• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William Humphries

evacar52

master brummie
I am looking for birth information and or census (1941 and 1951) information for William Humphries. He died in Redditch, Worcertercshire on February 13, 1871 at 46 years of age so his birth date would have been 1825. He married Harriet Merry on September 27, 1852 at St George, Birmingham and lists 24 Ct Summer Lane as his address on the marriage banns but I have not been able to locate him at this address. His occupation was listed as groom (at horse stables). His father was listed as Edward Humphries a baker. I have seen on Ancestry trees that William is attached to the tree with Edward Humphries and Martha Green but I have no documentation (birth records 1841 and 1851 census)to verify this. Once he marries he is well documented in the census records.

pjmburns

master brummie
As he was born before compulsory birth registration you are hoping he was baptised so there is a record of his birth.
There is a possible 1841 entry mistranscribed as Humphres - address Red Lion street Redditch.

Attachments

Last edited:

evacar52

master brummie
Hi Janice Thanks for your response. The age fits if he was born in 1825. Yes a baptismal record would be so helpful as it would hopefully indicate his parents. Does the 1841 the census record state his employment. I will go the library tomorrow to access Ancestry and look at the census document (Ancestry is free at Canadian libraries). Appreciate your help.

Carol

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi evacar....i think after marrying william would only have been on the 61 census because if he died in the feb i think that was before the 1871 census was taken .think ive got them living in redditch on the 61 william down as groom..trying to find him on the 51...also noted on the 1852 marr cert that william has put his age down as 21 which would make his birth 1831 not 1824... not sure why he would do that unless he wanted to appear younger than he was to his bride instead of being 9 years older ...

lyn

Last edited:

pjmburns

master brummie
The entry I posted shows the whole entry. 1841 census did little apart from record a name and address - even ages were rounded.
If he was born in Redditch then that is Worcestershire and the parish records for there are not on Ancestry as far as I know.

evacar52

master brummie
hi evacar....i think after marrying william would only have been on the 61 census because if he died in the feb i think that was before the 1871 census was taken .think ive got them living in redditch on the 61 william down as groom..trying to find him on the 51...also noted on the 1852 marr cert that william has put his age down as 21 which would make his birth 1831 not 1824... not sure why he would do that unless he wanted to appear younger than he was to his bride instead of being 9 years older ...

lyn
Thanks Lyn. You are right he is not on the 1871 census, just Harriet his wife and 2 of William and Harriet's children. Interestingly their first born daughter Frances Martha Humphreys does not live with her parents in any of census records, but lives with her grandparents, Frances and John Molesworth. I would love to find William in the 1851 census but no luck so far. On the marriage banns in 1852 he lists 24Ct Summer Lane as his address and I scanned all the residents in Summer Lane but did not find him. As far as his birth year I am going by the information on the GRO death records which states he is 46 when he dies in February 13, 1871.
Thanks again for your help.
Carol

evacar52

master brummie
The entry I posted shows the whole entry. 1841 census did little apart from record a name and address - even ages were rounded.
If he was born in Redditch then that is Worcestershire and the parish records for there are not on Ancestry as far as I know.
Oh that is interesting about the Worcestershire Parish records. Are they available on any of the sites?

pjmburns

master brummie
I think some are on Find My Past but as I don't subscribe to that I am not sure.
The other thing to add is that if he was baptised in the Catholic Church then those records are not online.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Janice
The Genealogist have Worcestershire Parish Records, though I do not know how complete they are. Searching for 1825+/- 5 years for births show
1820 Kidderminster St Mary , parents Thomas & Ann, living Mill St, father was Weaver
1823 Kidderminster St Mary, parents, William & Ann, living Queen St, father was victualler
1829 Pershore holy Cross, parents Henry & Ann, living Evesham, father was gardener
1830 Kidderminster St Mary, parents William & Ann, living at Mill St, father was grocer (Here baptism was of William Hassall Humphreys

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi evacar just to quote a bit of this post you made

Thanks Lyn. You are right he is not on the 1871 census, just Harriet his wife and 2 of William and Harriet's children.

if you have got harriet on the 71 living with just 2 children i think i must have the wrong harriet humphries as ive got one on the 1871 census living in redditch age 35 widow living with 5 children the eldest being aged 14

lyn

MWS

master brummie
Quick question - how are the Molesworths the grandparents?
Frances appears to be Harriet's mother and despite Harriet listing Henry as her father on her marriage I think Harriet might be illegitimate.

Frances Merry marries John Molesworth in 1836.

On the 1841 census they are living in Solihull and there are 4 children are listed as Molesworth, they appear to be 2 sons from John's first marriages and 2 daughters of Frances.

There is a baptism for an Ann Milward Merry mother Frances in Redditch 1830.

No baptism for a Harriet Merry but there is a baptism for Harriet Middleton mother Frances in Redditch 1833. Could be father's name???

cba

master brummie
I think some are on Find My Past but as I don't subscribe to that I am not sure.
The other thing to add is that if he was baptised in the Catholic Church then those records are not online.
[ I found my Kidderminster Catholic Ancesters' baptismal records from mid 19th century on line on Find My Past.

cba

master brummie
Sorry that post got a bit mixed up
Catholic baptismal registers can be found on Find My Past. I found my 19th century Kidderminster relatives.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
just following on from my post 13...the harriet humphries widow i have on the 71 living with 5 children is on the 61 census age 26 living with husband william occupation groom aged 35 at this point they just have 2 children

MWS

master brummie
Following on from my post #14.

When Ann Merry (Harriet's sister) marries in 1848 she also gives her father's name as Henry.

MWS

master brummie
Re William Humphries. It seems reasonable to believe that he was the son of Edward and Martha. There is also an Edward Humphries b1825ish Redditch who gives his father's name as Edward on his marriage and I can't see no baptism for him. Nor is there one for a possible brother Enoch b1831.

Also the children who are baptised appear to be Wesleyan Methodist not Catholic.