• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wakes Green Windmill

A

Angie Gardner

I am researching the Sarehole area between 1900 and 1910. I have mention of a tattered windmill within walking distance of Sarehole Mill. Does anybody have any information, pictures or clues that might help me please? I know it had a "gin" but that is all the information I have. Any help gratefully received.

The only one I know of was the one along 'Priory Road', 'Yardley Wood'. This was still standing in the 1950's to 1960 when it was destroyed to build houses. There is something on it on this site. Yes it was within walking distance possibly by following the River Cole to just before High Street Solihull Lodge.

Note: Yardley Wood is not near Yardley and Solihull Lodge is some miles from Solihull if you are not familiar with the area.

Some photos including one of the mill I mention above. https://aghs.virtualbrum.co.uk/ywimages/imydleywd.htm

It is possible that other mills existed at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
if i remember correctly this windmill was along the road from the mill
it was even a stone throw away from it that would have been in the fifties and
i rememember i day it had gone but still kept the moat we used to ride the no 11 bus every sunday afternoon around the 11 route for 6d every week we alternate which way we would go i would say i think it was virtualy on the front of the ground and the eleven terinus use to stop right out side the gate then one day afew years later they have moved the clock in for the driver and then years later they done away with that
but that 11 bus did stop right outside the front gate and i mean right out sid the gate , best wishes astonian ,;;

Loisand - I think that the 'Wake Green Mill' is the nearest to Sarehole Mill and that it is a Post Mill looks about right. This area would have been within the Parish of Yardley at the time.

I may be wrong but the only Windmill I recall in the area is the one shown in the link I put up and was near the remains of the Priory at the end of Priory Road a few miles along the River Cole from Sarehole Mill. The one described as blown up by dyanmite.

The only other mill I remember was way over near Tanworth in Arden and that one is now at the Arden Museum of Buildings near Bromsgrove.

I lived off Brook Lane from 1948 to 1963.

Info off Wikipedia

Like nearby Sarehole it is no longer a postal address. It used to straddle the parish boundary of Yardley (Worcestershire at the time) and Kings Norton and was an area of 'waste land', that is, land which had not yet been cultivated. In the past it had a post mill (windmill) - Wake Green Mill, mentioned in a deed of 1664 when it was in the possession of Richard Grevis. This was just above what is now Moseley Bog.
As the outskirts of Birmingham became built upon around the turn of the twentieth cenntury, Wake Green disappeared beneath the growing 'villages' of Moseley and Kings Heath, eventually becoming the centre of a new parish of Saint Agnes, Moseley (now a conservation area). Its name lives on in

Thank you all so much for your help. It sounds as if the Wakes Green Mill is probably the one. Does anyone know if it was still there up until the Great War started?

Back