• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

William Tranter, gunmaker

In the Birmingham Daily Post on the 9th December 1893 there is a Preliminary Advertisement for the auction of The Shrubberies - the same advert also appears on the 16th December.
On the 20th January 1894 there is an advert for the auction of the Shrubberies to be held on the 25th January 1894
However on the 26th January 1894 there is an article reporting The Shrubberies was withdrawn from the auction as no bids were received.

Attachments

• shrubberies_9_dec_1893.JPG
    shrubberies_9_dec_1893.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 14
  • shrubberies_Saturday2C_January_202C_1894.JPG
    shrubberies_Saturday2C_January_202C_1894.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 11
  • shrubberies_Friday2C_January_262C_1894.JPG
    shrubberies_Friday2C_January_262C_1894.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 11
Birmingham Daily Post
on Saturday 25th August 1894 there is another advert for the auction of The Shrubberies to be held on the 29th August 1894
on Thursday 30th August 1894 there is an article stating that The Shrubberies was withdrawn from the auction at £1,600.00

Perhaps value of the will was changed in October 1894 because the property did not sell until then or the value of the property was not as they thought.
At the moment I can't find any further adverts or articles about the Shrubberies.

Attachments

• shrubberies_Saturday2C_August_252C_1894.JPG
    shrubberies_Saturday2C_August_252C_1894.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 8
  • shrubberies_Thursday2C_August_302C_1894.JPG
    shrubberies_Thursday2C_August_302C_1894.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 7
Although it is stated on the memorial that William's abode was the Shrubberies, and the trustees stated that he owned the house, I am not quite sure how much of a home it was to him. The house, under that name at least, does not seem to be listed in Kellys in 1884. But is listed in rhe 1888, 1890, 1892 and 1895 Kellys, with the head of the house given in each case as Thomas Tranter junior. Kellys actually calls it "The Shrubbery", but it is The Shrubberies on maps on which it is named.
The position of the house is shown in red on the c 1889 map below.

map_c_1889A_showing_The_Shrubbery_gravelly_lane.jpg

Mike, that must be why I can"t another mention of The Shrubberies for sale in the papers - perhaps Thomas inherited it from William in 1893, tried to sell it and then kept it instead??? William was only 31 when he died so I wonder what relation Thomas was to William.

Polly. To make it more peculiar, and going back a bit on what I said about whether it was his home, the 1891 census lists only William G Tranter and 4 servants. Going back to 1881 he seems to be named william J. tranter, 19, son (but no father present) gun & pistol manufacturer at 318 summer Lane, with 31 year and sarah Hatton as gents servant.
Thomas is listed as at the Shrubbery in Kellys till the 1896 edition, but by the 1897 one it is Thomas Smith

mike i am finding this thread interesting great work by you and polly..wonder if you could post a map showing where 318 summer lane was please...its just out of interest

thanks mike

lyn

Lyn
Map is below. Brearley st and tower st labelled in blue. No 318 in red. Looks like quite a large house in the centre of a terrace of smaller houses. Now I think it is a car park behind a rather ugly office building next to "Little hippos nursery".

map_c_1889_summer_lane_showing_no_318.jpg

Hi Janice
I wonder if William G Tranter perhaps left "The Shrubberies" and his estate in his will to the family, but the will was challenged by the two victuallers because they were owed monies, for goods purchased over the years (secret drinker perhaps)
I have never heard of the Kelly's directories, I will look it up, if I could find some documents about his will and the granting of probate it might lead me to who in the family was involved.

Michael

For completeness, the Tranter gun factory was at Aston Cross, shown in red on the c 1890 map below

map_c_1890_aston_cross_showing_Tranter_gun_factory.jpg

mike thanks for the map...i think 318 summer lane was where the birmingham settlement was

