Upgrade after which it ran into problems such as the dreaded 'irql_not_less_or_equal' crash and random restarts. I looked at the W10 forums and found many other people with similar problems. I tried some of the solutions, driver reinstalls, etc but it would still randomly restart half way through doing something.

I then decided to restore it back to the 'factory as delivered' state and if it did not run without problems it would be going back to where it came from. However, in this condition it ran perfectly working intensively for two days. It apparently did not like the August AU which I have in my laptop and which is the nicest Windows 10 I've seen.

Eventually I decided to carry out the Nov 2015 upgrade and immediately the computer made random restarts but no 'irql_not_less_or_equal' events. I then made many adjustments in the advanced section of W10 'Power Options' and also changed the W10 update procedure. The computer has now worked (intensively) for two days with no problems so I might have solved the problems.

After a week or so I will again try the August Anniversary Upgrade knowing that I can easily restore back to factory settings or maybe just back to the Win 10 Nov 2015 state. Microsoft seem to be aware of the problems and might come up with a fix ...

Last edited:
'A Windows 10 Story'
After a week or so I will again try the August Anniversary Upgrade knowing that I can easily restore back to factory settings or maybe just back to the Win 10 Nov 2015 state. Microsoft seem to be aware of the problems and might come up with a fix ...
I put my new desktop on early this morning to leave it running and to confirm that I had solved previously mentioned problems. While I wasn't looking, Microsoft quietly upgraded it with the Anniversary Update and I only became aware when I noticed the Start Menu had changed. I'm now on version 1607 (OS Build 1493.51).
I'm not sure who owns this computer .. me or Microsoft .. if it continues to run ok I won't complain !

oldMohawk - you will probably have to reinstall your printer - seems to be par for the course. I also had to reinstall my scanner software, Zone Alarm and a shortcut to Internet Explorer and on my desktop the password protected file sharing wouldn't turn off although I eventually found a fix for that. Otherwise no problems so far!

oldMohawk - you will probably have to reinstall your printer - seems to be par for the course. I also had to reinstall my scanner software, Zone Alarm and a shortcut to Internet Explorer and on my desktop the password protected file sharing wouldn't turn off although I eventually found a fix for that. Otherwise no problems so far!
Thanks Jukebox I will check the printer although it is one of those 'airprint' types which seems to print from anywhere even from my phone. I notice with the AU, Edge is now looking a decent browser and has just imported all my bookmarks from Chrome and put them in the right places.

Hi folks.

Re-sizing your pictures to send to the forum you can use the following programs.
Photo Shop Expensive.
Microsoft Office, Tools, Picture Manager
GIMP free download very much like a cheap Photoshop.
Windows Live, Picture Gallery, Free download with Windows 10
Hope this is helpful

Regards Ray

Last edited:
+1 gimp

you can also use windows inbuilt screenshot tool snipping tool, it's also very good and quick!

I find the following way the easiest to 'down size' pics/files for uploading (1) right click on selected pic (2)click 'open with' (3) click 'paint' (4) press Control and letter W together, in the resulting box reduce from 100% to (say) 50%, click OK click 'x' in top right hand corner. Eric

I use a 'power toy' built into Windows. I don't need to see the pics to downsize them.
Right click on the pic file name in it's folder.
The normal 'right click' Windows box appears.
Click on 'resize pictures' and a box appears asking what size pic is wanted.
Click on chosen size and a resized copy of the pic instantly appears in the folder.
All the pics in a folder can be resized in one go if wanted.

I use a 'power toy' built into Windows. I don't need to see the pics to downsize them.
Right click on the pic file name in it's folder.
The normal 'right click' Windows box appears.
Click on 'resize pictures' and a box appears asking what size pic is wanted.
Click on chosen size and a resized copy of the pic instantly appears in the folder.
All the pics in a folder can be resized in one go if wanted.

Not on mine oldMohawk (W10 anniversary update). Did you perhaps install 'Image Resizer' at some stage? (https://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/)

Hi Jukebox, that's the one. I've used it for years. It used to come integrated in Windows XP but Microsoft dropped it in Win 7 and I had to install it from then onwards.

I notice somewhere in the depths of the forum in vB times and probably using Windows 8, I must have posted an image of the Resizer in use but can't find where. Here is that image re-posted of how it is used and I still use it in Windows 10.
Screenshot (3) (Small).jpg

Last edited:
Re resizing. I use "bog standard" Windows10. Select (1) File Explorer,(2) Pictures, (3) Edit, (4) Home, (5) Resize. If I can do it.........

Back