• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

william withey in from the cold

zena58

master brummie
searching for members of my family. i found that my great aunt Lily H Holmes married this man. who was killed in WW1.
i found him on the roll of honor and his service records, but couldnt find him on the cwgc.
i was pointed in the direction of the IN FROM THE COLD project and after quite a wait he has been accepted by the cwgc and will be given his place on the Ypres Menin Gate memorial
100 YEARS LATE but better late than never R.I.P William
sort of a happy ending
zena

This is good news zena.!
(I have sent you a message to confirm the other query, but I had an error message so I hope you got it.)
rosie.

Zena, not sure if you know but Lily H Holmes was the sister of Henry James Holmes whose name is on the GPO memorial plaque that Astoness rescued.
lynne.

hello zena you may find these 2 threads of interest as lynne webb pointed out henry james holmes who was your gt uncle is one of the 7 postal workers who died in ww1 and the plaque that was rescued which has his name on is going to the the national memorial arburetum in alrewas...i am just in the middle of making arrangemenst for the re dedication service for the 7 men that will shortly be taking place at the arburetum and of course yourself and any rellies are most welcome to attend..thanks to the evening mail article some time back rellies of albert sharp and cornelius neal have come forward and they will also be attending the service..

lyn

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=43365

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=43387

Last edited:
OH MY GOD
that is so great
the tears are welling up in my eyes as i type
i just cant believe it
yes i would love to come work permitting
but if i cant come to the re-dedication i will come later i live just down the road at tamworth
and i know my mom and dad would love to come
its moms uncle or would have been if he'd have lived
she didnt know about him until i started to do my tree
thank you so much for getting in touch
i'm chuffed to bits
zena x

zena if you go to the first link i posted there is a photo of the marble plaque with henrys name on it and also the story of how it came to be saved over 40 years ago if you keep an eye on that thread that is where i am posting updates and info about the re dedication service...not sure if you know this but henrys brother frederick died in france shortly after henry...so very sad...really hope that yourself and or any members of your family can make it...men like this should never be forgotton for laying their lives down for this country..

lyn

yes thanks lyn
i have all the information i have pieced it together ver a few years
birth and death certificates hall of memory entry will cemetery mapfor henry
and the same for frederick but no will
my uncle was named after frederick
i will digest all of the threads befor passing on the info to my mom

will it be ok to print of a copy of the photo for my records please

thank you all again
all thanks to william coming in from the cold ha ha

ahh thats good zena..no problems at all about printing off a copy of the plaque until a couple of weeks back when it was collected by the royal mail and taken to alrewas it was stashed safely behind my settee for weeks lol..many thanks to lynne webb who spotted this thread and recoginised the name holmes...oh also on the first link there should be a photo of the evenings mails article..

all the best

lyn

ok lyn
will wait for the info on the rededication
p.s.
i think he still lived with his parents at 295 bolton road
zena x

ok zena..actually i was thinking that we could swap tel numbers via private message that way if you dont get onto the forum often i can let you know when the service is...will message you now before i forget..

Back