lyn

Last edited:
Hi mike
Yes again many thanks for the old map you have produced for us all
I have been studying the map as close as I can
Going by going on the map of Portland street and coming out of it as its printed ,it never really altered as you come out of it it curves onto the Lichfield rd
May I had there was an horse trough there in the middle of the road as there from up until the mid fifties before removing it
But getting back on track coming along the Lichfield rd or possibly called Lichfield street in those days
It looked like as I recall it never really changed for years until you come to Aston cross,
But when you come out of Portland street and you come to Catherine street go down Catherine street on your map you see the wording foundry
Well that foundry was there for decades right up to the late fifties as I recall it as a nipper I had relatives down there and school friends
The sutherns and the Jones,family but any way getting back on track
Is it possible that the Hercules bike factory was the old gun factory as its close to the Aston cross gates as it was in those days
Also is it possible that the Vulcan brewers became ansels brewers and looking at the map being so close on the map
Showing the boys and girls school behind them that the other old company was the midland vinegar brewer
Which later became the famous h,p sauce factory now I know from many years ago that there was a foot ball pitch on
The Aston cross gates before the villains took over Aston villa and moved and built as we all know about them
I do not know whom was playing in those days but the great Jon Dixon worked for my an esters out of season along with his brother
Whom used to drive for them around there business in the early 1900 s so would this have been on the rocky lane ,or park lane section
Or could have been around the clock tower area
I believe our dear old friend and resident forum member and my dear old friend Alf used to play foot ball in his younger days for a foot ball team in or of summer lane
As he once told me some years back I wonder if he would recall this foot ball pitch himself
Incidently does any body ever here from Alf and family how is he keeping these days as we never hear from him any more I hope he is well and possible
Keeps an eye on us mike if you could confirm any of this requested info about the map best wishes astonian,,,Alan,,

Alan
The works became a rubber tyre works, but later the site was part of the Brittania Cycle works, as you suggested. Teh vulcan brewery was taken over by M&B, who then sold the site to Gartons, so it became part of HP

Lyn
Map is below. Brearley st and tower st labelled in blue. No 318 in red. Looks like quite a large house in the centre of a terrace of smaller houses. Now I think it is a car park behind a rather ugly office building next to "Little hippos nursery".

map_c_1889_summer_lane_showing_no_318.jpg

When I look at the 318 in red ref, the area above The Gun and Pistol Works looks like a childish drawing of a pistol pointing left.
I am aware this is because of my twisted way of looking at life.
I am ashamed also that I was unaware that Brum had produced such renown firearms and that played quite a large part in the history of my country of adoption. Again thanks again to all who contribute to this great forum. Cheers Tim

Hi Janice
I wonder if William G Tranter perhaps left "The Shrubberies" and his estate in his will to the family, but the will was challenged by the two victuallers because they were owed monies, for goods purchased over the years (secret drinker perhaps)
I have never heard of the Kelly's directories, I will look it up, if I could find some documents about his will and the granting of probate it might lead me to who in the family was involved.

Michael

I have just found a reference to the fact William died of cirrhosis of the liver and toxaemia. You might be interested int he site (or may already know of it). It inckudes a family tree as well as history of the gunmaking.
https://www.firearmsmuseum.org.au/TranterHistory/wt_fam_fra.htm

Janice

Janice you are a mind of information, when I suggested that perhaps he was a secret drinker it was tongue in cheek, but maybe it wasn't too far from the truth !
I shall certainly check out the site you suggest, no I didn't know of it, in fact I am new to all this and am relying on people like yourself to guide me in the right direction, thanks.

Michael

Thanks to the others for your information on "The Shrubberies" it was quite a house.

Thanks but I am just passing on what I find - I like a good problem to tackle. I assume you have the census information on William Arthur and William Henry? Was your William Henry born in Derbyshire and then lived in Lancashire?

Janice

Thanks but I am just passing on what I find - I like a good problem to tackle. I assume you have the census information on William Arthur and William Henry? Was your William Henry born in Derbyshire and then lived in Lancashire?

Janice
Janice
Thanks for helping me tackle my problem.
The only documentation I have is my Fathers (William Arthur Tranter) Birth Certificate, Born 5/6/1905 Stoke-Upon -Trent at 3 Wood Street. his Father (my Grandfather) William Henry Tranter is listed as a Music-hall Attendant, his Mother (my Grandmother) Elizabeth Annie Tranter (formerly Taylor)is listed as Residence of Informant 29 Grosvenor Street Blackpool (ironic considering William Grosvenor Tranter) Why she lived in Blackpool and gave birth in Stoke-Upon-Trent is strange.
The only other information I have is verbally from my uncle many years ago, he recalled he believed his Grandfather(my GGG Grandfather) had a Butchers shop in Derby ? He also recalls, but didn't know in connection to what a reference to Ashbourne in Derbyshire.
My Grandfather William Henry moved his family to Blackburn Lancashire in the early 1900's. He, his wife and my father all died there.
So it seems the William Henry you mentioned is my William Henry, but its getting his history that is my challenge, am I related to William the gunsmith?
Michael

