• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

William Bosworth marriage details

Cazza58

proper brummie kid
I have just come across this site and as a newbie to the world of family trees was wondering if someone would be able to confirm if the details I have are correct. The marriage of William Bosworth and Susanna Mitchell 12 Apr 1790. My information shows both were widowed at the time. Susanna was previously married to Robert Mitchell (her maiden name was Morgan) but I have no details of William's previous wife. Do the church records show parents or witness details? Any help much appreciated.

The earlier the marriage the less information that records contain. Father's names don't start appearing on marriages until 1820s/1830s. Early marriages just list bride & groom.

With so little infomation to go on it's difficult to be certain of William's previous marriage. It could have been anywhere or anytime in the previous 20 or 30 years if he was much older than Susanna.

There are a couple of marriages in the 1760s - 1764 Aston to a Sarah Hines and 1769 Bham to a an Ann Whiley.

There are possible deaths for both prior to 1790 but can't be certain it's them. One for a Sarah is 1789 which could tie in with the second marriage.

Thank you for this info, I will look further into those names. It was wishful thinking that the marriage records would have parents names or even ages of the couple then that would help with birth dates. I have data that says they had 5 children who I believe were all baptised at St Philip's in Birmingham, so I will look further in that direction now.

Baptism that long ago will give few details:
William Bosworth baptised 6 April 1793 parents William and Susanna at St Philips. This is the total entry
1600089510100.png

These children are listed as having parents William and Susanna - all at St Philips
Sophia 11 July 1791
William as last post
James 13 June 1794
Susanna 17 April 1796
Caroline 1 May 1800

Dates are baptism dates not births.

There appears to be a burial for a Susannah Bosworth in 1815 and it lists her husband William which suggests he was still alive. Age is given as 54.

Then there is a burial for a William Bosworth in 1817. Age is given as 72 so it's possible he was much older.

The William Bosworth buried in 1817 was a silver smith from Mary Ann Street. He is listed in 1818 directory (info would have been gathered before he died).
In 1815 he was listed as a toy maker (toys in this instance does not refer to children's toys)
Do you know what occupation your ancestor followed?
the burial of Susanna in 1815 also has the address of Mary Ann Street.

There appears to be a burial for a Susannah Bosworth in 1815 and it lists her husband William which suggests he was still alive. Age is given as 54.

Then there is a burial for a William Bosworth in 1817. Age is given as 72 so it's possible he was much older.
I did wonder if William was much older, as somewhere I found a Baptism date of 1 Jan 1746 for a William and thought that might have been him but with his children's Baptisms in the 1790's that made him late 40's early 50's having children. This then brought two questions, did he have any children from his first marriage or was I looking at the wrong William. You have answered the 2nd part. Thank you. Whereabouts are William and Susannah buried?

The William Bosworth buried in 1817 was a silver smith from Mary Ann Street. He is listed in 1818 directory (info would have been gathered before he died).
In 1815 he was listed as a toy maker (toys in this instance does not refer to children's toys)
Do you know what occupation your ancestor followed?
the burial of Susanna in 1815 also has the address of Mary Ann Street.
This info is great as, the line I am a descendent of is his son James who has been listed as being a Silversmith/Jeweller, so would definitely say this is the correct family. James was convicted of theft in 1818 & sentenced to 7yrs. He arrived in Australia in 1820 at the age of 26. It is the next 30 years before his death in 1850 that are a bit of a mystery. But at least I have a bit more background on his parents. Thank you.

There is a record for a James Bosworth b1794 Bham in the War Office Registers. Your James appears to be the only baptism around that time so could be him.

There's also a couple of records for a William Bosworth in the Chelsea Pensioners but there are a number of baptisms for Williams around the time.

The earlier the marriage the less information that records contain. Father's names don't start appearing on marriages until 1820s/1830s. Early marriages just list bride & groom.

With so little infomation to go on it's difficult to be certain of William's previous marriage. It could have been anywhere or anytime in the previous 20 or 30 years if he was much older than Susanna.

There are a couple of marriages in the 1760s - 1764 Aston to a Sarah Hines and 1769 Bham to a an Ann Whiley.

There are possible deaths for both prior to 1790 but can't be certain it's them. One for a Sarah is 1789 which could tie in with the second marriage.
Hi, after doing a bit more research, I am inclined to think that William's 1st wife is Ann Whiley. I see they married 7 Sep 1769 at St Philip's and I have found a death date of 25 Jan 1789 which would also tie in with his 2nd marriage to Susanna on 12 Apr 1790. (If it was in fact Sarah Hines, when they married they were both widowed which means William must have been really unlucky!)
Would it be possible to check Baptism dates for any children William and Ann produced between 1770 - 1789?
I have found a possible 2 x William's (1 death date 9 Nov 1771 and 1 birth date 2 Jan 1777 and death 4 Oct 1778)
2 x Ann's (1 birth date 2 Oct 1779 and death 7 Feb 1782 and 1 death date 10 Sep 1785)
Thomas - death 31 Jan 1773
Mark - birth 13 Oct 1783 - death 27 Jan 1789 (2 days after his mother Ann's death)?
If in fact these are correct, apart from his wife Ann Whiley dying , all the children also passed before he went on to marry Susanna Mitchell in 1790.
I appreciate any assistance, but understand if I am asking too much. Regards Cazza

The birth dates you quoted are likely to be the baptism dates, dob were very rarely recorded that early. At this stage they'll just record baptism date, child's name and parents (sometimes just father).

It is unlikely that William married both Sarah Hines and Ann Whiley because there is a baptism for a William Bosworth just a few months earlier that the Ann's you mention - taking place at St Martin's 14 May 1779, parents William & Sarah.

It is probable that they are 2 different William Bosworths. As well as the William Bosworth baptised 1 Jan 1746 there is a William Bosworth baptised Coleshill 15 Apr 1745. So it could be these 2, 1 of them or none.

The birth dates you quoted are likely to be the baptism dates, dob were very rarely recorded that early. At this stage they'll just record baptism date, child's name and parents (sometimes just father).

It is unlikely that William married both Sarah Hines and Ann Whiley because there is a baptism for a William Bosworth just a few months earlier that the Ann's you mention - taking place at St Martin's 14 May 1779, parents William & Sarah.

It is probable that they are 2 different William Bosworths. As well as the William Bosworth baptised 1 Jan 1746 there is a William Bosworth baptised Coleshill 15 Apr 1745. So it could be these 2, 1 of them or none.
Thank you. Yes of course you are right, I did mean Baptism date not birth date (habit).
I agree (my) William did not marry both Sarah and Ann, was trying to work out which one before he then went on to marry Susanna Mitchell. So yes it does seem that there were two William Bosworths in the same area at the same time, which makes it difficult to work out which line to follow.

That far back records simply say things like: William son of William and Ann Bosworth and a date. There is no address or occupation to help you decide if you have the right person.

That far back records simply say things like: William son of William and Ann Bosworth and a date. There is no address or occupation to help you decide if you have the right person.
Thanks Janice. Yes I am finding that out that it really is a guessing game based on similarities and assumptions with areas, parish or same names handed down through the generations. Think I am at the end of the line with this one.

Back