• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

William Tranter, gunmaker

florence butler

master brummie
Would anyone possibly know the buriel place of William Tranter, Birmingham gunmaker, (my gg/uncle), who died 7 Jan 1890 at his home in Summer Lane?

Many thanks, Florence :)

Sorry I missed this post first time round. Here is the memorial inscription if it's any help Florence.:)

K 946: Here rest the remains of Walter GROSVENOR of Colmore Terrace who died January 29th 1863 in the 80th year if his age. Also Elizabeth wife of the above who died December 8th 1863 in the 78th year of her age. (Side): Here rest the remains of Caroline Mary Gough DAVIS daughter of Walter & Elizabeth GROSVENOR who died August 1st 1863 in the 49th year of her age. Also Amelia Elizabeth Grosvenor TRANTER daughter of William & Amelia Elizabeth TRANTER born March 14th 1865 died April 4th 1866 aged 1 year & 21 days. (Side): Here rest the remains of Amelia Elizabeth wife of William TRANTER of Colmore Terrace, Summer Lane who died August 24th 1882 in the 59th year of her age. Also of the above William TRANTER who died January 7th 1890 in the 74th year of his age. Here rest the remains of William Grosvenor TRANTER of the Shrubberies, Gravelly Lane, Erdington who died August 5th 1893 in the 31st year of his age. Sarah Jane HATTON died November 28th 1924 aged 75 years.

Tall obelisk on 28” square column. Decorated single tier base on flat slab. The second plot is kerbed.

K 947: TRANTER – for inscription see K 946.
Note: The cemetery register entry for the interment of William GROSVENOR records the plot number erroneously as K 996-997.

Hi Wendy...Thank you so much for the inscription. It has filled in a few gaps for me....Pleased that today went well at Key Hill.

Florence :)

Florence here is your Tranter grave and another one not sure if it's related!

William_Tranter_grave_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats marvellous Wendy, thank you. Sarah and Jeremiah don't ring a bell, but you never know if they might turn up with further research....Hoping to get to Key Hill tomorrow. We're really looking forward to seeing the cemetery for the first time.

All the best, Florence :)

I would love to meet you Florence. I think I will have to be there tomorrow now!:)

William_Tranter_001.jpg
These are the wonderful photo's of William Tranter plus info and his gun factory in Aston. These I am posting on behalf of Florence Butler.:)

Tranter_004.jpg

hi all
My uncle Horace was related to the Manton Bro's Gun-makers of Birmingham, from I believe the 1770's, I don't know if anyone has any historical info on the company and when it ceased . I do know that their cased pistols come up at action sometimes fetching 10's of 000's of £'s.
regards
paul

Amazing photo's of the gun factory!

Tranter_003~0.jpg

You certainly don't waste time Wendy....Thanks for putting the photo's of William Tranter on here for the archives.... Great to see the family grave at Key Hill open day today.

Florence we have found some more info on the manufacture of Williams Gun's. We would like to colate it with your info and pictures to put on a display at the cemetery. I hope this is ok with you!:)

Hi Wendy. Just read your message. We were away for the weekend.... I'd be happy for you to use the photo's etc for the display....Have you got any Tranter advert pics? if not, I can post to you.

Regards, Florence :)

Hello Florence anything you have that would be suitable to put on a display.The photo's are brilliant. Adverts would be great. I am only collating the information to be displayed. I will then pass it on to the committee.:)

Hi Wendy...I will put the pics in the post. Hope the committee can use them for the display on the next open day.

All the best, Florence :)

Re: William Tranter's grave at Key Hill cemetery (Wendy's post #2).... For anyone who may be researching this family, the missing relationship headstone details are as follows: Walter & Elizabeth Grosvenor are William Tranter's parents in Law....William Grosvenor Tranter is his son....Sarah Jane Hatton, his servant. He left a very nice legacy to her in his will which included a plot of land. Threafter, in later census returns, she was recorded as 'living on own means'.

Florence thank you so much for the adverts. I will laminate them for the display........I think it will be great. There is a lot of interest in the Birmingham gun makers and the gun quarter.:)

I am new to your group and have read about the Tranter Gunmaker.

I am trying to find the parents and grandparents of a William Tranter born around 1773 wife Elizabeth Allen married around 1795. All I know is that he brought his family up in the Berkswell area. Why they moved from Birmingham, or who his parents were, I have no idea. Can any one advise?
They had a son Charles born around 1798. A Thomas around 1800.

wonderful pics wend...the gunmaking trade played a huge part in brum history and its nice to see that it wont be forgotton..
thanks wend...

lyn

Re: William Tranter's grave at Key Hill cemetery (Wendy's post #2).... For anyone who may be researching this family, the missing relationship headstone details are as follows: Walter & Elizabeth Grosvenor are William Tranter's parents in Law....William Grosvenor Tranter is his son....Sarah Jane Hatton, his servant. He left a very nice legacy to her in his will which included a plot of land. Threafter, in later census returns, she was recorded as 'living on own means'.

Hi. I gave just read this with interest, and thrilled to find a photo of the tranter family, I am a descendant of Caroline nary gough grosvenor, she wad my grandmothers grandmother on my fathers side.
Her mother was elizabeth gough, and father Walter grosvenor. Have you researched these
caroline married a Benjamin Davis, Walter was a house agent, I think Benjamin worked for him
i would live to know if you have any info on this family
ftom val

Re: William Tranter, gunmaker. "The Shrubberies"

Problem solved, perhaps !!!
My name is Michael Tranter from Melbourne Australia.
There has always been a story within our family regarding a court case about a property called "Shrub Castle/House." I have never been able to locate such a place, until possibly now.
After having trouble getting any further back in my Family Tree (due to lack of family records) than my Grandfather I decided to try another tack, namely a suspicion that maybe William Tranter gunsmith was related, which led me to your site and an article posted by Florence Butler on 26/3/08 regarding his burial site. This post was answered by Wendy (Administrator) on 11/9/09 and included the name of Williams house "The Shrubberies" Is this too much of a coincidence?

My father was William Arthur Tranter born 5/6/1905 at 3 Wood Street, Stoke-Upon-Trent.
His father (my Grandfather) was William Henry Tranter.
My fathers mother (my Grandmother) was Elizabeth Annie Tranter (formerly Taylor)

Unfortunately I have no more family records to enable me backtrack. Any information on either "The Shrubberies" court case or my Family Tree would be extremely appreciated.
Regards Michael Tranter

According to probate for William Grosvenor Tranter (d 1893) probate was granted to 2 licensed victuallers - Job Whitehouse and John Bayliss. Value resworn in October 1894 (not sure what that means) at £2903 5s and 3d.
Perhaps the family queried the will?

Janice

Hi Janet
Thanks for your prompt response, now I'm even more intrigued, who are Job Whitehouse and John Bayliss I wonder.
Perhaps as you say the will was queried by the family, as I recall from my memory of the story I was told many years ago the family lost the court case.
Hopefully someone else will know more, here's hoping !

Michael

According to Kelly's directories (the information refers to about 2 years earlier than the date given because of the time taken to print). I also don't know for certain if these are the right men but would hazard a guess that they are.
Job Whitehouse was a beer retailer at 51 Catherine Street in 1890, by 1895 he was a beer retailer at 173 Wheeler Street and in 1900 he was at 97 Church Lane Aston.
John Bayliss was listed as a beer retailer at 22 Lichfield Road in 1892 through to 1899. He then died and probate shows he left £1259 (seems a lot for a beer retailer) and his address was the "Lamp Tavern" Lichfield Road.

Janice

Back