• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Willing Shilling Week

cba

master brummie
Does anyone remember this fundraising week we did when we were Brownies in the 1950s? It was meant to be the Girls version of Bob a Job. I am not sure it would be an appropriate name these days!

Yes i most certaily do ,I was in the boys brigade at Dyson hall along with my two older brothers
Whom was in the Ist Company of the boys brigade and when the scouts first started it off
So did the rest of brigade followed and coppied i our friends up the same terrace
Was in the scouts at the hall as well oldest brother was lead drummer second eldest was the bugle
Our friend was flag bearer and terry was also lead bugle player
Good old days no mugging in those days ,
Best wishes Astonian,,,,

I don't remember the female version of Bob a Job but when I was in the Guides we had 'Thinking Day'. Trouble is I can't remember what it was all about apart from wearing my uniform to school.

I was in the Brownies in the very late 50's until about 62 but I can't remember doing anything like that (I'm glad to say ;-D ).
I just remember the Scouts Bob a Job week.

I don't remember the female version of Bob a Job but when I was in the Guides we had 'Thinking Day'. Trouble is I can't remember what it was all about apart from wearing my uniform to school.
It celebrated the birthday of Lord Baden Powell (the founder) and his wife who shared the same date (22nd February). You were meant to think about Brownies and Guides around the world.

Willing shilling week was between May 6th and May 16th(a week ?) in 1953.
Wonder if it was linked to the coronation or if it was an annual event? I certainly do not remember it from when I joined Brownies in 1959 until I retired as a Brown Owl ...... years later!!

I was involved in the week during 1958 or 1959. I was in the Brownies attached to Holy Trinity R C church in Sutton Coldfield. I went to St Josephs RC primary school.
I remember spending a hot day clearing stones from someone's garden ready for them to lay a lawn. It was a very hot day but I think it might have been the Easter Holidays. I know I was only given a shilling for the day's work and My Mum was really cross at how dirty my Brownie uniform had got.
Carolann

I was a Brownie and Girl Guide in Derby with St Thomas's and met Lady Baden Powell at Chatsworth when in the Guides. I remember calling it Purpose Day when trying to get funds, like Bob a Job. Brothers were all Boy Scouts and in the Slipstreams. I now live in Australia and started a Brownie Pack here in Western Australia many years ago, for 25 years as Brown Owl, Sister was Tawny Owl and a friend Snowy Owl. Great times. Now in my Mid 70s but now concentrate coaching Little Athletics.

Back