• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wimbush Bakery

Some advertising materials for Wimbush bakery

Attachments

• 6D1FF918-6644-4FBB-911C-D4DCAAF28ADC.jpeg
    6D1FF918-6644-4FBB-911C-D4DCAAF28ADC.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 18
  • DC5990D1-FF2C-4EBA-8110-4EEF6814ABAC.jpeg
    DC5990D1-FF2C-4EBA-8110-4EEF6814ABAC.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 18
Hi. Not sure if anyone out there remembers my father. He was a production manager there and lived and breathed Wimbush. His name was Matt King
Hi, I have been reminiscing since I lost my mom at Christmas, I found this site and felt I had to say Hi.

My dad, Bill McDonald, was there for 47 years and My Mom 30 years, my brother, sister and myself worked there too. I was there for 20yrs
I Worked on the confectionary side under My Dad and Peter Prince and the production manager Val Burne. On a Friday, and also when the Bread department was stuck for break relief your dad who was the Bread production manager always asked my dad if he could nick me. He knew I could use the Tweedy Mixers and he could trust me, I was so proud as I was 16/17 at the time. He was a great man who I really respected and my dad and Matt were good friends both being Irish they were thick as thieves. If I ever couldn't find either of them I usually found them in the despatch office having a cuppa, well, when they actually took a break.

Hi all I wonder if any one remembers Danny and Windsor Vaughan who worked at Wimbushs for many years they had the loudest motorbike ever and the police reckon they woke up Kingshurst every morning at 5 o'clock on the way to start their shift. Regards acklam19.
Yes I worked with Danny for years, as a kid and a man. As my dad worked there for 47 years I knew most everybody because they would always spoil me with cakes when my dad and I went to get my Mom after her late shift. Danny always bought me out something nice I was about 6yrs old then god 50 years ago. He would always help me out when I was struggling or had gotten told off for doing something wrong at work and he always cheered me back up especially with his laugh. I would go back to those days in a heart beat.

Hi, I have been reminiscing since I lost my mom at Christmas, I found this site and felt I had to say Hi.

My dad, Bill McDonald, was there for 47 years and My Mom 30 years, my brother, sister and myself worked there too. I was there for 20yrs
I Worked on the confectionary side under My Dad and Peter Prince and the production manager Val Burne. On a Friday, and also when the Bread department was stuck for break relief your dad who was the Bread production manager always asked my dad if he could nick me. He knew I could use the Tweedy Mixers and he could trust me, I was so proud as I was 16/17 at the time. He was a great man who I really respected and my dad and Matt were good friends both being Irish they were thick as thieves. If I ever couldn't find either of them I usually found them in the despatch office having a cuppa, well, when they actually took a break.
Great story Justin! Welcome to The Forum, a super place, enjoy!

