• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windermere Rd Park/ground Saved

James Smerdon is listed as a gardener and on the 1912 e roll lived at "cottage at The Leasowes". By 1920 he was listed on the e roll at Billesley House Lodge on Yardley Wood Road. I don't think Arthur Smerdon was connected to The Leasowes. James is listed as the gardener to A. Heath at The Leasowes. See post #11

James Smerdon is listed as a gardener and on the 1912 e roll lived at "cottage at The Leasowes". By 1920 he was listed on the e roll at Billesley House Lodge on Yardley Wood Road. I don't think Arthur Smerdon was connected to The Leasowes. James is listed as the gardener to A. Heath at The Leasowes. See post #11
Could it be possible that The Leasowes was turned into flats for several occupants at the same time at a much earlier date?
I'm struggling to figure it all out, maybe A. Heath was just a live in landlord for a while? Also, looking at the maps you provided it seems that out of all the houses built post 1967 on the site, there is a much larger older building located today at 160 Wake Green Rd, it appears to be the location of where the lodge was originally, could it possibly be the lodge itself or part of it was? I've taken a real interest, as I used to live in one of the new houses where The Leasowes used to be.

The house numbered 160 is too large to be a lodge and appears to be the next to where the lodge at the Leasowes is marked on the 1937 map. The red marker is 160.
1617472455113.png
In 1912 A Heath is listed in the rates books as the owner and occupier of The Leasowes + the Lodge (occupied by J Smerdon) + land

The house numbered 160 is too large to be a lodge and appears to be the next to where the lodge at the Leasowes is marked on the 1937 map. The red marker is 160.
View attachment 155455
In 1912 A Heath is listed in the rates books as the owner and occupier of The Leasowes + the Lodge (occupied by J Smerdon) + land
Yes you're right about the lodge, just looking on google maps and I can see the lodge would be exactly where the drive is for 162 Wake Green Rd, also 160 appears to be the same building it is now.

Alfred Heath died in 1929 and The Leasowes is given as his address. Windermere Fields are marked as a sports ground by the 1937 map. Problem is I can't find a map between 1916 and 1937 to try to see when they became a sports ground.

I posted on the garden thread about watering over on these fields on Tuesday.

Great excitement today as a group of 5 or 6 buzzards (so I am reliably informed) were circling overhead. Too high for a photo but could hear their cries.
Part of the field has been left for the grass to grow long as a meadow so not sure what wildlife they might have spotted.

Last edited:
Thought I would post this item on this thread.
Birmingham's Chelsea Show entry celebrates the green spaces and parks in Birmingham. Each park was asked to submit photos of their use of the space - Windermere Fields submitted some - I don't know how the ideas were shown but.... Brmingham has won an 11th consecutive Gold Medal.

That's lovely Janice that they've celebrated the history of Birmingham parks. I like the metal tulips, and how appropriate that it will be reassembled in Cannon Hill Park. Viv

I originally posted on the garden thread last year about the work being done by volunteers on these fields.
I thought some of you might like to see evidence of the work done on the "saved" fields. Last year we created 5 wildflower beds and earlier this year we sowed a seed mix of flowers designed to attract insects and butterflies.
When I took these this morning our "expert" wasn't there so I don't know the names of all of them. I love the orange hawkweed - that one was actually a self seed in among the longest meadow grass but we do have it in the wildflower beds as well. It has another name which I think is lovely - fox and cubs.

Attachments

• Orange Hawkweed.jpg
    Orange Hawkweed.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 10
  • wildflower 1.jpg
    wildflower 1.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Wildflower 3.jpg
    Wildflower 3.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 10
  • wildflower 2.jpg
    wildflower 2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 10
  • wildflower 4.jpg
    wildflower 4.jpg
    701.4 KB · Views: 10
  • wildflower 5.jpg
    wildflower 5.jpg
    665.3 KB · Views: 10
I originally posted on the garden thread last year about the work being done by volunteers on these fields.
I thought some of you might like to see evidence of the work done on the "saved" fields. Last year we created 5 wildflower beds and earlier this year we sowed a seed mix of flowers designed to attract insects and butterflies.
When I took these this morning our "expert" wasn't there so I don't know the names of all of them. I love the orange hawkweed - that one was actually a self seed in among the longest meadow grass but we do have it in the wildflower beds as well. It has another name which I think is lovely - fox and cubs.
spendid work jan ....keep up the good work

lyn

We have winter visitors - bringing human vsitors as well.

Every so often at this time of year we are graced with a small flock of waxwings.
I can't take credit for the photo of the single bird but did have permission to post the photo.

Attachments

• waxwing.jpg
    waxwing.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 6
  • waxwings.JPG
    waxwings.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
We have winter visitors - bringing human vsitors as well.

Every so often at this time of year we are graced with a small flock of waxwings.
I can't take credit for the photo of the single bird but did have permission to post the photo.
what a treat jan...keep your eyes open thanks for the photos

lyn

Back