Hi PJ
Would you by any way have relatives in edbaston Birmingham or did have ask knew of a granted whom was my good neibour
Area years back now but I dare say they have gone from the area by now I left about 15 years ago now well that's when I knew them
Hope you do not mind me asking astonian,,,,,

First question - have you joined any websites? Such as Ancestry (that is what I use) or Findmypast? When I looked up your Father on Ancestry I found him on the 1911 census and when I then looked for William Henry on earlier censuses I cold see his parents names - this is how you track back. More importantly you can also see other peoples trees.
Second question - was your Mother called Grace? If so then, I think, there are at least a couple with your grandparents on and gong back further including some photos.
The reason I am not telling you the info is that part of the fun of tracing the tree is doing it yourself - in my opinion. You also need to look at info and decide if you think it is right or not.
I haven't seen a connection to the gunsmith but there may be one.
Let me know what other help you need - if I can then I will advise.

As this is getting away from the thread of "Gunmaker" I will try to see if I can send you a personal message.

Janice

Hi PJ
Would you by any way have relatives in edbaston Birmingham or did have ask knew of a granted whom was my good neibour
Area years back now but I dare say they have gone from the area by now I left about 15 years ago now well that's when I knew them
Hope you do not mind me asking astonian,,,,,

I am a Burns by marriage and my husband does not know a lot about his family. I have done some research but have not come across any in Edgbaston - what was their first name and what road?

Janice

Hi janice the son was john and they lived on roman way edbaston Birmingham I am trying to think of the mothers name
And I do believe the older one was Michael by the way Jan,of a coincidence would there be any burns on your side. Connected to a
Billy burns Jackie burns or a Seamus burns connected in your family tree
Thanks for replying so soon astonian,,,,

Hi Astonian - although John is a family name the address does not mean anything so I don't think there is a connection. I also don't recognise the other names.
Sorry.

Janice

Hi Janice
That's okay I thought I would just asked hope you find what you are are looking for. I am sure our reside den will find out for you
After all they all have reference books they work from and of course access to the library records I do not have that facility
My is from personal work and knowledge best of luck astonian,,,,,

mike thanks for the map...i think 318 summer lane was where the birmingham settlement was

lyn

Lyn - you are right :adoration: ..... 318 Summer Lane, the former home of William Grosvenor Tranter became the Birmingham Womens settlement.
They rented the house from May 1899 at a rental of £50 per annum.
This article from The Birmingham Daily Post, Saturday 28th April 1900, is a bit lengthy but it has some interesting descriptions of the house and Summer Lane.

Attachments

• settlement_Saturday2C_April_282C_1900_part_1~0.JPG
    settlement_Saturday2C_April_282C_1900_part_1~0.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 12
  • settlement_Saturday2C_April_282C_1900_part_2.JPG
    settlement_Saturday2C_April_282C_1900_part_2.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 12
  • settlement_Saturday2C_April_282C_1900_part_3.JPG
    settlement_Saturday2C_April_282C_1900_part_3.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 11
  • settlement_Saturday2C_April_282C_1900_part_4.JPG
    settlement_Saturday2C_April_282C_1900_part_4.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 11
ahh i thought so pol..it was the number 318 that first alerted me as i thought that was the number of the settlement and so asked mike for a map..

there should be a few old photos of the settlement on the forum and it was quite a large building...possably under the summer lane thread and i could have some in my files..bit late now but tomorrow i will try and track them down and post them here...

thanks pol great articles...

lyn

Lynn
I recall the settlement and there was a brown tiled pub almost next to it in summer lane in those days my dear
But I just cannot think of it at the moment best wisdhrs Alan,,astonian,,

hi alan the nearest pub to the settlement would be the barrel which was on the corner of summer lane and tower st (opposite corner to the settlement )..it is still there although has not been open for some years now...

lyn

Lynn yes that was the pub as you strolled along the road coming from new town on your right hand side of the road which was the settlement
Side of the road was on I remember when they first set up office as small as it was then they extended it to habit larger
I lived in the block of flats on the top floor in the precint when that first opened up on the rear side facing crocodile works and alma street
Have a good day Alan,,,,,

birmingham settlement 1930 teenagers off on an outing.jpgphoto here of the former home of william grosvenor tranter..this was taken in 1930 when the birmingham settlement arranged a day trip out for teenage boys of girls of the area...

lyn

birmingham settlement 1949.jpgstaff outside 318 summer lane which by this time was the birmingham settlement...it was quite a building...shame its no longer there...

lyn

Back