• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wilmot Breeden Limited

Your so right pipmk, when i worked for a Power Press repair firm in Birmingham we used to repair some of the power presses at Wilmot Breedon. Now we've got kids
leaving school who don't now HOW Cars, Washing Machines, Vacuum Cleaners and umpteen other appliances that were manufactured in Birmingham/ West Midlands.
I think we must blame ourselves for buying foreign imports as they were cheaper. Little realising we we putting our own manufacturing industry in jeopardy. Now all we've left them with is a degree in shelf stacking.
Don't fall into the trap of saying it was our own fault. By the time we were buying inports the boat had sailed, the Germans and Japanese factory owners had been investing in new plant for years, the Germans at least enjoyed higher wages and less hours than us. Birmingham had been the workshop of the world,engineering skill was in our DNA. It was the 7% who still own 84% of the wealth in this country who shat on us. Being born and brought up in Sutton Coldfield I would hear my friends fathers say to their sons "You'll start at the bottom and at lunch time we'll make you a Director" The first generation made it, the second consolidated it and the third wasted it because by then they thought it was their birthright. I know, I lived and worked with these people as they laid waste to British Industry and peoples lives.

Hi, I have found the various contributions and reminiscences in this thread very interesting; I am so glad this company and its people are not forgotten as they were one of many firms that lead the UK with innovation. I wrote a book a couple of years back on The Ferrograph Company , who were owned for a while by Wilmot Breedon , back in the 1960s & 1970s and I made a small mention of the firm in that. The Breedons were not solely confined to car parts and had interests elsewhere, mainly though in electronics. This first collimated in an interest in a firm called Wayne Kerr back in the late 1940s with David Breedon installed as a director. Wayne Kerr made high quality test and measurement equipment. Both brothers also invested in Ferrograph, as mentioned above, (High quality tape Recorders, Tape Decks and wireless components ) in the 1950s, eventually buying the firm outright (along with Rendar Components) in the late 1960s. It would appear that while the companies concerned all remained largely autonomous, there was an occasional cross over. For example there has been the odd story of small production runs of Wilmot Breedon car components undertaken in the Ferrograph factory (unconfirmed) and development work carried out for Wilmot Breedon by Wayne Kerr (confirmed). Does anyone remember this connection between the various concerns or have any stories to tell about the brothers? Wilmot Breedon finally sold off all these firms back in 1977 after heavy losses. None of the mentioned names now survive in British hands Accept Ferrograph whose name lives on in signage!
Terry Martini

I am sure there was a Wilmot Breeden in Cheltenham.
A firm called Telehoist was a branch of Wilmot Breeden.

am I right?

Hi Rowan

Yes you are. I believe Telehoist were involved in hydraulics. Also Wilmot Breedon had an office in Slough "Wilmot Breedon Electronics" along with the factory they had setup at Tewkesbury that made the professional tape recorders for Ferrograph. David Breedon seemed to be the one that had the most foresight with electronics and a lot of the buy ups happened during the 1960s as a result of his interests.

regards

Terry

Hi Everyone

Does anyone know any more details on these images. The owner knows they were fitted to a 1958 Denzel coachbuilt car and is looking for replacements. Could anyone tell us what the mainstream vehicle these would have been fitted too was?

4311505779_42bb30d298_b.jpg

Best regards

Jim

Hello

I work for the successors of Wilmot Breeden, however the manufacture/supply of these type of parts moved to Weston Body Hardware Ltd
I have had a look through their catalogue and they don't appear to list that reference (1/42319) but they do make some similar looking parts (eg 1/23805) and one may fit and function as a suitable replacement
You had best contact them direct, they are:-

Weston Body Hardware Ltd
Crossgate Rd
Park Farm
Redditch
B98 7SN
Ph 01527 516060
Fx 01527 526060

Hope this helps, I have not been able to identify the original fitment but I will add this if I come across it

They seem a lot like the one's fitted to my Dad's [later my] old Rover 75 (P4) of 1950 vintage and the P3 before. In those days a lot of the hardware like this was common across a number of cars with just for example the mounting being unique - by this I refer to the small part shown. I cannot put my hands on the manual just now but it is around so will take a look. I would also suggest looking at old Humber and Big Austins (Sheerline for instance).

