• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wilmot Breeden Limited

Glenys, I don't know if you are still a member of the forum and I've just come across your post. My Dad was also a bumper polisher at WB in Amington Rd and I too used to visit the lake at the sports ground with him. Caught my first carp in that pool. Before he retired due to ill health, my grandad also worked there and I can remember my dad taking me to see him at work one Saturday morning (I was about 4 or 5 yrs old) and I was astounded by the noise and the sparks he produced polishing the heavy castings. At gran's house were several chromium ashtrays with a chrome metal bird attached. I later found out that were car mascots (Possibly Wolsey) and someone in the factory had the bright idea of fixing them to a cheap metal ashtray and sell them on.
Seems it was an unhealthy place to work. Glenys's dad died at 52, your dad retired with ill health. I remember they were investing heavily in automatic polishing machines in the 1960's to distant the polishers from the worst of the dust.

Seems it was an unhealthy place to work. Glenys's dad died at 52, your dad retired with ill health. I remember they were investing heavily in automatic polishing machines in the 1960's to distant the polishers from the worst of the dust.
Yes my grandad suffered with breathing problems no doubt brought about by bad working conditions and also by smoking at least 30 cigarettes a day.

I worked at Wilmot Breeden for some eleven years, until 1970. I never worked in Bumper division, but I thought your father may have known Frank Tye who was a manager in that division.

Hiya, I will check with my dad this evening to see if he remembers Frank, my dad's speech is limited after his stroke, so we communicate on a basic level nowadays. He too used to cycle to work at 5am in the morning and did nightshifts (pretty remarkable work ethic if you ask me, I was only 5-6 years of age then but still remember him sorting out his flask and sandwiches. We used to live in Waverley Rd in Small Heath not far from the factory.

Hi , New to the site , just wondering if anyone remembers the Burrows family ?, at one time 7 of themselves at Wilmots.I know that Ron ( my dad) worked in maintenance at amington and fordhouse .

My mom worked at wilmott breedan she won a beauty contest bk then in 1964 for miss wilmott breedan her name was Patricia Barrett bk then.

Hi , New to the site , just wondering if anyone remembers the Burrows family ?, at one time 7 of themselves at Wilmots.I know that Ron ( my dad) worked in maintenance at amington and fordhouse .
As an apprentice I played cricket for the maintenance team, so I knew quite a few of the guys in that department. I also worked both at Amington Rd and at Fordhouse Lane, the name Ron Burrows sounds familiar was he a millwright? A couple of names I do recall are Ron Simper, Bill Chadwick and Jimmy Catley.

Hi Jim , remember the names Ron Simper and Billy Chadwick, simper was head of electrical in maintenance, I think and dad was over the pipe fitters , until he left in 1981. You may also remember Bill Burrows who was in maintenance at Amington. They both had many happy memories of There times there , Dad started in 43 and was made redundant in 81.

As an apprentice I played cricket for the maintenance team, so I knew quite a few of the guys in that department. I also worked both at Amington Rd and at Fordhouse Lane, the name Ron Burrows sounds familiar was he a millwright? A couple of names I do recall are Ron Simper, Bill Chadwick and Jimmy Catley.
jimmy was a good footballer we had a great side 1960 1964

jimmy was a good cricket player

Hi
I wonder if anyone can offer any assistance to me. I am looking to find out who worked at the Tysley site back in 1966. My mother in law Dorothy Evans worked there at the time. I don’t know if there would of been employees listed anywhere ?? This would be of great help if anyone can offer assistance.

Last edited:
Hi
I wonder if anyone can offer any assistance to me. I am looking to find out who worked at the Tysley site back in 1966. My mother in law Dorothy Evans worked there at the time. I don’t know if there would of been employees listed anywhere ?? This would be of great help if anyone can offer assistance.
Back in 1966 WB had several sites in the Tyseley area, Amington Rd., Farringdon, Rushey Lane, Kings Rd. I'm afraid I don't know of any listing of employees.

Hi
Hi do you know which factory she worked in (Amington road Kings Road etc) ?

Back in 1966 WB had several sites in the Tyseley area, Amington Rd., Farringdon, Rushey Lane, Kings Rd. I'm afraid I don't know of any listing of employees.
Hi thank you for replying, it was the Amington Rd site, she worked at.

Back