• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Williams family in Aston 1900 through to 50's

D

Doctor Keo

Hi,
I'm researching the Williams family - Many of the family are connected with Aston through the first 50 years of 1900's - My first connection I have is 1904 to 1916 8/20 Whitehead street, Aston, with George Williams and Elizabeth had 10 children Charles,George, Allan, Elizabeth, Harold, Maud, Doris, Joan Albert & Horace Then moved to 4/110 Park Lane Aston. George & Elizabeth later moved to Erdington but some of the family lived in the area. I know that Harold & George lived in Tower Road when married.

Also connected with the Williams family are Chambers, Priest, Nicholson. Heeks, Cutler, Brookes, Potts, Morgan, Gouer & Hobbs.

Thanks 8)

Anthony Williams

Welcome Doctor KO sorry I missed you first time around stick with this site and you will be rewarded enjoy O0

Welcome Anthony :)

I can't help with your Williams family. But if you are looking for information furher back you will find help I'm sure.

we had Williams living in Parliament street number 3 Barry, Margie can't remember the other names Margie had to wear leg irons can find out more if needed

I went to school with a Margaret Williams who lived in either Tower Road or Clifton Road, she would be about 68/69 years old now.

Hi, thanks for the info. The only Margaret Williams (Now 80) I have was born 1925, daughter of Charles Williams - Your Margaret must be another. From my searches I've located other Williams family in the area but as yet can't link any of them.

Thank again - Anthony Williams

Hi Anthony, somewhere on the main site is an article submitted by Dorothy Dodson, accompanied by photos of herself, Margaret and her parents on holiday sometime in the early 1950s, if you could find it, you may be able to see if they resemble other family members.

I went to school with a lad called John Williams. His grandad was a Brookes I believe. Mr Brookes lived in Phillips Street Aston, with Johns uncle called Robert. The Williams lived in Webster Street just around the corner. I have occasional contact via email with him.

i was married to a girl many years ago her named was jeanette williams, her father was charlie williams , whom his a ripe old age , and he had relatives all around aston , and i am pretty certain she had an aunt y margret and they was all from aston and relations around sandy lane . vine st wainright st , aston area , charlie his still alive and lives in erdinton , b,ham 24 .

A friend of mine called Anthony Williams was born in Aston but now lives in Tamworth,funny we were only talking about family tree's on Saturday evening Tony as we call him is 63.

Maybe a connection???

I am about to update my research interests as I now have links to Williams - Laura married and Albert Alexander Stocker and I am still working on this line - may be of interest to some researchers - will update my research interests as soon as I get answers from others etc..

I am researching some lines with people in 4 different countries Aus, Canada, Africa and New Zealand - so may take a while to get answers I need :0)

Williams, Priest, Phillips, Wilding, Burlton

Hello:
My Grandmother was Laura Jane Williams and she married my Grandfather, Henry Peter Stedman Burlton in Aston, in 1882.

Birth Certificate of my Grandmother
Laura Jane WILLIAMS

Born: July 15th, 1865

St. Peter Birmingham

Father: William WILLIAMS

Mother: Margaret WILLIAMS nee PHILLIPS

Marriage Certificate of my Great-Grandparents:

October 9th, 1864

Parish Church, Parish of Bishop Rider, Birmingham

Margaret PHILLIPS (33)

William WILLIAMS (21)

Res. Duke Street

Father of William: John WILLIAMS

Father of Margaret: Richard PHILLIPS

Witnesses: William WILKINSON and Matilda S.A. BETTS

Birth certificate of William Williams

William Williams

June 7th, 1843

Holmer, Burghill, Hereford

Mother: Ann WILLIAMS nee WILDING

Father: John WILLIAMS

---------------------------
PRIEST
My Uncle, Charles Burlton, B. Aston,  married MinnieWingfield in 1919 in Eccleshall, Bierlow, Yorks and they had a daughter, DOREEN BURLTON , b 1924 who married a DERRICK PRIEST, in 1951 in Rotherham. They had 2 children DAVID PRIEST and LINDA PRIEST. 
  Doreen passed away and Derrick remarried and I cannot locate any information on the children David or Linda Priest.

