• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

William Samuel and John Jennens Brothers ?

StuartEwens

Brummie babby
William Samuel Jennens born abt 1806(census info) and John Jennens baptised 28th Dec 1807 Birmingham St Martins are my Great great Grandfathers and their children, Clara Catherine and Samuel respectively, married.
I have some indications that they were cousins but not proof.
William Samuel and John were both in the Brass Founding and Military Regalia business,the former in London and the latter in Birmingham.
Hopefully if they were brothers and so near in age William Samuel was also Baptised at St Martins. Can anyone help ?
Thanks ,
Stuart

ive had a look at my st. martins records and found the baptism you menitioned of john jennens bap. 28 dec 1807

and mistranscribed as william samuel jennins was bap. 29.5.1806 parents samuel and ann jennens
also found
edward son of samuel and ann jennens bap. 24.5.1804
mary ann daughter of samuel and ann jennens bap. 30.8.1802
thomas son of samuel and ann jennens bap. 7.7.1800

also
catherine bap. 30.10.1815 daughter of samuel and ann jennens. park street. brass founder
hannah bap. 25.5.1818 born 11.2.1818 daughter of samuel and ann jennens . park st. brass founder
joseph bap. 31.12.1825 born 16.10.1823 or 1825? son of samuel and ann jennens. park st. brass founder

also a burial of martha jennens at st. martins on 12.2.1847 aged 72yrs . park street.

Many thanks for such a rapid and informative answer. That has solved a source of family confusion. They were brothers and their children (cousins) did marry.
These complicated marriage arrangements went to the next generation when Samuel, son of Thomas Jennens produced my Grandmother Maude Jane and then ,on the death of her mother married a cousin of Maude Janes Husband, Richard Moore !!
What other complication may I unfold when I find out what relationship the Martha jennens buried 12/2/1847 aged 72 was to William Samuel and John.best wishes,
Stuart.

these marriages may be useful to you (also at st. martins)

16th aug 1844 . william rowley. of full age. bachelor.occ. jeweller . abode. birmingham heath. father. john rowley. occ. gardener
to sarah jane jennens . of full age. spinster. birmingham heath. samuel jennens. brass founder

witnesses - thomas rowley and hannah jennens

2nd may 1847 joseph jennens. full age. bachelor. brass founder. park street. samuel jennens. brass founder
to elizabeth kirkland. full age. spinster. sheepcote lane. thomas kirkland. gardener

witnesses were charles timberfield and esther jennens

I think I hit the wrong button. Forgive me if this is a repeat.
I have entered the marriage of Joseph Jennens and as I was not aware of Sarah Ann looked her up on Family Search.
She too was Baptized at St Martins,(on 28/08/1820 parents Samuel Jennens & Ann Tonkinson) . We have therefore added another child to the family. Thank you.
Stuart

Hello Stuart,

I am one of an informal network of people who have collected info about Jennens family history over the last 20 years. Among other things we have put together a tree showing the descendants of Samuel Jennens and Ann Tonkinson. (Your grandmother appears on the tree: and we also have the story of her brother Henry, twice removed from practice as a solicitor.) If you wish I could send this to an email address.

Regards

Roger​

Yes please. I am fairly new to Family History Research.Having some time on my hands now that I am retired and have finished restoring my vintage MG PB, I dug out the old family papers and Photos and got started. The last of my mother's generation has recently died but I got a lot of clues from them and it has paid dividends.
The cold weather doesn't tempt me into the garden so I am here online.
Once I have your information I will see what I have that you don't , if any, and send it to you.
The Jennens seem to have been quite an interesting family if all that I have found online is true.
Regards
Stuart (Ewens)

Last edited by a moderator:
I, too, am descendent from Samuel Jennens and Ann Tonkinson. From Samuel to William, William and then to my grandmother Sarah Annie who married John Joseph Cotter. My father Peter Joseph Cotter was born in Birmingham in 1911 and came to Australia with the family after his father died in 1922. His grandfather William was already living in Melbourne, Australia. He did not keep in touch with family in England. I would love to hear from other members of the family. It is difficult to obtain records from Australia. Regards
Daphne Bradford nee Cotter

Last edited by a moderator:
Stuart,

Who did Thomas (son of Samuel and Ann) marry? What other children did they have? Are you able to give me the descendants of Thomas. My gggrandfather was William last born child of Samuel and Ann. My father Peter Joseph Cotter, son of Sarah Annie Jennens was born in Birmingham and came to Australia in 1924.

Regards

Daphne Bradford (nee Cotter)

There is an entry on LDS that shows Thomas Jennens bap. 7th Jul 1800 St Martin. marries Hannah Tonkinson(relative?)on 26th May 1822 St Peters ,Harborne.

Last edited:
Entries on LDS that are submitted by LDS member,they have spelling Jennings but all are children of Thomas and Hannah ,nee Tonkinson.
Finding other entries such as their marriages will verify these entries
Ann b. 17th Oct 1823
John 1825
Charlotte b. 1827 died in 1828
Emma b. 1833 died in 1836
Thomas 1834
Amelia 1838 death recorded 1881.

