• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William Cowper Street School

Alf

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Anyone out there who went to Cowper Street School 1941/47.
Headteacher Mr Powell, Mr Jones, Miss Short, Miss Annie?
I have a School Play Photo 1946 with Albert Wayne and Derek Smith whos parents ran a shop in Asylum Road and Miss Hammond. :?:

the Summer lane kid went to Cowper street Brian Harding about the time you are enquiring about
would love to havs a gander at the photograph you mentioned

Cowper Street Photo

Hi John,
Your request will be with you soon. Brian Harding?

Wm Cowper

8) Went to Cowper St School 1954- 60, Lived next street, Ormond St.

School meals & Teachers were excellent, Mrs Burton a great Asst Head Teacher

Bit later than you guys but you have my total respect, Cheers John

ps Met Brian Harding at Nechells Library, The Man is a Genius & a Great
Guy to talk to, A living literal Library he proudly shares with Us,
Thanks & Cheers to Brian :wink:

Went to Cowper Street from 1949 to 1952, then onto that great old school Summer Lane.I lived next door to Cowper street school and to my abiding shame was one of the kids who nearly wrecked the place during one summer holiday. Me and my mate Alec Moss would climb on to the top of the roof and shoot ball bearings into Ormond and Cowper street. My wife Sheila Gibbons lived in a back to back opposite the school, up the yard by the gas light, this gas light was great when we started smoking. I have got a photo taken from by my wifes old house that shows part of the school. When you look at the schooling then and try to compare it with the rubbish nowadays, we factory fodder would all have been geniuses. Graham Twist.

John I put the photo up and Rod resized it for me don't know where it is now, if it can't be found I'll put it up again in a couple of days. :)

Alf - did you ever have any luck posting this photo? My Mom Mary Chapman was at Cowper St around that time.

Beatrice I will try to get it on the Forum by the morning:)

It needs some work on it but some kind forum member will sort it, by the way I'm 4th from the left.

Ist left Albert Wayne 3rd Left Ray Small, 5th Derek Smith can't remember the rest

I've sent you a PM

Last edited:
Here it is Beatrice
View attachment 7916

Albert Wayne 1st Left ( He had a copy first time) 3rd Left Ray Small,I'm 4th & 5th Left Derek Smith( His parents had a Grocer shop in the Street next to the Post Office by the Stork Pub?)
Miss Hammond was the Teacher by the door
Our John Houghton wanted to see the photo last time as Brian Harding The Summer Lane Kid went to the school, John also cleaned the photo up last time for me.

Last edited:
That's fantastic Alf. Many Thanks.

Mrs Hammond was my Mom's teacher when she passed her 11 plus so she'll love this picture. I'll see if she remembers anyone else. Mom was born in October 1936 so this was taken whilst she was still there I think.

Thanks again

Sept 1936 myself could have been in my class any photos:)

Must have known the teachers Miss Annie. Mr Jones. Miss Short. Headmaster Mr Powell

Last edited:
When I showed her one of your earlier posts yesterday she remembered all those teachers and the head. She is going to see if she can find any old photos but she doesn't think there are any school ones. I'll ask my Aunts if they have any.

Mom was trying to remember the names of the 2 lads who passed 11 plus with her - she thinks one was Sidney and the other Alan but can't remember surnames.

I'll see her tomorrow and show her the photo to see if it jogs her memory.

:) Fingers crossed.

Hope she remembers the play they all had to see it.

Where did she live when at the school?

Sorry Alf she doesn't remember it. She must have been in a different class too as she doesn't recognise anyone but Miss Hammond. She's chuffed to bits to see a photo of her.

She lived in Farm Street at the time.

Other teachers she remembers - Mrs Danby and Mr Dicks.

Other kids - Brenda Vaux (Farm Street), Muriel Seymour (Cowper Street), Terry Meason (Porchester Street).

I think one of her older Sisters would have been there until 1945/6 - Sheila Chapman, a couple of years older.

Hello Alf, I see you mentioned Stanley Storer in an earlier post, did he live in Aslylum Rd? I think he was my uncle Arthur's brother. regards Margaret

Margaret at last more movement on Cowper Street School I was begining to give up.

Yes Stanley did and Derek Smith in the Photo his Mom & Dad had a shop in the same Street

Last edited:
Back