• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wills Street

NoelleO 64

master brummie
A close up view of the houses in Hall Road as they were in 1937. The back gardens had a lot of trees in those days. All those house are now gone and replaced by different houses.
View attachment 147691
Ours is the top row last building on the left tree were two simis istogeather I lived in the one on the right from Jan 1960 to 1978 or 9. The first house on the right with the tall chimney was a doctor's though not ours the land Lords name was pat Kilby , long gone now rip he owned both the simis. And the next house which ran the other way along side ours, no85 hampstead rd still there I belive

Mr Mojo Risin

Ah , brings back memories , the building Lyn( In Post 9 )was i think owned by Frank Elvins , they were builders or the like, next door was a house that when i was a kid ,in the 50s / 60s ,sold Honey , which reminds me that once a bloke walked along Wills st with a great big BEAR on a chain ???:)
True I had a fight with that bear! In the passageway of "The Waterloo"

NoelleO 64

master brummie
Ours is the top row last building on the left tree were two simis istogeather I lived in the one on the right from Jan 1960 to 1978 or 9. The first house on the right with the tall chimney was a doctor's though not ours the land Lords name was pat Kilby , long gone now rip he owned both the simis. And the next house which ran the other way along side ours, no85 hampstead rd still there I belive
You Menston trees the was a very very tall sycamore tree in our garden .I remember at night you could see and hear an owl most nights in it. Big silloett of it in the night sky

NoelleO 64

master brummie
Sorry correcting myself that one is not there either. (No85).

oldbeekeeper

Brummie babby
what memories you have please keep them coming about the shelters paul...strange thing is i was going to ask you if you remember any of the bombings in that area...there was a bombing in brougham st of the convents training school in which 1 nun died also in villa st southalls factory was bombed with the loss of 1 life.. do you recall or have any info on the bath tavern pub in brougham st?..a friend lived at no 20 brougham st and at the back of his house were piles of bricks and rubble from demolished or bomb damaged back houses..so would you have any knowledge of a bomb dropping at the back of no 20 which was close to the top of brougham st...sorry for all the questions but its great to find someone with such a good memory of the old end. my condolences on the loss of your brother...

lyn
Sorry for delay, I have had a difficult time lately. Starting at Wills Street end there was a small bomb on the right hand side, it damaged some garages belonging to the houses on Hunters road. The bomb map and others will be available at the central library'''''''''''good luck.

oldbeekeeper

Brummie babby
Hi Paul,

Just caught up with your post re: Wills street & noticed the name O'Locklin, if it's the same man (not a common name) he & his wife used to live in Church Street and they were both avid gardeners. Their garden used to run adjacent to my Nan's who lived in Wills Street. Their next door neighbours were a family named Poole (sons served in the Royal Navy).

Lozellian.
I recall several O,Locklins during the 30s and 40s, in Church Street/ Hunters Road, are these of any interest.