• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

William Tranter, gunmaker

How wonderful the way this thread has developed so much information and great photo's. Thanks to all who contributed.

Did anyone mention that the Rose & Crown 'crossed the road'? I'm not sure when it moved to it's new position but it's still there and looks to be a 30's building or perhaps a little earlier. It spanned the space between Gravelly Lane and Goosemoor Lane and had a bowling green at the back (since built on). Not sure how far the Shubberies stretched but the pub may have been built on this land. Difficult to tell now.

The Rose and Crown appears on the electoral roll on that side of the road between 1925 and 1927. The new site seems to be nearer birmingham than the Shrubberies were.

You're right Mikejee! All the early maps I have end at the Sutton Boundary (have you ever noticed that the bit you want is either just off the map or on the join?) However, having looked at Gravelly Lane again I realised that the houses in Enstone Road were built on this plot. I spoke to a friend on Sunday who lives there and he said 'that's funny, I was talking to my next door neighbour yesterday and he mentioned the big house which was here before'. Apparently he's done some research. This small development was built 'between the wars' and he (the friend) thought it was probably early 30's. I've left a request for his neighbour to call me with any further details.

I am new to your group and have read about the Tranter Gunmaker.

I am trying to find the parents and grandparents of a William Tranter born around 1773 wife Elizabeth Allen married around 1795. All I know is that he brought his family up in the Berkswell area. Why they moved from Birmingham, or who his parents were, I have no idea. Can any one advise?
They had a son Charles born around 1798. A Thomas around 1800.
Dear fellow member,looking at Berswell ,came across Elizabeth ALLEN,married to William TRANTER circ1773.Could you expand your information,as researching all ALLENs in Birmingham area.kind regards.Rod Allen

Back