• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

oldmohawk, thanks for additional info, will add it to my PC notes on W10, I have downloaded my McFee antivirus, free on my BT package (used to be Norton but BT changed to McFee a few years ago). Eric

If you use Microsoft's OneDrive with it's free 5GB, there is a OneDrive app (free) for iPads or iPhones which can be set to make all photos in the iPad Camera Roll automatically copy to OneDrive which being fully integrated with Win 10 shows as a drive or folder in File Explorer.

A photo taken with an iPad or iPhone usually appears in OneDrive within 20 seconds if you have a fast internet connection. If you have a slow or mobile connection it takes longer but will get there eventually. It's like having an auto backup in Windows for photos in an iPad or iPhone.

If you don't want to leave the photos in OneDrive you can always drag them into a local folder on your laptop.

Photos can also be moved the other way from OneDrive to iPad's Camera Roll.

There are similar apps for Android tablets and phones.

Last edited:
WINDOWS 10 AUTOMATIC UPDATES >>>>>
For anyone who doesn't like letting Windows 10 updating automatically there is a way around the problem, it not provided in the usual place that was on previous operating systems, and it is not quite so versatile either but it it does give you the chance to look and agree to install if and when you want it. For those who have installed classic shell :- you go start > search programmes and files > type in the box gpedit.msc for those with the windows 10 start screen open all apps and scroll down to windows power shell open the drop down click on powershell and in the screen that opens type gpedit the next set of instructions apply either way ...... click on Computer Configuration > Aministrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates to enabled (selection top left) and select option 2 drop down in the box (box in middles left side) (notify for download and notify for install) click apply > o.k. and you should get notifications that there are updates available for download. close all boxes, job done.

Does anyone know if you can download but not install Windows 10? I don't want to install it at present as I use an exam programme which won't run in Windows 10 yet (or so the exam board tells me).

Janice

You may find that Microsoft have already downloaded it into your computer see links below, they did so in my Win7 desktop even though I eventually could not use it.
If you have the little white Windows icon on the right of your taskbar you merely have to click it to reserve a copy and install it when you want to. You have until 29 July 2016 to do it for free.
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquire...ading-windows-10-to-your-machine-just-in-case
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-windows-10-started-installing-pc

It is probably staring me in the face but could some kind soul please point me to the button which minimises all screens and reveals the desktop, please? Is in the extreme right-hand bottom corner in 7 and am already forgetting where it was in XP!

(One of the many, many frustrations with a new W10 machine which I am encountering is that the OS is still too new for a quick Google to answer damn-fool questions like that. You wade through a set of instructions, only to find that it refers to some pre-launch issue far removed from what we have now acquired).

Grrhh and thanks!

Chris

You may find that Microsoft have already downloaded it into your computer see links below, they did so in my Win7 desktop even though I eventually could not use it.
If you have the little white Windows icon on the right of your taskbar you merely have to click it to reserve a copy and install it when you want to. You have until 29 July 2016 to do it for free.
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquire...ading-windows-10-to-your-machine-just-in-case
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-windows-10-started-installing-pc
Everytime I download W8.1 updates I get the message that W10 is ready to install and to restart, after I restart nothing happens. So it looks like W10 does download automatically but in my case won't install.

It is probably staring me in the face but could some kind soul please point me to the button which minimises all screens and reveals the desktop, please? Is in the extreme right-hand bottom corner in 7 and am already forgetting where it was in XP!

(One of the many, many frustrations with a new W10 machine which I am encountering is that the OS is still too new for a quick Google to answer damn-fool questions like that. You wade through a set of instructions, only to find that it refers to some pre-launch issue far removed from what we have now acquired).

Grrhh and thanks!

Chris
Hi Chris - I've never used that but now I look I can see a 1mm wide button (hardly noticeable) down in the right hand corner of my screen which works when I click it.
The method I use is to hold the 'Windows' key and press the 'D' key.
The same key presses will bring the windows back.

Everytime I download W8.1 updates I get the message that W10 is ready to install and to restart, after I restart nothing happens. So it looks like W10 does download automatically but in my case won't install.
Hi Nickcc - Does the method with the media creation tool in post#245 not work ? What happens when you try it ?

astonian are you well as for myself I'm as well as can be expected and still in touch with a lot of BHF ex members. Send me your email via Jean she will pass it on

cheers alf

Hi Ya ALF
My old son of a gun it was very nice to see you on the silver screen again ha ha,
After along Absense and it nice to hear you are well i myself is just about ticking away myself but i will say more
When i get jean to pass throughmy E MAIL to you shortly ,okay by the way i hope your good lady dutchess is well and fine also
Best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,

Hi Nickcc - Does the method with the media creation tool in post#245 not work ? What happens when you try it ?
Just gets as far as loading from the Microsoft link then comes up with the same error message. Will have another bash soon trying from the USB stick.

On the whole I am quite happy with W10. What I dont like though is the way you have to restart or shutdown by clicking on the button at the bottom and then power and then shutdown or restart, so I have put 2 shortcuts on my desktop to make things a lot quicker. It is very simple to do and if anyone else would like to try it I have attached the instructions. Just copy and paste the instruction you want.......https://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-10&faq=43

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Capture77 (Medium).JPG
    Capture77 (Medium).JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 6
I'm also a satisfied Windows 10 user.

I shut down by closing the laptop lid which hibernates it and then switches off.
I start up by opening the laptop lid which brings it out of hibernation, I enter my password and 20 secs later it's running.