Just wondering if there was any connection.
Thank you
Isobel Burlton-Wells
(father George Frederick Burlton, b1895 - Aston) :)

Hiya Isobel,

The Laura I have in my Tree is - Laura May Williams - she married Albert Alexander Stocker B'ham North RD 2nd qtr 1926. Laura was born 3rd May 1903.

I am afraid I don't know much more than this at the moment and the "May" was taken from probate papers - not a birth certificate - so it could be different?
I will post back again as I find more information on these people as I still have this family to research and update.

Sorry that's not very much help - but it's what I know for now - hope that helps for now.

Hi There Anthony, I,m researching Wiliams, Baldwin, Parkes, Spencer, most of these names were situated in Aston, My mother was born in Richards st.my Grandparents lived in Cardigan St in 1901

Hi ,

My williams lineage is from Alma street with Williams James who married and had Tommy, Billy, Maud then remarried and had My Pop Leonard (1925) I am finding it inordinately difficult to track birth records for my dad let alone further back. If you have any williams information I would be be very grateful

I am using ancestry.co.uk which is a great site and have got to the 1800 with the other side of our family the gascoignes

more williams family

Hi Doc

my family are william james williams married to Kathleen kelly living in Alma St Aston from 1900 til late 1950s.

have you found these in your search . I'm having a devil of a job .

My Grandparent's were... Alice & Lewis Williams.
and they lived in Lozells up till 1946, Iam not sure but I think
my Gt grandfather was a William Williams from either Bangor,or Lancs,a lot of Williams's makes it very confusing

Hi everybody - first time so please bear with me.

My grandmother, Beatrice Alice Williams, was born in Aston 1880. Father Henry Williams born London, Occ Hatters Assistant. Mother Eliza Williams also born London. Other childen Fred, Emily and Eliza. Address in 1881 census: 4 Bk 35 Conybere Street.

By co-incidence (if you believe in them) my maiden name is Brookes.

Haven't found them after this. Grandma married in Rotherham in 1905.

Any help welcomed.

Helen Hewins

hi im new to all this , im looking for anyone who knows the Williams family my great grand parents Charles and Elizabeth Williams had 3 daughters edna .... dessie and ivy and 1 son who was disabled named charlie , i know the charles and elizabeth dies in 1923-1927 they was from aston birmingham , my great grand father had a gun carriage funneral and is buried in witton cemotary , birmingham , if anyone knows the names williams or price as 1 of there daughters edna married and had 3 children please get intouch
thank you for taking time reading this ,
regards

hi
just reading through your threads again i previuosly said that a charlie williams
was at one time a father in law to meand reading other tit bits of names
of the family i did know there was a big family through out aston and king standing
and i also knew there was two alices one they called old and there was he young alice the daughter from alma street and this charlie had been married before
so he was the ex wifes father was a step father [ charlie [ married a lady by the name of daisy whom was the ex mother so this charlie is from the big family of aston
i know one of the eldest daughters is living in king heath now by the red lion
charlies oldest daughter has kept charlies house on in wryley birch way erdington
these kids was brought up in erdinton ho yes there was an aunty margret
i will try and see irene and asked her for info;;on the family history
best wishes astonian ;;;;;

My wife's family are Williams' from Victoria Road, Aston. They used to live opposite the swimming baths near the butchers. Her grandfather was Clarence but can't think of her grandmother's name. Barb's dad Albert was one of their eldest children, born June 9th 1920. They had 7 - Charles, George, Albert, Leslie, Joyce, Elsie and Ken. Elsie and Ken are still alive. Ken swam for GB at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics. Hope this is helpful to someone.

Last edited:
Hi im hoping someone may read this and have any clues or may no someone from here , im looking for the williams family , my great grandparents ( charles and elizabeth williams ) from aston ( trinnity road ) they had 7 children named dessie... charles...ivy...edna...auther...lydia and ada , ive been told ada had a fish and chip shop and dessie had the local corner shop , i know ivy had 2 sons named roy and dave !!
dessie also had 2 sons ,( unknown of there names ) edna had 4 children (john...sonny..cynthia and kieth ) if some one could help me or knew of them please contact me i would be so greatfull ,
thank you for taking the time reading this message ,
regards jane

Hi,

Don't know if this is relevant to you but I lived at 7 Parliament Street, Aston up until 1957 and there was an Ada, Lydia, Marjorie and Barry Williams living at No. 3.