I think you will find that Wimbush's bakery had its beginnings through Nelson Wimbush, a confectioner in Congreve Street, Birmingham. His name appeared prominently on a large shield giving a brief history of the company in the reception hall to the main offices at the corner of Little Green Lane and Green Lane.
Undoubtedly, the company was the largest bakery in Birmingham at one time which can be judged from the fact that in 1949 the company operated a fleet of 71 delivery vans with carrying capacities from one ton to two tons.
The company also had large garage facility in Whitmore Road, Small Heath, where the vans were serviced, repaired and washed and re-fueled on a daily basis, the largest building extending through to Parliament Street, and still standing today. The last building to be built on this site was a drive-through automatic van washer, and this building still stands today converted into a small shop.
PA739
Hi there all, Wimbush Bakery was founded by Ambrose Durant Wimbush he was a family Baker and started with a small bakery in Mansell street Small Heath. As the buisness grew he moved to 554 Coventry Road but still it grew. In 1925 the site at Little Green Lane was born. In 1957 the share capitol was bought by Rank Hovis McDougall during it's time the factory had several departments upgraded and built and the biggest of which was called the Beech Grove extension or New Building as staff called it) in1967, and finaly the Frozen Bakery in 1991 Which was my first Supervisory position. My whole family worked there including myself for 20 years but my dad worked there the longest for 47 years infact until he retired. Which was 3 years before an American company called Hanson’s I think it was, bought the entire business which included (Wimbush) or Three cooks as it was known by then which was part of British bakeries (mothers pride) who took over Wimbush’s in the early 80’s. also part of the group were Sharwood’s and Bisto. We were due to move to new single storey premises and had looked at and had put a bid in for the old Post office site near the island with the pump on it just off the A38m. Until one morning we had a fax from Hanson’s telling us to cease purchase of the Post office site continue with the sale of the current site, and make all staff redundant. It was all I knew from my first memories as a child until it closed and I along with over 300 people were made redundant. It was one of the hardest days of my life handing out redundancy notices to the staff who worked in the departments I ran. People who I had known since a child and believe me I knew some great people and we made some wonderful family friends. Trust me Greggs would not be where they are today if things had gone differently, they never could out sell us. Love to everyone who worked there especially If they knew the McDonald Family.
I think you will find that Wimbush's bakery had its beginnings through Nelson Wimbush, a confectioner in Congreve Street, Birmingham. His name appeared prominently on a large shield giving a brief history of the company in the reception hall to the main offices at the corner of Little Green Lane and Green Lane.
Undoubtedly, the company was the largest bakery in Birmingham at one time which can be judged from the fact that in 1949 the company operated a fleet of 71 delivery vans with carrying capacities from one ton to two tons.
The company also had large garage facility in Whitmore Road, Small Heath, where the vans were serviced, repaired and washed and re-fueled on a daily basis, the largest building extending through to Parliament Street, and still standing today. The last building to be built on this site was a drive-through automatic van washer, and this building still stands today converted into a small shop.
PA739

Hello Justin and welcome to Birmingham History Forum. I knew you’re your mom, dad, and sister from your days in Wilnecote, Tamworth.

I am sorry to hear of your mom. Your mom and dad were two lovely people, I was very fond of both of them, we had some great fun times.

You dad is godfather to one of my children.

Hello Justin and welcome to Birmingham History Forum. I knew you’re your mom, dad, and sister from your days in Wilnecote, Tamworth.

I am sorry to hear of your mom. Your mom and dad were two lovely people, I was very fond of both of them, we had some great fun times.

You dad is godfather to one of my children.
I am sure I will know you too I lived in Merganser until I was 18, if yo can message me your name if it is allowed and private of course. Dad is still going 89 now, Mom passed on the 30 December we have the funeral at Sutton Crematorium 10am 8th Feb.

Last edited:
I am sure I will know you too I lived in Merganser until I was 18, if yo can message me your name if it is allowed and private of course. Dad is still going 89 now, Mom passed on the 30 December we have the funeral at Sutton Chrematorium 10am 8th Feb.
Message sent

Hi
My late father worked in Quality Control and was made redundant too in 1983. His name was Sheikh A Hameed.
We grew up on cakes etc from Wimbush...what a life!
Hi there, I am new to the group but spotted this and had to say I knew your dad well he was one of the nicest men I ever met. He was always so smart and was very well respected by everybody who knew him there and it was a pleasure to have worked with him.

Does anyone remember Margaret Mimms? She worked there all her life.
I am sure I remember her if I know which department she worked in as I was a manager until the Bakery closed I could picture her. I knew a few Margrets at the Bakery but I can't remember all the surnames, but the departments I can.

I've been trying for some time to find info about Wimbush Bakery in Small heath.
In it's time it must have been one of the biggest bakeries in Brum but there doesn't seem to be anything at all on the web so I think my only hope of info is through former workers or their families,. Any info at all would be appreciated.
Jerry
I thought I would post these images to give people the general idea as to how the Bakery Began.

