• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William Morris Grundy 1806 - 1859 photographer

A wonderful collection of photos, thanks for posting. Obviously taken in mostly rural locations. A couple suggested to me the Malverns or Herefordshire, but only a vague feeling. Do the baskets in a couple of the photos point to something/a locality ? Perhaps the style of these is a specific local design.

The striking thing for me about the photos is how vividly and clearly they show the people, their faces and mannerisms - the surroundings being almost insignificant. Viv.

Most interesting. Cornwall or Wales are suggested in a couple of the photos. A pity we do not have location for them but the photos do exist and we should be grateful for that.
They are quite striking - probably improved using modern techniques - but those were times when the posers had to stay as motionless as possible. Notable most show people with headgear - a common feature until recent times.

Most interesting. Cornwall or Wales are suggested in a couple of the photos. A pity we do not have location for them but the photos do exist and we should be grateful for that.
They are quite striking - probably improved using modern techniques - but those were times when the posers had to stay as motionless as possible. Notable most show people with headgear - a common feature until recent times.

This was mentioned in the other forum where I came across him.

have admit i did not know that photos of this quality existed in the1850s...stunning

lyn

In then 1851 census he is listed as a currier , living with his father, Morris, a retired currier, in the High St, Sutton Coldfield, between Whitehouse court (and Whitehouse yard) and Rookery House. I gather The police station is on the site of Rookery house, so his house must be close to where the railway line now crosses the High St

map c1890 showing northern part of high st , sutton coldfield.jpg

It looks like the pictures that William Grundy took were to be viewed by a stereoscope. I think the picture shown in Post 8 must be from the book published after his death that also contained the poems.

Perhaps if the originals were available, as is said, modern techniques could work wonders. Still it looks like he knew how to take a good picture!

The Sutton Coldfield Local History Research Group says MR Grundy died in 1852 and around 70 years old. This must be the father of WMG. He was partner in the firm Horton and Grundy.

Horton and Grundy were at 44 Bradford St. from at least 1836 . About 1878 company absorbed by Messrs Mason.

Whilst browsing another forum I came across this link https://mashable.com/2017/09/24/william-grundy-english-views/?europe=true#k_Sgb9lGK6qf

It shows some stunning photographs by this Birmingham born photographer. I searched this forum for him but couldn't find anything. Perhaps some members may have come across him and maybe someone recognises some of the locations, although they may not be anywhere near Birmingham.
Very good clear photos some of the best ive seen from this time great link

Whilst browsing another forum I came across this link https://mashable.com/2017/09/24/william-grundy-english-views/?europe=true#k_Sgb9lGK6qf

It shows some stunning photographs by this Birmingham born photographer. I searched this forum for him but couldn't find anything. Perhaps some members may have come across him and maybe someone recognises some of the locations, although they may not be anywhere near Birmingham.
A very nice collection.A lot of licence has been assumed attributing all of them to Grundy. For example, the sixth image is probably by Burr and the seventh is definately by Thomas Richard Williams (see A Village Lost and Found by May and Vidal, illustration 53). Titled The Remains of the Old Hall this is in Hinton Waldrist. Similarly, further down, 'Pumping Water' is by T.R. Williams (same book, No 35 'The Old Story at the Pump'). Several of the others are not in Grundy's style.

Back