My mum who will be 89 this year is desperate to contact any of the Williams' from No. 3 but I have had no luck so far, although I have been told that their brother Barry moved to Leicester.

Hope this helps,

John

Hi dave
i remember ken he was a real gentleman
and when he swam in the games we was at 47 and 309 victoria rd
i used to speak to him quite often a very nice guy
have your self a nice day best wshes astonia ;;;;;;;

Hi, not sure if this is any connection - I am looking for the familhy of Charlie Williams married to Sarah Webb/Tovey? They had at least 2 daughters Ellen and May. They moved to Australia approx. 1920.
Ellen married Arthur Astley before leaving Birmingham. I don't know where in Birmingham they lived. We live in Australia and do not have ready access to our family background in England.
JAT

Hi astley
i hve just com acros your thread again regarding the williams family
the more i read on it i am sure the charlie you mentioned is the right charlie williams,s daughter i married many years ago
from time to time i still see his second oldest daughter in birmingham as i have got a son by the daughter of charlie williams
they have a auntby the name of alice she used to live in wainwright st aston during the p[eriod you have mentioned i was born on the same block incidently
as wain wright st and knew most people of the street alice and the family moved to alma st aston during the sixties
as i recall from those days as you say they all grew up in aston charlie died afew ears ago he worked at the gec all his life witton
he lost his wife many years ago and she used to work for the midland red bus corporation all her life
his oldest daughter whom lived in london came to brum quite afew years ago to look after him when his wife died and she never went back
to london and she now lives in charlies house in wryley way erdington birmingham she her self now is getting on in life i also knew her when she was young
we used to visit her in london many years ago ;
i also remember a ken williamswhom was the swimmer for gb he used to work for the employment services he lived on victoria rd
we moved into his house after he moved out
but getting back to charlie williams alice was related to him so i am pretty sure this is your relative they are all from aston and they all lived close
together around aston less than a mile apart
i will speak to the daughter soon and let you know the out come you can e,mail me and i wil let you know the info ; off line
have a good day best wishes astonion ;;;

Thank you, Astonian
We know nothing of the family in England. All we know is that Charlie, his wife Sarah their two daughters Ellen and May all came to Australia. Ellen was already married to Arthur William Astley and had one son, Leslie Charles (born Birmingham). My father says they never mentioned anything about family in England or their life before they came to Australia. They lived in Berala (Sydney) for a while, then all moved to Tahmoor, NSW where most of them stayed.
Ellen and Arthur were my fathers' parents and he remembers his grandfather Charlie who had a nasty accident with a cow horn and lost his eye. No medical help nearby as they lived in the country.

Hi anyone, I am part of the Williams family, my grandad is Charlie my Nan Daisy, he grew up in Aston he and Daisy had 7 children, Sheila, Irene, Patricia, violet, Janette, Gary and John, my mum is Patricia Williams, I’m looking for the Williams family too any news would be most appreciated, also glad to answer questions.

Hi Does anyone have any memory of a family who lived in Tower Road. They moved several times over the years but ended up at 6 back of 87 They were there in Tower Road 1939 and they were still there in 1965. Harold & Annie Williams nee Priest. Harold seems to have been a bit of a lad , borrowing money and not paying it back. I know that they had 2 daughters Jean born 1932 & Doreen born 1938. Family stories say that there was another daughter possibly called Betty? but there is no record of her anywhere. Jean married a man called Geoffery Giles and they went to America. Doreen / Betty may have followed them and its possible that she had a child in America whom she gave up for adoption. Any information on the family would really be appreciated. Did anyone live near them and hear any gossip?

Jean, Geoffrey and son, Stephen Geoffrey are listed as living in Largo, Florida amongst other places.

There is a birth for a Pamela A Williams, mmn Priest registered Dec qtr 1951 Bham. Could just be a coincidence though.

Back