• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wilkinson & Riddell Ltd, drapers Bull Street & Temple Row

I had my first suite fron there in the 60's very trendy corner one and stair carpet, Wendy wasn't right by the hairdressing warehoue I think it was called Ellisions?

I think you are right Patty forgot about Ellisons..I mostly went to Aston and Fincher. I will check with my brother Bob Jennings he worked at Wilkinson and Riddell in the 60's.

I started my working life at Wilkinson & Riddell aged 15 back in April 1960 as a Trainee Salesman. I remember Maurice and Tony (sales), Norman (stores), Jenny (packer?), Annie Austin (packer?) and Albert, the dear old fella who used to operate the goods lift.

I was only there for 3 months but have happy memories of the ladies in the packing department teaching me how to wrap the myriad of products properly for despatch, the salesmen taking every opportunity to wind us youngsters up and extended lunch breaks with Norman playing table tennis. I also recall, delivering a load of ladies hats to Lewis's in Corporation Street one morning.

The salesmen all had Morris Oxford saloons and used to park in an underground car park just along from our premises.

I also remember playing cricket for the firm's team (the 'Arcadians') - we played opposite the York Pub in Moor Green near the Dog Track.

Another fond memory from my short stay is the firm's Bank Holiday Excursion to Llandudno. Had lots of fun that day!

I have just purchased a book Wilkinson and Riddell Ltd 1851-1951. The main reason I bought it was because my brother worked there in the 60's. They were drapers in Birmingham they started their first warehouse in 1863 in Temple Row, 1884 Corporation Street, 1896 Cherry Street. I believe my brother worked in Edmund Street. The book looks facinating when I have read it I will post more.

I have just found a bill from this company where my parents bought curtains for their first home in July 1955! Would anyone like to see it?

would be great to see the bill as it will add a bit of history to the thread....thank you

lyn

Hi, my first job after leaving high school, was at WR&L in Smethwick around 1979-80. I worked in the warehouse as an order packer. WR&L sold haberdashery. My manager's name was Dotty, or Dot. She worked like a horse, but was very nice. Her son worked there too and he would always walk by my area (can't remember his name). Dot hated that...lol I had fond memories there. I was promoted to secretary/ receptionist in the main office. They loved when I spoke on the speaker "calling Mr. Stark" he was never around and we would always have to call for him. So funny, fond memories x

Steven, my best mate worked there and at Derby and at Burntree...Mike Parkes..did you know him??
Hello Leonard, it's been quite a while since iv'e been on here. Yes, I do remember Mike Parkes, I think he was area manager, a nice bloke as I remember. He always seemed to arrive with a bunch of paperwork under his arms. Nice times. Best wishes....Steve

Mr Wilkinson and Mr Riddell and other images from a booklet celebrating the opening of a new wing in 1925. The address is given 42 Cherry Street, but that may have been an admin address. Not sure. Viv.88F68021-2764-4297-880F-DFC4D5FF698E.jpegEF39AA7F-110F-416C-942F-5D54B239E83D.jpegF7B73419-65F4-4271-BC89-E9AD7AE48A86.jpeg563F7119-60B1-44E7-9744-EB2E585E63FA.jpeg61A8EF97-F465-4CC8-8A4F-44B5A2F36241.jpeg

Thirty W&R employees joined the 5th Btn South Staffs Territorials in 1914.
E5096F2B-9A5C-40A4-94BE-10AAA6A4859E.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Back