• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

wind mill wind mill lane yardley

Some photos and a location map for the Yardley Wood Windmill (Bach Mill), I'm sure the members here will soon fill you in on the history of the mill, if it's not on the forum somewhere already.

Yardley Wood Old Windmill Priory Rd.jpgYardley Wood The Old Windmill.jpgYardley Wood Windmill 1930  .jpgYardley Wood Windmill Windmill Rd .jpgwindmill.JPG

A good thread on Priory Mill, Solihull Lodge, here.
But I do not think that this is the mill that Ravenwood seeks.

Priory Mill was a watermill a couple of hundred yards away from the actual windmill that Ravenwood is seeking information on.

Ok Phil, both windmill and watermills and previous ones are mentioned on BHF. I knew the old windmill ( I could see it from my home) and the remains of the watermills. I did think he was looking for one in the Yardley area which was an area not very familiar to me.

Radiorails

I know both areas reasonably well and never having heard of a Windmill Lane in Yardley, but knowing that Windmill Road in Yardley Wood was called Windmill Lane up to the end of the 1950's at least was the reason I plumped for Yardley Wood, but as Ravenwood has made no reply yet we cannot be sure of anything until he does.

Thanks to each member who has contributed to this thread. Have to say I wasn’t sure what was being requested here. And sadly the request seems a bit abrupt. We are a very willing group of people and a please/thank you is the sort of courtesy we expect on this forum.

Viv.

my appologies for being abrupt, sadly it's part of my nature,I'll try to be a little more explanatory, at the time I posted I didn't have much information to go on though I did know it had been distroyed. Just a little history, I grew up in the prefabs on Coleside avenue by the 4 arches, I left England in 56. I'm interested in finding history on the places I new as a youngster. Thanks for the photos and information, much appreciated. brought back some good memories.

Thank you Ravenwood for a road name. Looking at a map, for the location of Coleside Avenue I see where you were. I left the Solihull area in 1954 but did have an uncle in Cole Valley Road at the time.
The mill discussed in earlier posts might be the one you see, it was prominent on a hill, but you might also mean Sarehole Mill which was fairly close to where you lived.
A lot is recorded here about Sarehole Mill.

As far as I am aware the Windmill (Bach Mill) stood derelict from the end of the 19th century until they built new housing on the site (Cotton Grove) in the 1960's. Before that we used to get the bus from Sparkbrook the number 13 to the terminus and play in the fields and swim in the millpool.

As you can easily walk from Coleside Ave through the Dingles to Priory Road and hence to where the mill was my guess would also be Bach Mill. I don't remember the mill itself but that, I think, is the most likely windmill.

Thank you Ravenwood for a road name. Looking at a map, for the location of Coleside Avenue I see where you were. I left the Solihull area in 1954 but did have an uncle in Cole Valley Road at the time.
The mill discussed in earlier posts might be the one you see, it was prominent on a hill, but you might also mean Sarehole Mill which was fairly close to where you lived.
A lot is recorded here about Sarehole Mill.

That is the mill I was looking for, I know Sarehole mill, would the mill have been part of Sarehole farm? As there used to be a large barn on Wakefield road were I believe there's a petrol station now. I believe it bordered Brooks farm where Coleside avenue "old Wakefield road" is now, there was a building there just by the four arches bridge, would like to have more information on that, did have a photo 1932 from Hall Green archive but unable to find it again, but no history.

As you can easily walk from Coleside Ave through the Dingles to Priory Road and hence to where the mill was my guess would also be Bach Mill. I don't remember the mill itself but that, I think, is the most likely windmill.

that's correct, anywhere between Mosely Bog and the aquaduct, was our playground. I need a map pre-1960 thanks.

If you click here https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/ then insert a post code (B13 0BX) you will then get a choice of maps on the left and the map on the right can be moved around to show different places.

I would copy the maps but to show Sarehole Mill and Coleside Avenue would mean the map was very small type.

There is a lot in the Mills of Birmingham thread (linked in an earlier post here) about this mill, which was very familiar to me as a youngster. I am glad I lived in Devon and did not witness its demolition.

Back