• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William 'Billy' Kimber & Birmingham Boys

IzzyB

Brummie babby
I'm doing an informational essay and a video about who was Billy Kimber, the birmingham boys and the debunking of the Peaky Blinders.

I have done my research, I have a timeline of events but unfortunately I have a few holes in my information and I was wondering if anybody had any sources or knew where I could get sourcss from.

I'm currently interested in:
What happened when he went to War ( this is missing and its assumed he fled)

His family/ early life - I don't know anything about his parents or his childhood. I know one of his brothers joined the birmingham boys with him but other than that I cannot locate anything else.

What happened to the Birmingham Boys after they fled London after the peace treaty with the Sabinis.

I know most people can sweep over a lot of these facts, but I'd like to be as accurate as possible when compiling my resources.
If any of you can help i'd greatly appreciate.

Would Carl Chin have already done a wealth of research in his book The Real Peaky Blinders: Billy Kimber, the Birmingham Gang and the Racecourse Wars of the 1920s?

Would Carl Chin have already done a wealth of research in his book The Real Peaky Blinders: Billy Kimber, the Birmingham Gang and the Racecourse Wars of the 1920s?
This was one of my sources - the information I am missng is also not covered in his book unfortunately

When Billy died in torquay in 1945 his birthdate was given as 7thFeb 1883 as it was on 1939 register, in fact it was 7th Feb 1882 as his birth record on GRO and his baptism show,
He was christened on 18th Nov 1884, birthdate given 1882 along with his brother Henry (Harry) who was born in 1879
parents given as William Kimber and Catherine Farrell Kimber
William Kimber snr married Kate Kimber in 1875
In 1891 the Kimber family are in Summer Lane , Harry 11.William age 9,Joseph 6.Alfred 5.Ann 3 months
Joseph Kimber had a list of convictions during his life.

In 1901 William Kimber age 19 is in Her Majestys Prison Birmingham.
1911 he is in Salford Lancs a Commission agent

When Billy died in torquay in 1945 his birthdate was given as 7thFeb 1883 as it was on 1939 register, in fact it was 7th Feb 1882 as his birth record on GRO and his baptism show,
He was christened on 18th Nov 1884, birthdate given 1882 along with his brother Henry (Harry) who was born in 1879
parents given as William Kimber and Catherine Farrell Kimber
William Kimber snr married Kate Kimber in 1875
In 1891 the Kimber family are in Summer Lane , Harry 11.William age 9,Joseph 6.Alfred 5.Ann 3 months
Joseph Kimber had a list of convictions during his life.

In 1901 William Kimber age 19 is in Her Majestys Prison Birmingham.
1911 he is in Salford Lancs a Commission agent

Oh! Thank you very much - in regard to his family do you have any info on what happened to his siblings? I have a vaigue souce that says his brother was also part of the birmingham boys but i'm not sure to what extent.

H
Oh! Thank you very much - in regard to his family do you have any info on what happened to his siblings? I have a vaigue souce that says his brother was also part of the birmingham boys but i'm not sure to what extent.

Harry, his elder brother, was part of the operations. In 1907 Billy got 6 months for loitering with intent to commit a felony, and Harry one month with hard labour. Harry had been convicted in April 1895 for stealing cigarettes, but had not since been convicted.. At the trial it was said" He is an associate of his brother, and I have never known him do a day's work since he left the Army about a year ago."

H

Harry, his elder brother, was part of the operations. In 1907 Billy got 6 months for loitering with intent to commit a felony, and Harry one month with hard labour. Harry had been convicted in April 1895 for stealing cigarettes, but had not since been convicted.. At the trial it was said" He is an associate of his brother, and I have never known him do a day's work since he left the Army about a year ago."

Thank you!

I seem to have many conflicing sources that are telling it all slightly differently. I think my main issue now is figure out what happened when he got sent to War. I'm not even sure if he fought.

I can't find him in military records for 1914-18 he went to USA I think 1927/29 , he had a daughter, May in 1923 in London and married her mother Elizabeth Garham in 1926

Billys younger brother Joseph criminal record
1902 1 month for stealing 24 shillings
1903 3 months for theft
1904 June, 2months loitering with intent
1904 Sept, imprisoned for theft of purse and money
1905 2 months loitering with intent
1906 6months hard labour stealing £7.

Last edited:
I can't find him in military records for 1914-18 he went to USA I think 1927/29 , he had a daughter, May in 1923 in London and married her mother Elizabeth Garham in 1926

Billys younger brother Joseph criminal record
1902 1 month for stealing 24 shillings
1903 3 months for theft
1904 June, 2months loitering with intent
1904 Sept, imprisoned for theft of purse and money
1905 2 months loitering with intent
1906 6months hard labour stealing £7.

Unusual! I wonder what he did to avoid the draft as there's no other records of him during that time.

Back