hi other half
sorry i missed your previuos question in regarding jimmy kirby on the thread
yes it was indeed gentle jimmy kirby nice man nice family ive known them for donkeys years personallly sons and brothers and sister
i hope you and maggs are fine i am abit at the moment struggleing with one complaint or another but being a true grit brummy
and a kid from the old school io will pull through by the way when you was down working in dog pool lane stirchley
do you remember the kid whom lived across the rd down about 100 yards on the oppersite side whom worked in the yard
his mrs i forget her name i think she was a dark haired girl or auburn long has i recall i have not seen them in years
tom mary christmas to you both and a happy and prosperous and healthy new year to you both best wishes astonion

There was a Wilmot Breeden Truflo Ltd in Westwood Road Witton, who manufactured valves and pipes for the process and petrochemical industries together with fans for the motor industry and parts for aero engines. They also had factories in Bentham Gloucestershire and Liege Belgium.

Astonian, I remember Wilmot Breedon very well indeed. I used to walk by it going to Camden St school. We also had a school visit there to see how they made the car key's.

hi maggs
first of all how are you and tom fine i hope
yes they made the car keys there and i used to drink in the grotto next door every night of the week befoe going to the windmill
up the rest of the evening and having a laugh with old stan kirby and have him running up and down behind the bar
maggie , my olest sister went to camden street school that was a good school i have come across a book where there was a picture of
a group of school girls from camden street going to london and seeing the house of parlimernts
and lord and behold there was two girls having there picture taken in front of the houses of parliment with a councilor
my sister knew of this pic nor the book so i gave it to her this was about two years ago
would you remember a girl by the name of carol paget from brook field she lived around the corner on george street west she went there
but i surpose its a long time ago and i think half that area went there did nt day
i have got alot of invoices from willmots breedon and for there purchasing orders
well magg i have got to go now i hope top hear from you both soon but in the mean time take care
and have your self a merry christmas and a healthy new and prosperous new year to you both best wishes astonion alan

Hello Everyone. I have just discovered a site that has a relevant article you might be interested in. It relates to:
MARYBOROUGH DISTRICT​
ANTIQUE MOTOR CLUB INC.
located in Queensland, Australia (Yes, home of the FLOODS).
If you go onto the link (below), the result is a PDF format, and scroll to page 6, the article entitled "The Harmonic Bumper Bar".
Here is a description of an historic aspect of Wilmot Breeden production.
You may also be interested to know Wilmots had an office and distribution centre in Melbourne Victoria.
When I did my apprenticeship in 1958/63 I was introduced to one of Wilmot's Aussie Sales Team. (Name lone forgotten).
He actually met me when the ship (SS Fairsky) docked in Melbourne in October '63.
Hope you find this interesting.

https://www.maryboroughvintage.com/2010_march_maryb_vint_news.pdf

OldBrummie

HI THERE
Doe,s Any=body Recall Wilmott Breedon Of Camden Street
Hockley Spring hill Did Any body Work There
I Used To Lve In King edwards Rd Just Up The Road By The Kirby Gang
Wilmotts and Breedon Had Afew Factory,s Around Brum
They Had One Next To The Ice Rink At Spring Hill And They Had One In Cheston Rd Aston Off Rocky Lane
I Have Got AN Invoice Addressed To R,H Burman Ltd Avon Works
Tyburn Rd Bham 24, FOR Reqeusting Payment For Materials Supplied
I Have Down Loaded The Copy On The Thread If Any-body Wants To See It
Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

I think my nan used to work there, and my uncle too for a time. Their last name is Moseley.

hi virusman, I worked in the toolroom for nine years from 1964. The toolmakers their were: Norman King, alf Collins, Pat Barker, Ron Hooper, Alf Chapman, Les Hayden, Lester Phillips, Paul Humphries, Billy Briden, Leo Jones, Reg Cosgrove, Barry Jackson, Eric hollis and me Cliff Henry. If you need any further info you can contact me by IM

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dave, Bill Moore worked in the toolroom at fordhouse Lane. He was my uncle.Contact me by PM if you need any further info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I worked in the toolroom from 1963 to 71so befor the time you need, but the toolmakers I remember were Alf Collins, Alf Chapman, Reg Cosgrove, Leo Jones, Billy Briden, Les Hayden, Ron Hooper, Norman King, and me Cliff Henry. If you want any memories let me know, Ive got plenty.

Back