• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William Edward Pittaway

G

Gummy

I found a bracelet when I moved into a house in Chadderton, Oldham about 15 years ago. The bracelet is what we now call 'Trench Art' and was created by William Edward Pittaway of the Royal Field Artillary during WW1.

His service number was 2335 836118. and he served in RFA 'A' Battery, 242 Brigade, this was, I beleive, incorporated into 241 Brigade in 1916.

William was born in Birmingham on August 28th 1893 and died in July 1987. After returning from France he moved into a house in Highgate.
The strange thing about this is that I was born in Birmingham and at one time I lived just the other side of the Bristol Road from Highgate!!

If anyone knows any more about William Pittaway I would be facinated to know more.

Thanks.

Robin

Robin
The electoral roll shows William Edward Pittaway in 1920 at 1 Alice Place Darwin St, with Alfred Pittaway.
In 1925 he is living at 37 Woodfield road with Florence Pittaway and Harry Edward Robbins and Gertrude Amelia Robbins.
In 1930 he is with Florence at 204 Darwin St, next to the Royal Oak (no 203) and in 1935 and 1939 with Florence at 151 Darwin St.
In 1939 he is with Florence at 65 Easthope Road Stechford.
In 1950 he is at no 65 again , with Florence and Edward T.Pittaway.
Electoral rolls online at present don’t go beyond 1950, but Edward T Pittaway is listed in the 1956 directory as at 12 Measham Grove. William E does not seem to be t mentioned in any directories
Mike

Marriage for William E Pittaway to Florence Eadie OND Bham 1921 6d 543

Children:
William H Pittaway JFM Bham 1923 ref 6d 652
Edward T Pittaway JAS 1927 Bham ref 6d 237

Suzanne

1911 census has the 17 year old William Edward Pittaway, a Brass Filer, at 85 Watery Lane, Aston, with parents William, aged 46, a "Corporation Dustman"; mother Frances Elizabeth aged 40 (they had been married 18 years); siblings Alfred, 14 (occupation listed as 'M R Co Coy Boy' whatever that means); Agnes Maud, 12; Annie Elizabeth, 8; Ernest and Percy, both 1 (twins??).

Ernest Pittaway b1909 bham ref OND 6d 170
Percy Pittaway b1909 bham ref OND 6d 170

quite possibly twins.:)

Marriage for William Pittaway and Frances Elizabeth Smith 1892 Aston JAS ref 6d 460

Agnes Maud Pittaway marriage to Arthur H Masters 1927 Bham JAS ref 6d 9d

1930 electoral roll
1 Alice Place, Darwin Street - Agnes Maud & Arthur Herbert Masters
Agnes Maud Masters
1 Alice Place, Darwin Street
Agnes Maud Masters
Arthur Herbert Masters & Agnes Maud Masters
Agnes Maud Masters
48 Ridpool Road
Stechford
Agnes M & Arthur H Masters 48 Ridpool Rd, Stechford

WOW!
Thank you all. I thought I may get one or two comments in a week or so, but so many within such a short time is fantastic.
By all accounts I should have found this bracelet in Birmingham, William and I lived in the same area several times during our respective lives, it seems more luck than judgement that I do not know any of his relations.
I think I may have to look at the methods used in tracing people more closely and perhaps have a go at tracing my family.
Thanks again for your help.
Robin:)

Marriage for William E Pittaway to Florence Eadie OND Bham 1921 6d 543

Children:
William H Pittaway JFM Bham 1923 ref 6d 652
Edward T Pittaway JAS 1927 Bham ref 6d 237

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

I remember a Ted (Edward) Pittaway when I worked at the Met
Washwood Heath in the 70s/80s. I would have thought the age
was about right. Not a common name so it stands a chance.

Kind regards

Dave

I realise this is an old thread but on the off-chance anyone sees it. My husband is the Grand Nephew of Florence Eadie b 1882 Barnsley.Jill

Back