The Thomas who married Hannah Tonkinson was the son of John & Sarah and was Baptised on 30th December, 1800 at Saint Phillips, Birmingham. They came to Australia with the 4 surviving children, John, Thomas, Caroline and Amelia, on board the "Alfred" arriving in Sydney on 19th January 1841. On their Bounty Immigration papers he is shown as a gardener and his parents were John Jennings, gardener and Sarah. Hannah's parents were Joseph ToMkinson, gardener, and Ann.

Thomas, the son of Samuel and Ann Tonkinson was baptised on 7th July 1800 at St Martin's Birmingham. Who did he marry? StuartEwens in post #3 said that that Yhomas had a son named Samuel, who had a daughter Maude Jane his grandmother.

There is a lot of confusion with all the Thomases

Thanking you for your replies

Daphne Bradford

Re: William Samuel and John Jennens Brothers -- Jennens family history interest

Hello, Roger, just found this post in the above-mentioned thread...I would be interested in contacting someone re: the Jennens family history you have collected, as my great great great grandmother was Mary Jennens (b. abt 1790), who married William Davenport at St. Edburgh's Church, Yardley (July 1816). I believe William was a die sinker by occupation. Mary's parents were Aaron Jennens, Sarah Harvey. Her brother was the Aaron Jennens of Jennens and Bettridge "japanners". I can't find William's parentage. Perhaps you have some info that might help fill all this out?
Thank you so much,
Sue Davenport (Pennsylvania, USA)

Hello Stuart,

I am one of an informal network of people who have collected info about Jennens family history over the last 20 years. Among other things we have put together a tree showing the descendants of Samuel Jennens and Ann Tonkinson. (Your grandmother appears on the tree: and we also have the story of her brother Henry, twice removed from practice as a solicitor.) If you wish I could send this to an email address.

Regards

Roger

the 1844 marriage of William and Sarah Jane who are my great grand parents. I hadn't realised that Samuel was a brass founder. I haven't managed to find any info about Samuel and his wife Ann...have no idea what her family name was.
Are you able to help?

Are your Great Grandparents William Roley and Sarah Jane Jennens or is William the Jennens? There were two William Jennens who were sons of Samuel Jennens and Ann Tonkinson. I have found 15 children (so far ?)<br>
I have Samuel's pedigree back to Robert Jennens 1500 from someone elses research but do not have the citations to prove it.

Hi Stuart,

Thanks so much for replying
My Great grand parents were William Rowley and Sarah Jane Jennens. Sarah Jane's father was a Samuel and her mother was called Ann ( we have a family miniature of Ann) but all I know is that Samuel was a brass founder...we don't have any other info about that side of the family. Do my lot fit in with your's?
cheers
Oriole

Yes they do.
I am off on holiday first thing in the morning but will contact you again in a fortnight with the information I have on Sarah Jane Jennens pedigree. I have quite a lot.
Best wishes,
Stuart.

Hi Oriole,
I have been trying to find the best way to get the data to you. The link I used to get the Jennens(jennings) tree back to Roger Jennens born abt 1500 Birmingham Warwickshire doesnt work any more so I can't just add this on the Forum.
I dont think I can post attachments on the Forum.
If you would like to EMail me at [email protected] I will send you what I have which is Quite a lot.
As a taster : Aston Hall (now a Birmingham Museum) was owned by John Jennens b1579, your GGG...Grandfather
Best

Re: William Samuel and John Jennens Brothers -- Jennens family history interest

Hello Sue,

I'm aware of Mary Jennens's marriage to William Davenport. I have some info, not comprehensive and obtained largely from public internet sources, about their descendants. I know nothing about William's origins. I have some info about earlier generations of Mary's family. If you wish, I could send what I do have as an email attachment.

Regards,

Roger

It seems one of my ancestors Ellen King was a domestic servant to Joseph and Emily Jennens living at 191 Albert Road - can anyone add any further info.

Forward

Thank you. Do you know if the Jennens had some connection with the area around Ross (Pencoyd - Harewood End), where Ellen came from.

No connection with Ross that I can see. Joseph Jennens lived in B'ham all his life: his father was originally from Bilborough, Nottingham, but had settled in B'ham by 1848. Emily Jennens, nee Blackburn, lived in B'ham all her life, as did her parents.

No connection with Ross that I can see. &nbsp;Joseph Jennens lived in B'ham all his life: his father was originally from Bilborough, Nottingham, but had settled in B'ham by 1848. &nbsp;Emily Jennens, nee Blackburn, lived in B'ham all her life, as did her parents.

Hello Stuart,

Regards

Roger​

Hi Roger

Elizabeth Jennens is my great great grandmother who married Frederick Wood. I would love to receive the information you have collected.
[email protected]

best wishes

Philippa

Back