• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wilton Street Lozells

Lyn, I've said before how much I appreciate the work you and other staff do.

I enjoy looking at other peoples interest it shows how the City changes over the years.

I think its positive if members can also have a little input.

Thank you
Nick Phillips
no need for thanks nick...without our members input we would not have a forum

lyn

That's jogged my memory. I remember Lozells Road and Burbury Street Park. My mother would take me with her to the laundromat on Lozells Rd to wash the sheets and put them in the large tumble dryer. Later on she bought a small Hoover washing machine with electric wringer. Must have still been an arduous job, not having a hot water service.

I was born at 107 Wilton Street in 1944 and my granny lived at the back of our house. Her name was Mrs Green and her neighbour was Mrs Hudson. I remember they shared an outside toilet. Our name was Whittington and we lived next door to Mrs Maskell across the entry. We move around 1950. A few years ago I tried to find Wilton Street only to find that it no longer exists. Time marches on and things change...... :)

My Great Grandmother lived at number 11 Wilton Street, Lozells. I'm trying to find her husband but to no avail... Does anybody have any info, we're talking circa 1939 but I'd love to find out who my great grandfather was as I assume he owned the property.

My Great Grandmother lived at number 11 Wilton Street, Lozells. I'm trying to find her husband but to no avail... Does anybody have any info, we're talking circa 1939 but I'd love to find out who my great grandfather was as I assume he owned the property.

What was the name of your great grandmother?

Ok, I see them there. Your nan was Iris, b1939, registered Liverpool?
Yes, story is they were due to move to Canada with the mysterious Great Grandfather and never made it due to the birth and thus ended back in Birmingham

It appears she wasn't at 11 Wilton St for long so I'd assume she was just lodging/boarding. And assuming her father is not listed on Iris's birth certificate then unfortunately it maybe impossible.

My mother was born in 1925 (still living) and moved to 1 back of 17 Wilton Street as a young child. She would definitely have been there in 1939 because I was born in 1948 and also lived in that house until my mother, stepfather and I moved to Great Barr when I was 10. Mum has some health issues but her memory is still pretty sharp! Will ask if she remembers a Harrison family. We now live in Melbourne, Australia.

It appears she wasn't at 11 Wilton St for long so I'd assume she was just lodging/boarding. And assuming her father is not listed on Iris's birth certificate then unfortunately it maybe impossible.
Thank you. It's been a task. Years of looking unfortunately... DNA etc but no luck. Thank you for your help :)

My mother was born in 1925 (still living) and moved to 1 back of 17 Wilton Street as a young child. She would definitely have been there in 1939 because I was born in 1948 and also lived in that house until my mother, stepfather and I moved to Great Barr when I was 10. Mum has some health issues but her memory is still pretty sharp! Will ask if she remembers a Harrison family. We now live in Melbourne, Australia.
Thank you so much! Glad to hear she's still going strong.

hi dale i have set up a new thread for you under our surname interests section...could you go to it and post your query there please and although it does seem a difficult mystery to solve someone maybe able to help...click on link below....lyn

I've merged two threads into this one covering Wilton Street. There may be earlier unseen posts. Viv

Thank you. It's been a task. Years of looking unfortunately... DNA etc but no luck. Thank you for your help :)
Yes, it's so frustrating! Mum's Grandmother (my G-Grandmother) was illigitimate. Her mother never married and had 3 other children. None of the 4 birth certificates show the father's name. Don't know if it's true but I was told the father could request that this information not to be recorded in such circumstances (Or maybe it was the mother's choice?) In my case there was a 10 year gap between the second and third child so there could have been two fathers! I spoke to Mum on the phone and will be seeing her on Saturday - maybe she'll remember something. Many years ago I printed off a list of residents in Wilton Street in 1920 (your GG would have been 5) It only shows surnames but there is a Harrison family at No. 93 - probably a long shot. I've just checked my file - the previous residents of 1/17 were actually Mum's Aunt and Uncle. They had both died by 1927, proving the time her family probably moved there. Story goes that all the Aunt and Uncle's furniture was left there and they never had children, plus it was a three-bedroom house. One last note - Mum often told me she and her sister were coming home from somewhere in 1939 on the day WW2 was declared. Just a bit of trivia. :) BTW - Mum's Maiden name is FLOWER

Babies could not be registered by unmarried mothers unless the father was present and agreed to it, often mothers gave their children the fathers surname as a second christian name which gave a clue to who he was.

Babies could not be registered by unmarried mothers unless the father was present and agreed to it, often mothers gave their children the fathers surname as a second christian name which gave a clue to who he was.
Thanks for the info. The father must have been present because on each of the 4 birth certificates the mother (Maria PARKES) was the informant and marked with her cross. Name of the father and occupation columns are blank. Births were registered between 1869 and 1886 in Oldbury (Worcestershire) and one of the Parkes children Betsy Ann was the mother of my grandmother Isabella JACKSON. She moved to Birmingham after marrying Edward FLOWER - Mum's father. Interestingly, when Betsy Ann married David Jackson her father is shown as Thomas Parkes - the same name as her uncle who would have been 45. He was single and staying in Yorkshire with relatives in 1881, and if still there couldn't attend the wedding, which enabled Betsy Ann to use his name.

I lived at 1/107 Wilton Street until late 1963. Back to back houses with outside toilets, no bathrooms, tin bath on the outside wall, one shared bath a week in the small scullery (water shared with my younger sisters). Weekly washing done by mum in a shared facility. Two bedrooms (2 younger sisters and me in one small bedroom), mum, dad and baby sister in the second bedroom. Started work a month before my 15th birthday. Still sharing bedroom when 16 years old! Anyone remember this shop just up from 107 or the Lambert twins who lived at 105? Or the Gunmaker arms where dad probably spent most of his time!

Attachments

• 001 (6)_Original.jpeg
    001 (6)_Original.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 5
Back