Attachments

• wimbush_history_opt.jpg
    wimbush_history_opt.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 19
  • wimbush_histoty_two_opt.jpg
    wimbush_histoty_two_opt.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 10985346_836521989727268_4853022853895996341_o.jpg
    10985346_836521989727268_4853022853895996341_o.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 315971013_1544726382621255_557106525092376989_n.jpg
    315971013_1544726382621255_557106525092376989_n.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 20
I thought I would post these images to give people the general idea as to how the Bakery Began.
Those loading bays are a familiar sight to me having often walked past to go to the library or catch the bus outside there when I was younger. There was always a very appetising smell too! We used the shop at the top of Green Lane when we moved to the Ideal Village.

Hi Justin, I enjoyed reading your post as you knew the real Danny and his wonderful character. I knew him from infant school days as he was a member of our "gang" and for all his health problems he never let them hold him back. I visited him in the old Yardley Sanitorium when we were both about 12 and although he was outside under a glass verandah in the middle of winter he kept me and his nurses in stiches.
Regards Acklam19.

Peter Prince and Linda Prince are my grandparents. So lovely to see all these comments.

Last edited:
Peter and Linda were like a second mum & dad to me, My dad and I wanted to pop and see Peter but we are unsure if he still lives in Primrose lane. I tried calling the old telephone number I remembered but maybe my memory is not as good as I thought. I am Guessing your Sharon and johns daughter ?

Hello all,

My grandad (Peter Prince) has been loving this Forum. Here are some photos that I hope take you all down memory lane.
I love the candles for the birthday cake 1d , Wimbush was always iconic with Small Heath as you walked up from the Vine you passed Butlers (Lucas) the swimming baths , library, and Wimbush’s onto the Coventry road.
Happy days

Hi All,
Only just come across this thread. What an absolutely fabulous read.
Our family shopped at Wimbush on Coleshill Street, Birmingham 4. We loved their cakes , they were all yummy but no one has mentioned the shortcake with the little bit of cherry on top!
What struck me most was how lovely everyone was. The stories told have been a pleasure to read. It must have been a great place to work. Obviously, some people spent their working life there. Lovely to read Justin's posts too.
It is sometime difficult to imagine peoples faces but #79 helped me out. Thank you.
Good to learn a bit of Wimbush history too.
Kind regards
Sue

Hi. Not sure if anyone out there remembers my father. He was a production manager there and lived and breathed Wimbush. His name was Matt King
Yes both my dad and I have fond memories of Kingy, He always used to nick me to work on the mixers in the bread on a friday when I was first at Wimbushes.

I found these pictures of Wimbush tokens , I assume they were exchanged for goods in the Wimbush shops ??

Source https://www.galata.co.uk/wimbush-bread-token-5d (accessed 19/3/2023 @ 08.00 am)
Yes Bread & Milk tokens were produced from the first world war to be sure people got the basics from the shops from shops in thier local areas. I have a co-op half pint of milk and a large loaf token, I have just bought that Wimbush's one from the link you put up as a momento, not seen one since my nan found one when I was about 6, 50 years ago. Great find might I add!

Hi All,
Only just come across this thread. What an absolutely fabulous read.
Our family shopped at Wimbush on Coleshill Street, Birmingham 4. We loved their cakes , they were all yummy but no one has mentioned the shortcake with the little bit of cherry on top!
What struck me most was how lovely everyone was. The stories told have been a pleasure to read. It must have been a great place to work. Obviously, some people spent their working life there. Lovely to read Justin's posts too.
It is sometime difficult to imagine peoples faces but #79 helped me out. Thank you.
Good to learn a bit of Wimbush history too.
Kind regards
Sue
Thanks Sue, Wimbush's was my life from a toddler until it closed it was a family with so many people and sometimes whole families working there. One family that springs to mind was the Cole family with Mom & Dad Brian & Mavis, Son & Daughter Gary & Mandy. Also there were so many long serving staff like Doreen Groves, I think when it closed as Three |Cook's she left as the longest serving staff member or maybe Joint longest with John Gillet who retired before we closed I think it was touching 50 years for both but could be wrong.

Last edited:
Back