• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

William Street...Lozells

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Last edited by a moderator:
william st 1967 Edit. See post #8 below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for those - I remember that across the street from where we lived was a factory called Exacta Engineering Co. and the only pub in the street was the Gough Arms - there were probably 5 or 6 small shops in the street in total

Here is a pic of me aged two on my litle Triang tricycle at 1/51 William Street. The two structures just behind me are the 'brewhouse' and the outside toilet ! I wouldn't swap my humble origins for a life of royalty and I mean that most sincerely. This picture was taken in 1955

thats a grand pic...i remember the triang...typical back yard that...just like mine down paddington st...i too would not swap my humble beginnings.....not for all the tea in china.....

cheers

lyn

thats a grand pic...i remember the triang...typical back yard that...just like mine down paddington st...i too would not swap my humble beginnings.....not for all the tea in china.....

cheers

lyn

Lyn how can you see the name on the bike

i cant see it alf...we were told what is was in the post...hey me eyes aint that good....lol...

lyn

Edit. The images in posts #9-#15 below have been reposted no less than 3 times ! On this occasion it is difficult to decide which photos the following headings relate to. If anyone knows please let a moderator know. Thanks.

Preposting..

taken from no 87

taken from no 82

nos 73 to 129

Great pictures Lyn, glad to see you have re-posted them. The photo #21 with the flats at the back of the old houses
speaks vollumes. Thanks for re-posting them Lyn.

Stars

thanks stars...to be honest i thought i had already reposted them so i checked and found out that i did but they had gone again lol..it was only when new member jean posted on the geach st thread that i thought to double check..

lyn

brilliant photos, bring back so many memories. New Zealand may be clean and green but it's so lovely to look back at these pics and remember where you came from. Childhood was so different in those days, but defiantely happy :)

jean i agree with you there...its great to look back on these old photos of where we lived and was bought up..my childhood was such a happy one..

lyn

Great photos lyn...#12 looks like the factory i worked at when i first left school. If it was it was called Jarvis Bros.

Thanks for bringing these photos up again - I missed them in January.
One of my senior school friends lived b/o 19 William Street and I went to the house on a number of occasions, can picture the inside very well still.
When they demolished the street I think they moved her parents to one of the new blocks of flats nearby.

bringing to the top for any new members who are interested in these pics of william st lozells

lyn

Thanks so much for these, my great-grandparents lived on William Street just down from the Gough Arms between at least 1935 and 55, it's wonderful to see how it looked.

Thanks so much for these, my great-grandparents lived on William Street just down from the Gough Arms between at least 1935 and 55, it's wonderful to see how it looked.

i think post 9 photo 1 shows the gough arms pub..you can just see the ansells sign...

lyn

happy to help susan...if memory serves me i think in one of those pics you can just see the gough pub so your old house will be there...i will go back and look at them to see if i can see which one it is..if you would like to print off the photos to show your mom please feel free...

susan go to post 9..pics 1 and 2 both show the gough pub and your house...although i dont know which side of the pub you lived at..

lyn

Back