OneDrive - I even use it to move photos out of my Apple iPad.

Dislikes
Edge - Needs a lot of improvement particularly since Microsoft slightly hide IE in Win 10.
Bing - I still use Google search.

I have two accounts in my laptop.
Local - admin user.
Microsoft - standard user.

Have to say that I have been finding it a bit of a pain. It is never taken me as long to import stuff from a previous life, nor experience similar frustration. My jump is from XP which I loved (although I have had a bit of experience with 7 on my laptop) and has involved a completely new machine as the old one gave up on me. So no doubt some of my difficulties are not wholly down to Windows 10. Nevertheless....

Windows 10 makes me think of a typical supermarket and Austin Maxis. The former because when you go in at the door everything seems to have been changed around since last week; and they don't even always use the same names even if it is still in the same place. And the latter because it's a brilliant product but it's on the market before the last 5% of development has been carried out.

Just a few examples. Where is Control Panel and My Computer? Simple to find them really, when you eventually realise that there is a right click option on the Start button and My Computer is now called This PC. Where is the Minimise Everything button? You need oldmohawk to answer that one. All so easy when you know how but finding out can take an age when so much is less than intuitive. Why (as has already been mentioned here) does it still take three clicks - when you have found the route - to close the thing down when there are so many other shortcut buttons about which few of us will ever use?

As for the Maxi element, well, I haven't explored everything yet (and probably won't with much of it!) and so can't really comment on the finer details of Edge, Icloud options and so on. But, what about the new email system? All integrated and the obvious thing is to use it. However, what do you do if in your old Live Mail system (or even OE) you have evolved a filing structure where years of old email correspondence is stored and often accessed? Eventually you find out that you cannot do it yet in this new system - no doubt a future update will sort that out but at the moment all you can do is to go back to WLM, now a superseded application and one in which Microsoft will probably lose all interest very shortly. I have had a lot of trouble in importing all these old files into WLM using 10 which I never had with XP or 7 (or even with the regular reinstalling I had to do with the appalling Vista). And, changing car manufacturers for a moment, what about the new Search function they call Ford Cortina or something? Dictating into it is great, provided all you want is a web search (and results in Bing rather than your preference which is probably Google)? But what about an internal search, for files and similar? You get that by typing in, rather than dictating, because THEN you get the option of My Stuff or Web. All fine - when eventually you discover the quirk.

One of the major problems at the moment with 10 is that the world is still trying to catch up with it. Very few hardware and software providers even mention the new system on their Download Drivers or Help pages. And the old fallback of getting a quick answer to a silly, simple question by using Google isn't yet a lot of use because relatively few people have so far posted the answers based on their own experience. And even when they have, you eventually find that they are referring to some previous, beta version of the software.

If you are moving up from 7 or 8 on an existing machine, perhaps things may seem more familiar and therefore easier. But I think if I had my time again what I would probably do when buying a completely new machine is to think long and hard about taking the illogical step of buying it with 7 or 8 installed and then doing a free update to 10 when things settle down a bit. Or even, if circumstances had allowed, hang on for a while before doing anything at all.

Chris

Last edited:
Shutting Down Win 10 - Go to Control Panel - System and Security - Power Options (see below)

On the left you can choose what happens when you close the lid and other things.

I chose 'Hibernate' but there are other options.

My laptop had a built in option 'What happens when Panel (lid) opens, see it at bottom of list, but if I did not have this I suppose I would just press the laptop's on/off button.
power.JPG

Shutting Down Win 10 - Go to Control Panel - System and Security - Power Options (see below)

On the left you can choose what happens when you close the lid and other things.

I chose 'Hibernate' but there are other options.

My laptop had a built in option 'What happens when Panel (lid) opens, see it at bottom of list, but if I did not have this I suppose I would just press the laptop's start button.
View attachment 101935
Windows 10, what a faff-on, or as Princess Anne likes to say, "tell it to naff off". Long live simplicity & windows7. Smudger

Windows 10, what a faff-on, or as Princess Anne likes to say, "tell it to naff off". Long live simplicity & windows7. Smudger
Hi Smudger - I remember when I first saw Windows 1 in 1986 and thought it was a gimmick which would never catch on !
In 1979 I had my first ever go on a computer and soon had fun with it as mentioned in an old thread..
friendly_wink.png

We all use computers and I thought about the first one I ever touched at work in (history bit) 1979. It was a Commodore Pet with a programing language called Basic. We had it to do quotes and other calcs, but for a week or more we could not stop playing with it and very little real work was done, we even stayed late to play with it.
We found out everything we could about a Secretary in the Buying Office, loaded it in the computer, and told her it could read her palm, know all about her and tell her future, if she placed her hand on the keyboard. She couldn't resist, and was amazed to see 'Hello Betty' appear on screen and it knew all about her. She was astounded and wanted all the Office Girls to try it, but it only had 32K of memory so we had to say she was special and it only knew about her. When it put a message on screen saying it was in love with her, she guessed what we had done and our nice little Pet nearly got smashed. We took a photo of it doing some 'real work'.
pet8032.jpg

oldMohawk,

What a fantastic memory you have, not to mention a wicked sense of humour. The nearest type of computer i can remember was a machine called Vectrex which i think was some sort of space arcade game & very adictive. I`m afraid the only pc game i can manage these days is Chess Titans, & level two (out of ten) is my limit. Good luck with W10, although i think with your knowledge you don`t need luck. Smudger.

Back