• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William Vernall: Marriage look-up.

C

ciremahxolb

Could someone please do a marriage look-up for me?
William Vernall married a Harriet Hopcott (or similar) on 3 November 1858 at St Martins. I would like to know 1) their ages; 2) his occupation; 3) his father's name and occupation.

William appears to have married 4 times!!!. I have a copy of the certificate for his third marriage in Ledbury in 1840, which gives his occupation as "butcher". At the baptisms of his children from his first 2 marriages his occupation is given as "labourer" or "thatcher" and in all the censuses from 1841 to 1871 he is a "relieving officer, and he is listed in one of the directories as relieving officer. He appears to have travelled from Bromyard in Herefordshire for this marriage. I'm reasonably sure all these are for the same person, so am rather confused by his frequent changes of occupation.

thank you

Eric

Hi Eric.

On"FreeBMD" there is a marriage for a william Vernall, on the same page is a Harriet Hofcett. The details are;

Marriages Dec Qtr. 1858.

Birmingham 6d 129.

The certificate will give you the detail you ask for.

barrie

William Vernalls wife Harriet is shown as born Humber in the 1861 and on the 1851
Harriet Hopcott wife of John Hopcott an innkeeper,Leominster is the right age b. Humber this couple are on the 1841 when John Hopcott is a farmer.
People did tend to change occupations quite a bit and also have 2 jobs on the go.
My husbands family had a Brasscaster/Innkeeper.

John Hopcott died in 2nd qtr of 1858 registered Bromyard.
John Hopcott married Harriet Hayward 22nd February 1827 Leominster.

Hello and welcome Eric

Marriage 3 Nov 1858 both of full age
William Vernall, widower, occupation Railway Officer, abode Vaughton Street, father John Vernall occupation Farmer.
Harriet Hopcott, widow, abode Vaughton Street, Father James Haywood occupation Farmer. Witnesses William Knight and Harriet Partridge.

Vernall: Marriage look-up

Hi Barrie, Alberta and Moma P
I wish I could say a big thank you for solving my problem :smile: But!!!!!
I now have a 5th occupation!!!!! to go with his 4th wife!!!! and he is still shy about his age AND for the second marriage running he (they) use an address of convenience.!!!!!!!!!! At least, he still gives his father as John Vernall, farmer.
I am waiting for Herefordshire Records Office to look up the parish register for his marriage to Elizabeth Wadly. The copy of the marriage licence I got says butcher and I'm think it should be thatcher!!!!

I think his occupation on the marriage in St Martins should be "relieving officer" but whether this was a mistake in the parish register or a transcription error I don't know.I suppose if it was my hand writing someone could read relieving as railway!!; or perhaps I could be wrong and he did work on the railway!!!!.

but to be serious I do thank you for your replies.

best wishes
Eric

Eric after reading your post I had another look at the register to check. Its definatley Railway Officer not a transcription error. I have copies of the originals. The righting is very clear and William and Harriet both signed the register themselves.

Vernall: marriage look-up

Hi Moma,
Thanks for the recheck. I can only think that William came from deepest Herefordshire and that whoever made the entry in the parish register didn't understand the Herefordshire accent!!!!!! or perhaps he had a speech impediment. There could have been a similar problem with his previous marriage. I'm waiting to see what Herefordshire Records Office come up with for his earlier marriage in Ledbury. As I said before he is down as a "relieving officer" in the censuses from 1841 up to his death and also on his son's marriage cert. and in Kelly's 1858 directory.

Thanks again for your interest. If I get to the bottom of this I will let you know!!!!!!

Eric

William Vernall: marriage look-up

I have had a reply from Hereford Records Office re William's previous marriage to an Elizabeth Wadly at Ledbury. In the parish register his occupation is given as "butcher", as on the copy of the certificate, and yet only a couple of weeks later in the 1841 census he is a relieving officer.

I think he must have been a joker and knew what trouble he was going to cause 165 years later!!!

regards to all
Eric

Back