• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William Hayward - japanner

sheri

master brummie
In 1881 William Hayward was a japanner/french polisher employing 10 men and 26 women - his work shops were from 16 to 22 Camden St. He lived at Sutton Coldfield - I have the info there until 1911. I was wondering if anybody can find anything on his business - and where is/was Camden St.
Thank you for any help you can give.
Sheri

sheri
Two maps c 1890 , one very alrge scale and the other showing area, both with the firm marked in red, are below. From directories we also get (remembering that date in directory is publication date and will probably refer to at least a year earlier
From directories we get:
In 1862 there are several willaim Haywards, but none was in the same sort of business or at that address
1867-68 William Hayward, japanner, 228 Camden St
1872 William Hayward, japanner, 230 Camden St
1873 William Hayward, iron tray maker, 228-234 Camden St
1876-79 William Hayward, japanner, 228-234 Camden St
At this point Camden St as renumbered from consecutive, 1,2,3,4... to odd numbers one side, even the other
1880-97 William Hayward, japanner, 16,18,20,22 Camden St
1899-1910 William Hayward & Sons, tray manufacturers, 16,18,20,22 Camden St
1912-15 William Hayward & Sons, tray manufacturers, 18,20,22 Camden St
1921 F.C.Booth & Co Ltd, sheet metal workers 18,20,22 Camden St
So the factory slightly reduced in size around 1911, and then disappeared at around the end of WW1

B_Post_17_1_1891.jpg

B_Post_7_3_1891.jpg

map_c_1889_camden_st_nos_16-22.jpg

Two adverts from the birm Post show he did floral trays and advertising hoardings

map_c_1890_around__camden_st_16-22_marked.jpg

Mike, thank you so much for the information - it was what I wanted. One more question I can't really tell if Camden St was near the center of B'ham or not - I had a feeling it was near Snow Hill?? I don't know how you found this thread because it hasn't come up in the Trades must have done something wrong!!!!
Many thanks,
Sheri

Hope this works sheri. If you go to https://goo.gl/maps/k7DYN , then Sloane st (marked A & C on google map, is where Tyndall st is on the old maps. You can then zoom out on google maps to see where it is

Thank you Mike for the map - now I know roughly where he was - my interest is becuse he employed so many women I think my gt. aunts worked for him - connected by marriage - which I can't find yet!!

Back