• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William Cowper Street School

I went to Cowper St school, both infants and junior...what was the entrance age for infant school? I finished juniors in '51 and I believe there were 4 forms. So...5,6 or 7 years of age?

Just curious.

Dave A

Hi My two brother and myself attended William Cowper whilst living in Farm Street. I attach a photo of the cricket team 1960-61 with both Mr Powell ( Headmaster ) and Mr Jones ( Year 1) Teacher and Cricket coach. We trained and played on the playground - tarmac so the ball lifted quickly. I hope someone might a have a football team photograph from the same period or other photos. Mrs Burton ( Ast Head) was also a great inspiration ( music, dance, handy-crafts and art )
Pupils in the photo include: Arthur Bent , John Shakespear, Jonny Vincent, Brian Ford, Paul Cornfield etc.
Ps will attach photo later....

hi cowperkid...a new school william cowper county community primary was built on the site of the old william cowper school in fact the old school bell is on display in the new build...my dad was the school crossing man in the 90s

lyn

Last edited:
hi cowperkid...a new school william cowper county community primary was built on the site of the old william cowper school in fact the old school bell is on display in the new build...my dad was the school crossing man in the 90s

lyn
Hi Lyn thanks for the info I did not know that , I apologize to Mark my mistake hope I didn't offend anyone .

thats ok cowperkid no offence at all...unless you still lived in the area you would not have known...all the best

lyn

Last edited:
mikejee thanks for the wonderful nostalgic photo of a proud and well loved building that had served it's generations of local people so well Gina I agree that there is now a faceless modern edifice in place but that is more befitting the urban(e) sprawl and I would hope that the present children of "our" old School (I left 1960) enjoy (except for cane,,ouch) and learn as well as we did through the dedication of good teachers in a well known area (Between Summer Lane & Newtown Row) Well, emerging from "the ragged school"here is one Ragged Trousered Philanthropist who still thanks William Cowper(poet)for as his Idiom said, God moves in a mysterious way/his wonders to perform; but I prefer his none religious quote pertaining to us children of "his" School,,were; The light shining out of Darkness; oky dokey John

Hi, my mom and auntie went to this school their names are Susan and Ann Scott , they lived on Summer Lane along with their other siblings Steven, Ian , Gail and Micheal and their parents Joan and Donald Scott. Does anyone remember them?.

Hi My two brother and myself attended William Cowper whilst living in Farm Street. I attach a photo of the cricket team 1960-61 with both Mr Powell ( Headmaster ) and Mr Jones ( Year 1) Teacher and Cricket coach. We trained and played on the playground - tarmac so the ball lifted quickly. I hope someone might a have a football team photograph from the same period or other photos. Mrs Burton ( Ast Head) was also a great inspiration ( music, dance, handy-crafts and art )
Pupils in the photo include: Arthur Bent , John Shakespear, Jonny Vincent, Brian Ford, Paul Cornfield etc.
Ps will attach photo later....
Hi..we lived opposite the school in the early 60s.. I attended the school until 1965.. I can remember Mr Webb who also ran the chess club a great teacher.... Moved out to kingstanding like a lot of summer landers....

Hi..we lived opposite the school in the early 60s.. I attended the school until 1965.. I can remember Mr Webb who also ran the chess club a great teacher.... Moved out to kingstanding like a lot of summer landers....
Hi Tony b i would love to see your photo , i was at the school about the same time ,the name john Shakespeare is very familiar to me i think we might have been friends i lived the other end of Cowper street

Hi I went to this school until 1963.
Great school loved it was captain of skittleball team in1963.
We were champions in 1962. I remember some of those names think they might have been a year ahead of me.

The attachment referenced in this thread (7916) appears to be broken. Can anyone tell me if the photo is still on here please? I did a search but did not have much success but then again I am a newbie to this site. My late mother attended Cowper street I am assuming between 1935-1944 so would love to find any photos or memories from that time period. Her sister s were both likely to have attended there too. Their names were Doris, Joyce & Connie Fenton. Doris, my mum was the eldest & connie the youngest. Thank you

hi chjajona the photo you mention was lost when the forum was hacked some years backand the poster is no longer with us so if anyone happened to save the photo that was posted on post 11 would you kindly repost it for us please...many thanks

lyn

I went to Cowper St school, both infants and junior...what was the entrance age for infant school? I finished juniors in '51 and I believe there were 4 forms. So...5,6 or 7 years of age?

Just curious.

Dave A
Hi Dave , first start of term after age 5 I believe.
Albert

Back