• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

William Noon-Greenwich Pensioner?

kaz

master brummie
Hello,

Does anyone know how a chap(an ag lab) born in Dunchurch 1793, ends up doing service in Devon?
Was there a connection between Warwickshire and Devon?

I know he was a private and then a corporal - thanks to the Baptism records for his children - and that he was noted as a Greenwich pensioner in the 51 census but is there a way to find out more about his service?

Many thanks:)

If he was a Greenwich pensioner then he was in the Navy, and went to the Greenwhich Hospital, like the Chelsea pensioners go to the chelsea hospital if ex army, to get in you had to have been a sailor, even if pressed you would have had entitlment, but you would have had to have had a fairly glorious career not just any sailor could get in.
paul

To get admission to either of these illustrious establishments you must have served King and country with honour, you would have need a rank of sorts, be of sober and religous temprement and be seconded by someone in authority to be given a place which was deemed an honour not a right.
paul

Kaz I forgot to say you can get into Greenwhich if you served in the Royal Marines, so I take it as your ancester was a corporal he would have been a marine not a sailor.
paul

Paul - just found in my notes that he was indeed in the Royal Marines. Does this make it easier to track him down - and would his career still have been "illustrious"?

Many thanks

Kaz to gain entrance to the hospital he would have had to have long service with "Honour" by this I mean he did'nt nessessarly get the VC but he would have been given a reference from a senior officer and his service record would show many campaigns possibly even wounds whilst serving his King and country, and that it was an "Honourable" service, many applied for the hospital which was in fact a retirment home for ex naval personnal but only the best were chosen.
paul

Kaz Greenwhich Hospital Historical Records
3 Creed Court, 5 Ludgate Hill, London, EC4M 7AH, 020 7396 0150.
Historic Records Office Royal Marines, DESCRIPTION BOOKS 1750-1940, (ADMN 158)
2 Buildings 1/152, Victory View, PP36 HMNB, Portsmouth, PO1 3PX,
these should give you all the info you require, hope you are successfull, happy Christmas .Paul

Paul,

Thank you so much for all the information - I will try and compose a letter over the holidays and see if i can get any further:)

Happy Holidays,
Kaz

Back