• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
I now have the option of reserving Windows 10. Its a free download for the next 12 months to win 7/win 8 users. Has anyone tried it out yet? Whilst I am happy with win 7, I am one of those people who like to try things out, plus eventually we will all probably have to upgrade anyway.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 35
Well, I have now reserved it, Lets see what happens.

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 17
I noticed a little Windows icon had appeared this morning on the right in my Windows 8.1 task bar offering the reserve etc. I wonder if there is an 'undo' feature if you find that you don't like Windows 10 ....

Attachments

• Untitled 1.pdf
    8.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
re win 10 i have just installed win 10 on an evaluation basis, looks ok you can revert back to your oldystem if you do not get on with it. hope tis helps sidwho

Even though I find Windows 8.1 nice to use, I've registered for W10 on my newish W8.1 laptop and also with my old desk computer on which I had installed W7 dual booted with XP which was in it when I bought it 10 years ago. I use the desktop computer for more serious work so I shall try W10 first on my laptop.

Having come through the 'ups and downs' of 5 upgrades of iOS on my iPad, I learnt to hold back a month or so until everyone else has discovered the bugs ...
friendly_wink.png

Having suffered Windows 8 on one of our laptops, I think we will stick with Windows 7 until Windows 10 has reached its umpteenth edition, thank you!

Maurice

Hi All,

I am using Vista but it is time I had a change. I will buy a new computer but will wait until Windows 10 has settled in

Old Boy

Also just registered. Couldn't find the little icon as I'd made the task bar invisible, found after doing a search and using the task bar manager :)

I would use it but at the moment use a program for GCSE work which isn't supported beyond windows 8.1 so can't risk it.

Janice

It is still in Beta I gather the folks who like testing are still doing just that. It is not being released generally, as I an someone else has already posted, until 29th. July.

Is there any body else like me who is fed up forever trying to keep up with continual changes, at my age (85 this month) I have a job assimulating all this high tech made more difficult by constantly changing the procedures, just beginning to understand Win XP (and liking it) changed PC and found I had Vista, next PC win 7 which I like and intend to stay with as long as possible. Its the same with mobile phones, what a 'smart phone' is I do not know, nor an I pad or I phone or Tablet, all just words to me and will remain so. Have attaché pic of my desk top , so simple and straitforward. Desk Top.jpgEric

Last edited:
As an ex-techie I agree with you entirely Eric. It's a bit like Photoshop, versions 6 and 7 did nothing for photographers, they were just aimed at designers. Much the same can be said for most of these recent versions of Windows. They just get larger, gobbling up more memory and disk space with very little in return, apart from a vast profit for Microsoft.

Maurice

I saw Windows 8 appear and thought I don't like the look of it and not many others liked it. I then had to buy a new laptop because I accidentally sat on my Windows 7 laptop and broke the screen. The new laptop came with Windows 8.1 and in desktop mode it looks virtually the same as Windows 7 apart from a slightly different task bar. It runs a 15 year old program I use to edit photos and other 'legacy' software I used when I was at work. I can't think of anything I use which it can't run and it seems light on resources and fast.

Last edited:
Phil,

I bought 8.0 to stick on an existing laptop - not touch screen - that was running Vista, only because it was on offer and half the price of Win 7. Big mistake. So I replaced the interface with the freebie non-touch screen version, which was fine except if you go into a folder of pictures and click on a picture, it displays OK on Irfanview, my default viewer because I hate Windows Media Player. Then click on Next to get the next picture and the damned operating system reverts to the touch screen version and Windows Media Player. You can't update to 8.1 without splashing out a load of money and I don't use the laptop very often. Just one of 8.0's annoying features!.

Maurice

Phil,

Definitely a legal copy, but when I try to upgrade they ask for money!

Maurice

My windows 8 was upgarded automatically to 8.1 in the windows update procedure. Certaibly did not pay. Have you got a rogue virus?

Back