• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

don,t do it!!
Some of us have already done it .... is there something we should know about ?
uc

A cousin in New Zealand recently sent me a short joke as follows:-

"Ï've been a naughty girl and I need punishing", said the girl, biting her lip.
"Very well", said the man and installed Windows 10 on her laptop.

Maurice

yeah, everyone I know has had trouble with it in one way or another didn't mean to alarm you
Hi Lorraine - It takes a lot to alarm us ! I suppose it depends on what laptop or computer is being upgraded. My opinion is, if you are running Windows 7 then stay with it, but if you are running Windows 8 then it is worth upgrading particularly if you use the method which keeps your existing files. If you are using the Chrome browser then that transfers easily and keeps it's existing bookmarks. As far as I know, Internet Explorer does not keep it's bookmarks and MSoft have in fact slightly hidden it as they push people to their new browser Edge.
oldmohawk

Sent from my iPad

After I tried 'Edge' see my post#258, I later found Chrome would not open !!!
An error message 'The server threw an exception' appeared and a bit of Googling from my iPad suggested that a PUP from Yontoo had got in. I then ran a scan using Malwarebytes which sure enough found two malware PUPs and deleted them. All ok since, but I am definitely not going to use 'Edge'.

Sent from my iPad

Some of us have already done it .... is there something we should know about ?

I have had W10 installed for about a month on my desktop. Fist attempt was a real issue and I reverted to the original 8.1. Second attempt went fine as still does.

However W10 is still not compatible with many pcs and laptops principally due to driver incomparability. I tried to upgrade my Sony laptop yesterday - it failed at the very end of the installation due to driver issues. My laptop was, automatically, returned to its original W7 format.
The automatic reversion process seems to be a newer feature of failed W10 installations, probably;y because so many folks were quite angry with Microsoft for causing serious issues for them.

One word of caution then would be do not accept the comment that your pc/laptop is compatible. M/soft said mine was and Sony suggested it was (but no guarantee by them) and it plainly is not.

I will try and see if I can alter the drivers on my laptop but if not I am quite happy to stick with W7 which is a fine operating system.

does any one know how long windows 7 will be supported ??? I find windows 10 on my new Acer PC confusing, so have had my 4 year old HP PC put back in working order (replacement CD/DVD player and a couple of software gliches). Will put my new PC in mothballs, or maybe pass it to a family member Eric

I still havent read any good reason to upgrade to W10. My laptop is a central part of my life, internet banking etc, so I darent consider upgrading.

Thanks Maurice, I presume I can carry on beyond that date without support if I wish ? (assuming I'm still around, I'll be 90 in 2020). Regret buying this new PC now, still it may while away winter evenings trying to 'suss' it out. Eric

Eric,

They say that "Windows 7 is a usable operating system for the next five years" though exactly what they mean by that is not clear.

Maurice

At the moment the upgrade to W10 is free but that will expire. That's the only reason you should do this now rather than later.
Windows will drop support for the older versions over time and once that happens, various other programs will cease to support those versions. If you're using a PC for secure transactions at the moment, you'll probably find that your internet security programs will start to fail sometime in the 2020s. This won't happen until Windows has dropped support for a few years but it will probably happen. Some of the programs that have been replaced by functions internal to Windows 10 may disappear long before that as companies fail to sell new product. This could include various security systems although I doubt it.
Depending on what you use your PC for, there may be other alternatives. Mobile devices are getting better and becoming more secure. You could wind up doing a lot of the internet stuff on one of them.
Windows 7 will remain viable for much longer than Windows says it will but you may not be able to use it for as much.

my 'new' Acer PC was upgraded from 8.1 to 10 by PC World when I purchased it last month, set up and running in my spare bed room, my 4 year old and repaired HP PC using Windows 7 is what I understand and prefer using, its so simple and easily understood, so I will keep to that and ignore the constant offers of a free Windows 10 up grade. They are both desk top PC's, don't like lap tops, mainly because of my simulator games. Have attached pic of my desk top, so simple to follow.Desk Top.jpg Eric

Last edited:
Nice looking desktop screen Eric. Although I run Win 10 with no problems on my laptops, my old HP computer with Win 7 could not be upgraded as previously mentioned. I got rid of the little white window icon on my Win 7 taskbar by deleting the windows update KB3035583 which Microsoft had put in my Win 7 computer.

my 'new' Acer PC was upgraded from 8.1 to 10 by PC World when I purchased it last month, set up and running in my spare bed room, my 4 year old and repaired HP PC using Windows 7 is what I understand and prefer using, its so simple and easily understood, so I will keep to that and ignore the constant offers of a free Windows 10 up grade. They are both desk top PC's, don't like lap tops, mainly because of my simulator games. Have attached pic of my desk top, so simple to follow.View attachment 101200 Eric

I`m with you Eric, sticking with windows7. As someone on forum said `if it aint broke leave it alone` Love your desktop Eric, how did you get that clock up in the corner?

lol smudger thats my saying...if it does the job you require it to do and it aint broke dont fix it...windows 7 for me as well

lyn

Despite the fact that I already have W10 on a memory stick, it has downloaded yet again as a background task without informing me. Having had one unsuccessful attempt at installing it - which failed with a blue screen of death - I have decided not to install it now, except possibly on a elderly laptop which currently has W8.0, as drivers for some of my older programs may not be available and the problem relating to Notation Composer 3 (reported earlier in this thread) has still not been fixed 10 months after it was first reported. So I'll happily continue to be a user of W7 on my main machine as will my Other Half.

Maurice

my 'new' Acer PC was upgraded from 8.1 to 10 by PC World when I purchased it last month, set up and running in my spare bed room, my 4 year old and repaired HP PC using Windows 7 is what I understand and prefer using, its so simple and easily understood, so I will keep to that and ignore the constant offers of a free Windows 10 up grade. They are both desk top PC's, don't like lap tops, mainly because of my simulator games. Have attached pic of my desk top, so simple to follow.View attachment 101200 Eric
Regret buying this new PC now, still it may while away winter evenings trying to 'suss' it out. Eric
Hi Eric - If you do decide to have a go at 'sussing' out your new Acer Windows 10 PC, it is possible to make it look very much like Windows 7.
Shown below is a pic of the 'desktop' screen layout on my 4 year old HP Compaq laptop upgraded to Windows 10 and I installed my (rather old 2002) copy of MS Flight Sim with no problem. I haven't yet been able to get that fancy clock of yours on my desktop but I suppose I could if I really tried.
oldmohawk
s1c.jpg

Back