• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

William Mosedale - George Cross

I hope the following is of some help.

William Radenhurst Mosedale G.C.
Born 28th March 1894
Aged 16, he joined 5th Royal Irish Lancers reached the rank of Corporal. He left the service to look after his widowed grandmother. He became a railway porter but soon after left to join the Fire Brigade in Birmingham on 10th August 1914
He reached the rank of Station Officer and was in charge of the Brigades Rescue Section
In 1940 two incidents were noted for G.C. action, an auxiliary fire station was demolished by a high explosive bomb. Civilians and firemen were trapped in side. The emergency tender from Central Fire Station with Station Officer Mosedale in charge responded to the incident. A tunnelling process was undertaken to reach those that were trapped and oxygen was administered. This operation lasted for over 12 hours under intense bombardment. He saved twelve people. The two incidents occurred on 23rd November 1940 at Yardley Wood Road, and 11th December 1940 at the Grantham Road Auxiliary Fire Station.
He retired in 1944 and Died 27th March 1971 (Nailsea, Somerset) Burial / Cremation Arnos Vale Crematorium, Bristol. Reported in the Times Newspaper – Obituary 3rd April 1971

All the best Pipone

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

Many Thanks for responding so quickly. I would love to contact a relative is any are still in the Birmingham area.

Telbert

Telbert, welcome to the forum, the book Heroes of the Birmingham Air Raids by Michael Minton, has a 4 page report of the two raids that pipone mentions,including a photo of the man himself, and his GC medal

Colin

mosedale family

Hi There Telbert
Im Just Wondering Whether Or Not Have You Any Connection To The Mosedale Family That Lived In The Opening Yard Of Cope St, And Springfield St Ladywood Bham , In The Fifties And Sixties,
Ad I Remember Albert , And The Whole Family In The Big Yard
Have A Nice Day , Astonian ,

William Mosedale G.c.

Many Thanks for responding so quickly. I would love to contact a relative is any are still in the Birmingham area.

Telbert
Hi Telbert, came across the site while surfing the net at the weekend with a view to traceing my family tree, when entering Mosedale up comes Williams name.I see you are interested in remaining relatives & obviously William.So here we go & I hope this helps.
My Grandad Arthur was Williams brother, Arthur died aged 69 in 1974.
My Dad, Arthurs only son is alive & very well & living in Hollywood Birmingham aged 77.
Dad tells me he has been contacted recently by someone( from the Fire Service ? not sure ) about a street naming ceremony that will take place to honour Williams achievments, we are waiting to hear more.
My Dad does not do internet but you can mail me if you need more info.
We are touched by your interest & I do know Williams medal is at the Birmingham Museum but not on public view, you have to ask to view it.
Regards, Steve Mosedale

Hello Steve welcome to the forum you must be very proud of your grandads brother. I am sure your Dad must have a few tails to tell!

Hi There Telbert
Im Just Wondering Whether Or Not Have You Any Connection To The Mosedale Family That Lived In The Opening Yard Of Cope St, And Springfield St Ladywood Bham , In The Fifties And Sixties,

Regrets I am not related to the family in any way.

Station Officer William Mosedale's life story, including his actions in the Birmingham Blitz has been told in full for the first time in Come if ye Dare, the story of the 11 Civil Defence George Cross receipients.

It is available direct from the author for £12.50. Please PM me with an email address and a flyer will folllow.

Terry

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: mosedale family

Hi There Telbert
Hi Astonian,
I know it is some time since this thread, but I am new to this forum. I am Albert Moulsdale, son of Albert and Pru, from Cope Street. Who are you? Dad is still alive. I could let him know that you have been in touch. Please reply.
Regards
Albert

Did you know that William Mosedale had a road named after him last year in the Lea Bank area of Birmingham near to where he actually lived. The naming was arranged by various groups but West Midlands Fire Service attended along with a number of relatives. The story appeared in the evening mail. The W.M. Fire Service Heritage Group have further
details. Ian.

