• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William Enoch Rowland Adams 1848

Brummie27

master brummie
Hello

I am trying to work out the surname of who William married. I’ve found the family in census records and his wife is Eliza. I’ve looked up the children and some have mother’s maiden name as Darby but others have no Mothers MM.

I found a marriage for Eliza Darby to Roland Adams in 1867 but I’m not sure if this is the same man. Is it possible that he changed his name - using Rowland which is his third Christian name but spelt differently on the results as I’m finding Roland.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thank you

also a marriage in birmingham of a william adams to jane harsell 1876...not much info to go on really but maybe someone else can fair better

lyn

On 1871 census it shows as Roland Adams but it’s 1846 and the first two children are there. I’m just wondering if it’s the same man. Or if I need to start looking for William Enoch Frank Rowland 1848.

my tree has become complicated as time has gone by. I had hoped for this to become easier with practice.

He appears to be mostly listed as Roland on the censuses. Sometimes children are named after a relative and then called by another name to avoid any confusion. My nan was Sarah Ann but was never known as Sarah, always Annie.

I don't think it's anything to worry about as long as you're certain it's one of his children you're connected with.

Roland Adams birth year 1846 married in Pensnett 4th March 1867 , fathers name Enoch
to Eliza Darby birth year 1848 father Samuel.

In 1851 in Cradley, as Roland birth 1845 with parents Enoch and Elizabeth
In 1861 in Cradley as Roland birth year 1845
1881 as William E R Adams birth year 1847

Many of the ages of these Adams vary from census to census
In 1851 Roland has a younger brother b 1847 his name is Elon.
His full birth name was Benjamin Jabez Elon Adams b 1846.

Roland Adams birth year 1846 married in Pensnett 4th March 1867 , fathers name Enoch
to Eliza Darby birth year 1848 father Samuel.

In 1851 in Cradley, as Roland birth 1845 with parents Enoch and Elizabeth
In 1861 in Cradley as Roland birth year 1845
1881 as William E R Adams birth year 1847

Many of the ages of these Adams vary from census to census
In 1851 Roland has a younger brother b 1847 his name is Elon.
His full birth name was Benjamin Jabez Elon Adams b 1846.
Hello

I'm not sure if this Roland is the one I'm looking for.

I have found William Enoch Frank Rowland's birth as 1848 and found his father as William 1817 and mother as Elizabeth Fereday??

From the censuses there seems to be differing ages etc. but I found that William and Eliza Darby 1849 looked promising as marrying. But my family tree software through's up that Eliza could have married a Roland Adams. I think I might do well sending for the birth certificate and the marriage license to be sure of who I am looking for. They lived in Chapel Street 1871, Windmill End in 1881 and then Halesowen Road 1891.

There children were Edwin T, Mary E, William A, Ann M, Laura E, Francis Rowland, Phebe M, Albert E.

My interest is Francis Rowland Adams 1882 and finding the right links back.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated

I think you are trying to cause doubt for yourself.

The Roland Adams that married Eliza Darby, that Alberta pointed out, is your William Enoch Roland Adams. As I said previously I don't think the name differences are anything to worry about.

Children are consistent between the censuses when he appears as William and the ones when he appears as Roland.

His birth place is listed as Cradley and Colley Gate, Colley Gate is in Cradley (Stourbridge district). You can match his siblings from 1851 & 1861 to registrations in Stourbridge, children of Enoch Adams and Elizabeth Sidaway.

Also mentioned by Alberta, his brother Benjamin Jabez Elon Adams, has a similar variation of names on censuses.

Can I just add that there are quite a few family trees on ancestry for this family and they have Enoch William Adams marrying Elizabeth Sidaway in 1841 and their family as
Sarah Ann 1842
William Enoch Roland in 1845
Benjamin Jabez Elon in 1846
Caroline in 1848
Although some details on Ancestry family trees are sometimes inaccurate,but I have checked all the census entries and I assure you these are correct.

On original copy of 1871 census ROLAND Adams age 25 chain maker is with wife Eliza age 22 and children Edwin T age 3 and Mary E age 1

On original copy of 1881 census
WILLIAM E R Adams age 34 chain maker is with wife Eliza age 32 and children
Edwin T age 13, Mary E age 11, William 9, Ann 7 and Laura 1.

In 1891 William Adams age 43 Chain maker wife Eliza 42 the above children and Francis R age 8, Phoebe M age 7 and Albert E age 4

In 1901 William is again Roland and in 1911 Rowland

Interestingly Eliza is not on the 1901 census but is visiting William Sidaway and his wife Mary in wales.
Elizas daughter Mary E Adams married William in 1892 Dudley , possibly William is a distant relative from Marys grandmother Elizabeth Sidaway , William E R Adams mother.

I hope that between us ,MWS and myself have helped eliminate any doubts you have about your family tree.
Good luck with the rest of your research. Alberta

Last edited:
Hi Alberta

thank you for your time and patience. I am new to this and there are so many Darby and Adams in the family past and they intermingle. William Enoch marries Eliza Darby and three his son Francis marries Elizabeth Darby as well. I haven’t started searching for Elizabeth who marries William Enoch yet but will continue my searches.

I spent lots of time going through William Enoch again and agree it’s him as Roland on some of the censuses as well. It just confused me as there is a Roland Adams birth as well as. William Adams one. So I assumed they were separate people.

I was sure I had found William Enoch 1848 with mother as Fereday but had not started looking for siblings. but with your help it looks like it’s Sidaway instead.

thank you for your support and time on this one.

Back