• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William Newman & Sons Ltd., Hospital St., B’ham

Hi Lyn,
I am completely puzzled as to what happened to my reply to your message dated august last year. I know I did respond but for some reason it did not send. I will make a point of trying to locate it among my now deleted messages and will be in touch again in due course.

Derek, Proper Brummie Kid Still Trying To Come To Terms With City's Table Position.

Hi Dave and thanks for your response. Mr H R Bushell was the personal manager and I found him a bit eccentric. I vividly remember being interviewed by him on the Friday morning before I started on the Monday 10th January 1955 and as it was close to lunchtime he asked me if I could come back again after lunch. I agreed to this and I had to wait quite a time before he was back because apparently he had left his car in Town and forgot where he had parked it. Despite this he was a nice old boy and he must have served the company well. I still remember the names of some of the foreman, as you said Len Humphries his daughter was a charge hand in the warehouse where all the shipping of finished products were dealt with. Edgar Seal taskmaster, Frank Mason, Tommy Collins, Bert Bolland, whos department manufactured the Pyx and Mini coin locks and Indicating bolts which were just a small part of the products produced in his department. George Raybould, Vic Garfield, Sgts Len Shilvock and G Cowley were time office personnel who sat adjacent to the lift and made sure they reserved it on the ground floor pending the colonels arrival. Harry Dangerfield was responsible for Floor Spring production. That only covers part of the production staff there were several others whos names escape me. Interesting that you lived off Witton Road in Aston although I was born in Erdington I grew up in Holland Road in Aston which was close to the cinema on Aston Cross later to become the Crossroads television studio. I went to Upper Thomas Street School which I have been catching up on recently, Spent most of my time playing sport or sitting on my own in a small room blowing up and dubbing footballs and also all the cricket and sporting gear which the various sports teams used, hence the reason I spent 4 years studying after leaving. Regarding breakfast eats I don't think I can remember the ground floor facility, we used to have a lady come round the office pushing a trolley with hot toast and cheese rolls which always went down well. Witton Road reminds me of Bert Pittaway the fishing tackle shop owner that I used to collect the maggots from for our fishing trips, happy days as you say. After I left the company I spent over 3 years selling all round the black country and then in 1978 moved to Cornwall to join my brother who also worked in the drawing office of the company, he was assistant to Bill Hartland the works manager and one of his projects was overseeing the installation of the Electrostatic spraying equipment in the Briton spraying shop.
Regards Derek.
Hi. I’m new to this group, but was interested to see my grandad’s name (Victor Garfield) when I did a search of our surname. I don’t know much about him as he died in 1991. (I was only 14 at the time and he had been ill with Parkinson’s disease for as long as I can remember). I know he worked at Newman Tonks though and was a cabinet maker, having made lots of furniture that my Nan and grandad had in their home. My dad will definitely have more information. Clare.

Hi Phil, Dave, It sounds like I might have to send the attachments separately, I will look at it again later and get back to you..
Derek
Hi, I’m interested to see my grandad’s name (Victor Garfield) in one of your photographs. Have you got any more information from the book you have taken a photo of? Thank you, Clare.

Hi, I’m interested to see my grandad’s name (Victor Garfield) in one of your photographs. Have you got any more information from the book you have taken a photo of? Thank you, Clare.
Hello Clare and my apology for not responding sooner. I joined Newman Tonks after leaving school in 1955 and we parted company in 1975. Because of the passage of time my memory is somewhat limited now, but despite that I can still remember the names and faces of some of the foremen of the various departments which was pretty extensive due to the size of the company. I still have the book I was given when I joined entitled 'Introduction to the Newman Group for staff and works' and your grandfather is listed with many others under the title Carpenter/Painter. I would be quite happy to drop this in the post to you if you could email your address ([email protected]) or my landline 01637 877452. Regarding the book which you also mentioned, this does make very interesting reading and on reflection if it's of interest and a keepsake, you can have both copies because it's unlikely that I will find any further use for them in the future.

Back