• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William Burgess b c1857

H

harborne

I'm looking for William in 1871. His father was Henry Burgess b c1828 and his mother's name was Rebecca. There should also be a Mary Ann and Helen Burgess with them. Thanks.

Harborne

sistersue61

master brummie
Harborne, bit of a long shot, but would Henry senior have been known as Thomas?
The only family on the 1871 that I acn see with the other names has the head named Thomas, there is Rebeca - wife, Ellen and Mary Ann duaghters, Henery and William sons, at 8 ?Branster Street - Thomas and Rebeca and the girls were in the button trade, William was a gold chain maker,so does any of this fit with your family?
Sue

bewdley

master brummie
Hi Harborne

I have found a William Burgess with mother Rebeca, sisters Mary Ann and Ellen, but father named Thomas, probably not yours, but have copied transcription out below just in case

1871 census transcription details for: Branston Street, Birmingham
PrintClose
National Archive Reference:
RG number:
RG10
Piece:
Folio:
Page:
Reg. District:
Birmingham
Sub District:
All Saints
Parish:
Birmingham
Enum. District:
Ecclesiastical District:
City/Municipal Borough:
Birmingham
Address:
8 Branston Street, Birmingham
County:
Warwickshire

Name
Relation
Condition
Sex
Occupation
Where Born
BURGESS, Thomas
Head
M
Silver plater
Warwickshire
BURGESS, Rebeca
Wife
F
Warwickshire
BURGESS, Ellen
Daughter
F
Warwickshire
BURGESS, Mary A
Daughter
F
Warwickshire
BURGESS, Henery
Son
M
Warwickshire
BURGESS, William
Son
M
Gold chainmaker
Warwickshire

bewdley

H

harborne

Hi Sue and Bewdley, thanks very much for your input. This is the correct family, I had them on Ancestry last week but my subscription ran out before I could copy it, I was following so many other things up at the time. Either Henry has been mis-transcribed or he was also known as Thomas, which was also a family name and with so many other Henry's it wouldn't have been surprising if he'd been called something else! Your help is much appreciated.

Chris