I am trying to gather the info of VC & GC holders at https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=31785&page=1

His gazette citation makes stirring reading: https://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/35117/supplements/1777

FRIDAY, 28 MARCH, 1941
CENTRAL CHANCERY OF THE ORDERS
OF KNIGHTHOOD.
St. James's Palace, S.W.i.
28th March, 1941.
The KING has been graciously pleased to
award the GEORGE CROSS to: —
William Mosedale, Station Officer and Rescue
Officer, Birmingham Fire Brigade.
An Auxiliary Fire Station was completely
demolished by a very large high explosive
bomb. A number of Auxiliary Firemen
were trapped in the station and civilians
were buried in an adjoining house which had
also been demolished.
Station Officer Mosedale immediately began
tunnelling and propping operations. Hundreds
of tons of debris covered the site and
Mosedale fully realised that at any moment
he might be buried by a further collapse.
When the first tunnel was completed and
the Control Room reached, he found that
there were still men whom he could not extricate.
He carried out another tunnelling
operation from a different direction and again
entered the Control Room. Five men were
found, one dead, the others injured.
The Station Officer crawled through and
administered oxygen to the injured men and
they were then taken out through the tunnel.
The entrance to the cellar of the private
house was full of debris. Station Officer
Mosedale directed operations for removing
this, only to find that the cellar itself had
collapsed. He nevertheless persevered and,
after a time, reached seven people who were
trapped. Three had been killed outright
when the roof collapsed. He gave oxygen to
the remaining four and succeeded in extricating
them.
To reach other victims it was again necessary
to tunnel, and Mosedale immediately
commenced this work. The dangers to be
faced were similar to those which he had
found in reaching the Control Room. He
nevertheless completed the tunnel and entered
the cellar under the Fire Station. Four men
who were alive were given oxygen and,
despite their injuries, were safely removed.
Tunnelling through such difficult material
had necessarily been extremely, 'hazardous,
and the cellar collapsed completely, shortly
after the removal of the last victim.
These operations, which lasted more than
twelve hours, were carried out under a most
intense bombardment. Twelve lives were
saved by Station Officer Mosedale who
showed outstanding gallantry and resource.
In effecting the rescues he repeatedly risked
his own life.

HI ALBERT
How are you keeping mate. it,s been many years since i spoke with you in person
we used to play foot ball with you and the gang in the big yard where your house was
and joyce from the shop and wholly [ fonze ] if you remember him and the jinks brothers
i lived next to he chimney sweep and we all went o the same school, tony mem ;
got killed on his motor bike down watery lane many years ago takin is girl friend home
wholly got killed by car accident a couple of years back ;we used to drink in the bill and bush
coventry rd but i do not go there now as i live in worcestershire, also i would like to mention
that my wife knows your wife from way back when and i beleive they was friends she tells me ;
i beleive you are now living down the rd from our dance club , which is the rocklands up the rd
from you ; and i certainly remember you and your parents and family ;
if you would like to em ,me i will give you my personal e,mail address off line ;
look foreward to hearing from you both . by the way tell your wife that m wifes name is teresa;
from ladywood best wishes Astonian ;; alan ;;

Alan, I am intrigued as to which Alan you are. I don't use this site very much so don't know how to contact you, other than on here. I would love to chat with you privately, but how do we pass on details?
Albert

Albert - click on Astonian's name in the title of the post and then select "Instant Message" then type in your private message to him. If he replies you should get a notification in the top right of your screen
Aidan :)

Albert - click on Astonian's name in the title of the post and then select "Instant Message" then type in your private message to him. If he replies you should get a notification in the top right of your screen
Aidan :)
Thanks Aidan.

You also might like to know that there is a street named after him on the Instructor's estate at the Fire Service College in Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire - I lived on it for 3 years in the 1990s! The other two roads on the estate were also named after decorated WWII fire service personnel - Errington and Davies Road. All a great inspiration!

Hi albert
i did send you an message a very long time ago pehaps you have not received it if you follow the instructions by tapping in m,y thread name astonion
i will receive any message you send to me i wopuld dearly love to hear from you and also my wife knows your wife
whom she as i beleive did make contact with her at one stage i beleive you live down the rd from the rocklands social club
which is our line dance club
i will await your reply then i will give you my personal e,mail address best wishesa astonion

Back